Speculation: Free Agent FRENZY! Part III Trade and proposals

Status
Not open for further replies.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
exciting read about Granberg but is this just Holzer 2013?
I find thats very unfair to both guys. Holzer was shoved into a role he shouldn't have. He should have gotten the Franson and Fraser treatment. Given smaller minutes before then bring on the bigger minutes after he shows he's not a liablility defensively. I understand the whole you don't know what you got unless you see it but he should have been sheltered instead of playing big minutes right away. Holzer deserves another shot , in the right circumstances . The guy has the potential and the tools to be a pretty solid NHL'er but he needs to be brought in slowly first and then go from there

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I find thats very unfair to both guys. Holzer was shoved into a role he shouldn't have. He should have gotten the Franson and Fraser treatment. Given smaller minutes before then bring on the bigger minutes after he shows he's not a liablility defensively. I understand the whole you don't know what you got unless you see it but he should have been sheltered instead of playing big minutes right away. Holzer deserves another shot , in the right circumstances . The guy has the potential and the tools to be a pretty solid NHL'er but he needs to be brought in slowly first and then go from there

Very good points.

The biggest problem is at what point do you bring Holzer in? I think the Leafs have too many tweener d-men at this point.

Do you bring Holzer in halfway through the season with small expectations or does he kick someone out of the top 6?

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Very good points.

The biggest problem is at what point do you bring Holzer in? I think the Leafs have too many tweener d-men at this point.

Do you bring Holzer in halfway through the season with small expectations or does he kick someone out of the top 6?
Well that is the big question, he was removed after 22 games so someone came in after him who I can't remember. We did bring in O'Byrne at the deadline which could have been used for Holzer to come in and take the bottom pairing minutes then. Thats what I would have done , instead of acquiring O'Byrne just use Holzer and see how he does then. It was as big of a risk of having Holzer start the season as it was O'Byrne closing it out.

Morlesio14*

Let's wait it out and get good value for him instead lol.

one problem about that is, when we resign all of our RFA's and havent traded liles. we would only have like 1 mil in cap space. And not too much space to improve our defence before the start of the season

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Just because their are rumors of Clifford being on the block.... IF we were able to move Liles contract, how many people would or would not trade the rights to Komarov for Clifford?

Clifford would move one of Orr or McLaren out of the lineup, while giving us another fighter, who can play. L.A has to move Clifford, not because they want to, but because the salary cap. Meanwhile,Komarov has repeatedly said he intends to come back, so him being gone for this season, would benefit L.A, as next year, with the cap increasing, they should be able to afford him and he immediately should fit into their bottom 6.

It's just a thought that shot through my mind, personally after long thought, I decided I'd prefer to hang out to Komarov, as I think his work ethic, defensive play, pesky play and likeable personality is just to valuable to this team going forward.

Still I'm interested in others opinions on this thought.

Tyler Biggs*

Leafs are the only NHL team in the top 50 sports franchises in the world! That's awesome!

Anyways why the dumping on Bozie? TSN rankings had Clarkson at #2 and Bozie at #4 on the UFA list (IIRC). Several teams made overtures to Bozie during the 'talk' window. He wanted to stay with the Leafs. Kessel most likely will be a lock as Bozie is staying. Things might have been different in Game 7 if Bozie had been there to take those two defensive zone face-offs IMO. An undrafted player who gets better each year. Glad he is back.

Bozak is arguably a better fit for our team then the other centres that were UFAs this year (Filppula, Weiss) and much younger than Ribero so a good choice by the Leafs. Kadri can now ascend in the next couple of years to 1st line centre and Bozak will take over 2nd line duties and it will be seamless. Leafs have the youngest team in the league and are getting younger and they will be very tough to play against, opposing teams will be hurting badly when they take on the Leafs this year.

Signing Bozak to a reasonable cap friendly contract, was a huge step in locking up his good friend Phil Kessel. End of story.

Tyler Biggs*

Why is Bozak a good 3rd line center? He plays on the first line and gets better every year. Everyone judges him and he plays hard, gets points, sets up plays, scores good goals, wins faceoffs, plays well both ways, handles the pressure of being a Leaf and the media well. Give the guy a break, he's great and next year he will be great again and people will still think he shouldn't be playing on the first line. He's a better choice than Weiss or Filppula and I'm so happy the Leafs didn't go after those plugs who probably would have crumbled and disappointed everyone if they played in a hard market like Toronto.

He takes a lot of our defensive zone faceoffs, plays with Kessel who last time I checked finished tied for 7th in scoring last season. I really don't care about Bozak's #'s cause the role he plays is very valuable to the team. A true 1st line center? NO but playing in Carlye's system for now it works, one has to think down the road a big name #1 center will land in TO (or Kadri will hopefully develop into one) and Bozak will still be a big part of the team. It's not always about points, there is a lot more to this game that wins Championships!

I think Bozak is due for a breakout year, he keeps improving. The big reason he's back is he's versatile and he listens to Carlyle. I am hoping he'll get at least 50pts this year.

I compare Bozak to Mike Fisher. Fisher's best season was 25 goals, 53 points in 09-10. He averages 20 goals, 50 points and gets paid the exact same number. But, sometimes it's not all about the points. It's what you bring to the team, and Bozak has improved every year in the smaller, less analyzed points of the game. I think the Leafs missed him in game 7.

Glad you resigned Tyler. I would have him on my team anytime good signing. Go Leafs Go Baby!

Rumor was the Habs were going to make an attempt to sign him until they found out he was over 6 ft tall.

samyy

Apr 14, 2009
Leafs are the only NHL team in the top 50 sports franchises in the world! That's awesome!

Anyways why the dumping on Bozie? TSN rankings had Clarkson at #2 and Bozie at #4 on the UFA list (IIRC). Several teams made overtures to Bozie during the 'talk' window. He wanted to stay with the Leafs. Kessel most likely will be a lock as Bozie is staying. Things might have been different in Game 7 if Bozie had been there to take those two defensive zone face-offs IMO. An undrafted player who gets better each year. Glad he is back.

Bozak is arguably a better fit for our team then the other centres that were UFAs this year (Filppula, Weiss) and much younger than Ribero so a good choice by the Leafs. Kadri can now ascend in the next couple of years to 1st line centre and Bozak will take over 2nd line duties and it will be seamless. Leafs have the youngest team in the league and are getting younger and they will be very tough to play against, opposing teams will be hurting badly when they take on the Leafs this year.

Signing Bozak to a reasonable cap friendly contract, was a huge step in locking up his good friend Phil Kessel. End of story.

They were ranked decent in a weak UFA class
Hes a 3rd line center making 2nd line money
Its just not good business to throw around cap space where you don't need it, we have a Kadri at 2C and Bolland/Colborne and maybe Gauthier who could step up in 2 years into a 3C role. That money could have gone elsewhere.
And if Bozak is the deciding factor for Kessel thats pretty pathetic for him as a professional.

That cap space could have helped in acquiring a #2 D or a #1 C which are the real needs of this team, not a borderline second line center. Instead were going to pay Bozie for 5 years to do something that he can be very easily replaced at.

Look Bozie is a decent player but this just stinks of the whole "we can't find anyone else so lets desperately sign him" type of deal, im actually quite concerned they didn't look at Weiss who has at least produced to the level of a decent first line C. Considering what the Wings signed him for I would rater have payed an extra 700k to Weiss then sign Bozie at all.

Im not saying hes a bad player by any means but its just bad roster/cap management, I predict he'll eventually get traded or bought out, especially if he doesn't improve and as our depth at C gets better. They should have signed a better defencemen or traded for one but thats just my opinion

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
They were ranked decent in a weak UFA class
Hes a 3rd line center making 2nd line money
Its just not good business to throw around cap space where you don't need it, we have a Kadri at 2C and Bolland/Colborne and maybe Gauthier who could step up in 2 years into a 3C role. That money could have gone elsewhere.
And if Bozak is the deciding factor for Kessel thats pretty pathetic for him as a professional.

That cap space could have helped in acquiring a #2 D or a #1 C which are the real needs of this team, not a borderline second line center. Instead were going to pay Bozie for 5 years to do something that he can be very easily replaced at.

Look Bozie is a decent player but this just stinks of the whole "we can't find anyone else so lets desperately sign him" type of deal, im actually quite concerned they didn't look at Weiss who has at least produced to the level of a decent first line C. Considering what the Wings signed him for I would rater have payed an extra 700k to Weiss then sign Bozie at all.

Im not saying hes a bad player by any means but its just bad roster/cap management, I predict he'll eventually get traded or bought out, especially if he doesn't improve and as our depth at C gets better. They should have signed a better defencemen or traded for one but thats just my opinion

Im not sure Nonis had much choice with Bozak. Only viable options were to sign Weiss, Filpulla or Riberio, all older and got more cash than Bozak or make a trade. Trading for a top centre would likely cost us Reilly/Gardiner and our first, so not a move Nonis was willing to make.

4.25 million is a little high for Bozak, IMO, would prefer around 3.5 million but its not a ridiculous overpayment like we gave Grabo. Going into next season with Bozak, Kadri, Bolland and McClement. While we still lack that that true number one guy, it does give us some depth at the position and still think there is room for growth with both Kadri and Bozak. Its not perfect, but maybe best we can hope for right now.

If you think about it, even the contending teams have holes in their lineup. I like our wingers, and feel they are as good as most teams in our conference on the wall, and Nonis has upgraded the most important position...goaltending.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Just because their are rumors of Clifford being on the block.... IF we were able to move Liles contract, how many people would or would not trade the rights to Komarov for Clifford?

Clifford would move one of Orr or McLaren out of the lineup, while giving us another fighter, who can play. L.A has to move Clifford, not because they want to, but because the salary cap. Meanwhile,Komarov has repeatedly said he intends to come back, so him being gone for this season, would benefit L.A, as next year, with the cap increasing, they should be able to afford him and he immediately should fit into their bottom 6.

It's just a thought that shot through my mind, personally after long thought, I decided I'd prefer to hang out to Komarov, as I think his work ethic, defensive play, pesky play and likeable personality is just to valuable to this team going forward.

Still I'm interested in others opinions on this thought.

I would love Clifford in a Leafs jersey (probably playing 3rd line instead of 4th at this point though).

I think LA would want more in a trade as well, and I'd actually prefer to keep Komarov's rights for when he decides to come back. I'm a fan of his - great 4th liner.

I would give up a fair chunk of prospect/pick sort of return for Clifford (not really sure on specifics) and go with something like:

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Clarkson
Clifford-Bolland-Kulemin
McLaren-McClement-Orr
Colborne

Not much offense from that 3rd line but it should be entertaining.

Asif16*

Anyone know any tidbits about our schedule yet? I know the whole thing hasnt been released yet and it should be soon.

But Other fanbases already know like the first team they are gonna face, home or away and the date its gonna be on. Even though its probably gonna be montreal, im still eager to know lol.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
Anyone know any tidbits about our schedule yet? I know the whole thing hasnt been released yet and it should be soon.

But Other fanbases already know like the first team they are gonna face, home or away and the date its gonna be on. Even though its probably gonna be montreal, im still eager to know lol.

Getting a bit sick of opening against the Habs, would be nice to mix it up a bit.

Asif16*

Saw a rumor that we will face Detroit.

Lol yeah completely forgot that Detroit is gonna be in the east next year let alone our division :laugh:.

Gonna have to get used to that.

And i wouldnt mind a A redwings/Leafs opening matchup. Changes it up from a leafs/habs all the time.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
any rumours of an extension for Phil being announced anytime soon? I'm surprised the Leafs haven't extended him yet.

Now that Bozak has been extended I'm sure Nonis has shifted to talks with Kessel while he's getting the RFA's figured out ... The two probably go hand in hand as it will relate to future cap space next season, and it's likely Nonis wants to make sure the team won't be in cap trouble if he is to resign all the RFA's and want to extend Kessel

Likely talking with Phaneuf about an extension too for the same reasons .. Wouldn't surprise me to see an extension announced around the start of training camp .. Nonis will probably take his time but won't want to drag it out into the season

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Howard Berger @Berger_BYTES 47m
Source tells me speculation that #Leafs have discussed a trade involving captain Dion Phaneuf is accurate. And, with more than one team.

...would love to see a nice Leafs blockbuster. We usually do good on blockbusters.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Howard Berger @Berger_BYTES 47m
Source tells me speculation that #Leafs have discussed a trade involving captain Dion Phaneuf is accurate. And, with more than one team.

...would love to see a nice Leafs blockbuster. We usually do good on blockbusters.

I highly doubt it. Unless a better d is coming back, trading Dion hurts the Leafs. Berger, not unlike Watters will do just about anything to garner any for of attention.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I highly doubt it. Unless a better d is coming back, trading Dion hurts the Leafs. Berger, not unlike Watters will do just about anything to garner any for of attention.

Agreed ... I'm puzzled as to why exactly this would happen...

Unless Phaneuf is dealt and Nonis wants to give a massive offer sheet to someone like Pietrangelo, and in the meantime get some good young assets (in prospects/picks) for Phaneuf ... That way the picks the Leafs would lose in OS Pietrangelo would be made up for by getting picks/prospects for Phaneuf

... But that seems farfetched

Phaneuf might help get a true #1 centre but with Bozak resigned, Kadri, and Bolland being acquired .. Seems like the centre position is set for Toronto for the upcoming season .. Plus the wingers are set with Kessel, Lupul, JVR, Clarkson, Kulemin ... Not sure it makes sense to get rid of your best d-man for a marginal upgrade in a position of strength

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad