Speculation: Free Agent FRENZY! Part III Trade and proposals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Mini-rant.....

Does the term "re-up" annoy anyone else? Is it supposed to mean "re-signed up"? Its probably the most ridiculous term in the sports lexicon. Just sounds dumb.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Ian White, Tomas Kaberle, Carlo Coliacavo, Brett Lebda

so...
No?

blasted_sabre
Re-upped bugs me too. because

it's not even re-signed up. it's just. re-signed. so and so re-signed.

JMcLeaf

Roman Hamrlik did well with Phaneuf in the past right? 39 now though so probably not someone we should be interested in

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Are we able to trade Clarkson to Edmonton for someone with talent?

Penalty Kill Icing*

Mini-rant.....

Does the term "re-up" annoy anyone else? Is it supposed to mean "re-signed up"? Its probably the most ridiculous term in the sports lexicon. Just sounds dumb.

Disagree. The most ridiculous sports term to me is "former first round pick."

A player drafted in 1st round is still a 1st round pick after 7 years.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Are we able to trade Clarkson to Edmonton for someone with talent?

Your still whining ...

louie.gif

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto

To just say someone "is a 1st-Round pick" implies the most recent draft class to most people, I think. They either "were a 1st-Round pick", or "are a former 1st-Round pick" when they were selected in a previous draft-class.

You're right, they're still a 1st-Round pick, but there is a reason the term is used.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
that's right. technically you can say it like this

Formerly, a first round pick Ryan Getzlaf. or
Former first round pick, Ryan Getzlaf.

it still indicates that they are a first round pick just.. in the past.

Kbs

Jun 30, 2008
London ON

I never really considered that until you mentioned it. Now I won't be able to use that phrase because it won't sound right to me anymore :laugh:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Does time exist?

They are all formerly the first round picks for a given year. You can also address them as a 20xx first round pick. Just as a former first round pick or he was a first round pick.

It doesn't matter a first round pick is always going to be a first round pick or a former first round pick. It simply doesn't matter how you say it.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
so...
No?

blasted_sabre
Re-upped bugs me too. because

it's not even re-signed up. it's just. re-signed. so and so re-signed.

Its old US military in origin, meaning re-enlisting. I think it came from "signing up" when you first enlist, so re-enlisting is like re-signing up, hence "re-up." I am not sure if I heard it being used for sports contracts more than maybe 10 years ago.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
Any notable defensemen left in free agency?

Ron Hainsey, Marek Zidlicky, Toni Lydman, Tom Gilbert, Ian White too I guess. Not a great crop.

Best outcome would be the FA market dries up and Leafs end up signing one of those guys on a cheap 1 year deal, assuming they can create some cap space by getting rid of Liles (though I guess why would anyone want Liles over those guys?).

canary

Jan 20, 2011
Toronto
Mini-rant.....

When I hear the term "re-up" the first thing I think about is not sports...

Rockinz

Leafs 4 the cup
Feb 25, 2010
Leaf Land
I don't think there is a viable option left in the FA market on D... I think we need to trade for a #2 RHD that can play with Dion!

Bieksa
Burns
Robidas

I think any of the above would fit well IMO and a home run for the club.

Peitro would be the absolute grand slam but that is wishful thinking

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'd easily welcome back Ian White on a one year deal around 700k-1M. I'm not sure if he would take that but he'd get a good chance at making the team.

Depending on how the Franson negotiations go, he could be a decent 2nd PP replacement. He also played really well for Detroit the season before.

I think he fits better than Gilbert... but either would be solid moves. I'm just not sure we can fit them under the cap unless Fraser is let go and/or a trade is made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad