GDT: Free Agent Frenzy - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
"We'll see what happens" = "who's going to give me 8 million per ?"

It'll be about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Toronto can pay him. I think they will probably be the highest bidder in all honesty since he's so important to them.

I think there is a very very good chance that Kessel takes a lesser deal with another team. I think he'd love to go to a good team that is a contender where he can pop in 40 goals playing his game and put them over the top.

I think he'd take a smaller deal to go back home to Minnesota. He'd be much happier there. Also think there is a good chance he does a Hossa and goes to Pitt or Chicago.

We can't sign Phil but if Toronto is out of the playoff hunt at the deadline I'd love him back as a rental for the playoffs.

Like it or not Phil Kessel has seriously outperformed the deal we were too cheap to give him. Every Bruins fan should be extremely thankful that Burke with a no questions asked bottom 5 team outbid Nashville because we'd have literally got nothing for him from the Preds (Blum and a crappy prospect/low pick...ya that woulda been lovely;).) And 2010 season our team couldn't score in a brothel that was one of the most miserable regular seasons ever Tuukka outdeuling Miller in the first round and us going up 3-0 on Philly next round makes people forget how bad that team was offensively, I think if we had Phil that season instead of Satan we almost certainly make the finals and lose to Chicago.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
real talk: i would love to see Kessel back with the Bruins. the way he played in that Bruins/Leafs series, especially game 7 made me realize that he really is a gamer despite what the haters say.

2ka RasK*

real talk: i would love to see Kessel back with the Bruins. the way he played in that Bruins/Leafs series, especially game 7 made me realize that he really is a gamer despite what the haters say.

I thank our lucky stars everyday he couldn't hack it in Boston and weaseled his way out. The cup win was icing on the cake that he wishes he could eat.:p:

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
by couldn't hack it do you mean PPG in the playoffs and 36 goals in his last year?

2ka RasK*

by couldn't hack it do you mean PPG in the playoffs and 36 goals in his last year?

No, I mean strength and fitness training. Helping out on the defensive side of the puck. Working on dimensions of his game other than offense. Setting team oriented goals for himself. etc.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I thank our lucky stars everyday he couldn't hack it in Boston and weaseled his way out. The cup win was icing on the cake that he wishes he could eat.:p:

you can talk all the smack you want about him, but he has been a playoff warrior since entering the NHL. I'll gladly take a speedy sniper who amps up his game in the playoffs like Phil over a kid like Seguin who has a similar skillset but the opposite reaction to the playoffs.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't take back the trade because it has worked out very well for us but if we could afford the cap hit and not have to sacrifice any of our core team I'd take him back in a heartbeat. I also think the trade helped mold Kessel into a bit more rounded of a player (hur hur fat jokes)

I also hate when people (not necessarily you) imply that trading Kessel was some kind of catalyst in helping us win the cup. This team struggled quite a bit after losing Kessel and it was the Horton, Campbell and Seidenberg acquisitions and emergence of Marchand that got the team back on track.

Man I shudder to think about Kessel ending up on the pens and taking passes from Crosby.

2ka RasK*

you can talk all the smack you want about him, but he has been a playoff warrior since entering the NHL. I'll gladly take a speedy sniper who amps up his game in the playoffs like Phil over a kid like Seguin who has a similar skillset but the opposite reaction to the playoffs.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't take back the trade because it has worked out very well for us but if we could afford the cap hit and not have to sacrifice any of our core team I'd take him back in a heartbeat. I also think the trade helped mold Kessel into a bit more rounded of a player (hur hur fat jokes)

I also hate when people (not necessarily you) imply that trading Kessel was some kind of catalyst in helping us win the cup. This team struggled quite a bit after losing Kessel and it was the Horton, Campbell and Seidenberg acquisitions and emergence of Marchand that got the team back on track.

Man I shudder to think about Kessel ending up on the pens and taking passes from Crosby.

He didn't want to be here. He didn't help us win the cup. So I say good riddance and Thank You.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
:laugh: Phil Kessel was the best hockey player iced during that ECQF series for both teams.

Listen, I get the residual distaste that he didn't wanna be here, but Phil answered the bell in that series for me. He doesn't fit Boston's culture and that's fine...as we're seeing, it's become a big theme this offseason....but that's not to say one bit the guy's a total schlep. If you don't see that he's got elite scoring skills regardless of all the tired, pedestrian and recycled fat jokes, then you're not paying attention. Period, end of story.

He can go someplace where he doesn't need to be THE guy, someplace on a team that can shelter his perceived weakness (defensive play) that has a defensively minded system so that he really can do what he's brought there to do; score goals.

Good lord, I've literally talked myself into seeing Kessel go to Minnesota. It's clearly ZP's team, he doesn't have to be "the guy" he knows the area well, laid back, family, nowhere near the pressure cooker of Toronto (or Boston for that matter). That gives Sota front liners like Mikko, ZP, Pominville (who's a UFA after next year I believe), then Suter and Brodin on the blue line....pretty solid core group themselves.

I still think Taranna manages to sign him....but I can absolutely see Phil leaving and no reason to think Minnesota wouldn't be high on his list of places to visit.

member 96824

:laugh: Phil Kessel was the best hockey player iced during that ECQF series for both teams.

Listen, I get the residual distaste that he didn't wanna be here, but Phil answered the bell in that series for me. He doesn't fit Boston's culture and that's fine...as we're seeing, it's become a big theme this offseason....but that's not to say one bit the guy's a total schlep. If you don't see that he's got elite scoring skills regardless of all the tired, pedestrian and recycled fat jokes, then you're not paying attention. Period, end of story.

He can go someplace where he doesn't need to be THE guy, someplace on a team that can shelter his perceived weakness (defensive play) that has a defensively minded system so that he really can do what he's brought there to do; score goals.

Good lord, I've literally talked myself into seeing Kessel go to Minnesota. It's clearly ZP's team, he doesn't have to be "the guy" he knows the area well, laid back, family, nowhere near the pressure cooker of Toronto (or Boston for that matter). That gives Sota front liners like Mikko, ZP, Pominville (who's a UFA after next year I believe), then Suter and Brodin on the blue line....pretty solid core group themselves.

I still think Taranna manages to sign him....but I can absolutely see Phil leaving and no reason to think Minnesota wouldn't be high on his list of places to visit.

Yeah but he's fat and ugly.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
Yeah but he's fat and ugly.

Oh, he's an ugly mother****er.

However, he makes a ****ton more money than I do, and let's face it, my handsomely chiseled features just can't and won't match up well against the bennies.

It's the man.....man.

The fat thing cracks me up too. Do people just assume these guys don't go through conditioning training? Like it's a piece of cake to go out on the ice for 20 minutes a night 10-15 times, bang your body around, quick starts and stops sprint skating against the best in the world?

****. Some dumb mother****ers around these parts. I didn't realize HF Bruins could create a whole expansion team with all the untapped, unrealized talent sitting at home on their collective *****.

2ka RasK*

Best player in the ECQF?

Nice!

I'm a fan of fairy tales and literature in general. Here's a poem by Flyguy

My ***** better have my money. Through rain sleet or snow. My ***** better have my money. Not half, Not some, but all my cash. 'Cause if she don't, i'm gonna put my foot in her ***

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
Best player in the ECQF?

Nice!

I'm a fan of fairy tales and literature in general. Here's a poem by Flyguy

My ***** better have my money. Through rain sleet or snow. My ***** better have my money. Not half, Not some, but all my cash. 'Cause if she don't, i'm gonna put my foot in her ***

So then who's your choice?

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
Lucic, Krecji, Bergeron van Riemsdyk

Totally concede Krejci. Was a beast the whole run and certainly round one. Take one of either Krejci or Kessel from their respective team and that series doesn't go 7.

Bergeron was virtually non-existent until game 7. Lucic hit the sheet in a big way at benefit because of Krejci, but even his real impact wasn't until game 7. JVR spent half the series flopping around like a salmon going upstream.

My whole point is....you lot can laugh can at Phil, make the same old fat, out of shape pancakes jokes, but the man is an elite scorer and can play hockey among the best of them. The numbers show that. Put aside his awkwardness, adjustment to certain systems, the way he left Boston, ect whatever....the man puts the puck in the net.

Anyone who doesn't recognize that is just plain blind and not particularly interested in debating based on the merits of the conversation.

2ka RasK*

Totally concede Krejci. Was a beast the whole run and certainly round one. Take one of either Krejci or Kessel from their respective team and that series doesn't go 7.

Bergeron was virtually non-existent until game 7. Lucic hit the sheet in a big way at benefit because of Krejci, but even his real impact wasn't until game 7. JVR spent half the series flopping around like a salmon going upstream.

My whole point is....you lot can laugh can at Phil, make the same old fat, out of shape pancakes jokes, but the man is an elite scorer and can play hockey among the best of them. The numbers show that. Put aside his awkwardness, adjustment to certain systems, the way he left Boston, ect whatever....the man puts the puck in the net.

Anyone who doesn't recognize that is just plain blind and not particularly interested in debating based on the merits of the conversation.

Sorry, he's not getting my milk for free.

member 96824

Sorry, he's not getting my milk for free.

I'm sure he's losing sleep over it too. Stay strong! Keep fighting the good fight!

Kessel didn't fit our system or identity that we wanted to have as a hockey team. Doesn't make him less of a hockey player, we just tend to be a picky bunch as an organization :)

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

I will. I actually like Kessel, always have, always will (unless for some reason he turns into a Matt Cooke)

Two points you brought up. First, you called him an elite scorer. Second, you proved otherwise when you stated "The numbers show that." Fact is, the numbers show he's a very good goal scorer, but not elite.

Steven Stamkos is an elite goal scorer (.557 GPG in his career)
Alex Ovechkin is an elite goal scorer (.617 GPG in his career)
Phil Kessel is a very good goal scorer (.367 GPG in his career)

Kessel's best scoring season was just slightly better (4 goals) than Oveckin's worst season and only outnumbers Stamkos' rookie season of 23. (lockout excluded of course)

Jeff Carter on the other hand averages .404 goals per game over his career and his season high of 46 is 10 more than Kessel's and Carter matched Kessel's one other time. Is Jeff Carter an elite goal scorer? The numbers say no, therefore Kessel's must be a no too.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
While Kessel has almost reached this total, I still get a kick out of the fans/media who refer to him as a guy who`ll "get ya 40".

Dom is right, Kessel is a very good scorer but when Stamkos has the puck on his stick in the offensive zone, I get the feeling he`s burying it every time....elite

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
While Kessel has almost reached this total, I still get a kick out of the fans/media who refer to him as a guy who`ll "get ya 40".

Dom is right, Kessel is a very good scorer but when Stamkos has the puck on his stick in the offensive zone, I get the feeling he`s burying it every time....elite

Thanks Andrew. First time today :D I guess I'm not blind then?

BTW, isn't this against HF rules:

Anyone who doesn't recognize that is just plain blind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad