Speculation: Free Agent Frenzy Part II - Who is left?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
TSN reports Rangers as "one potential" suitor for Matt Martin.

Larry Brooks - Matt Martin is in demand on trade market. Seriously. Following payment of his $1.5M signing bonus by Leafs (likely yesterday), acquiring club would owe him $750,000 this year and $1.75M next year. Cap hit is $2.5M per.
10:01 AM - Jul 2, 2018

I would be fine with him on those low risk terms, but also fine with passing.

With each bad contract that comes off the board, I'm giving a slight fist pump.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Leaf fans in a nutshell

*Before Brooks tweet about Martin being in demand*

"Yeah a fourth for your team to take Martin sounds good"

*After Brooks tweet*

"Oh we'll be able to trade him for a third now"
I’m confused. How should they react to that?

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
How did the Rangers end up with so many low character players?

I mean they must be or else this pursuit of character players would not be deemed as important.

Or perhaps they have plenty of character, and are really looking for grit.

In which case that is a different story, bring back McLeod on a 1 year 1M deal as once that becomes less of a priority, like it does every season, they can at least scratch him and/or bury his contract.

If higher-level character players were really what they want, they missed the boat with Ferland. He was on the block. Rangers had plenty of trading chips. Either they didn't want him or didn't see him as that type of a guy. I think this is a miss from Gorton here.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
How did the Rangers end up with so many low character players?

I mean they must be or else this pursuit of character players would not be deemed as important.

Or perhaps they have plenty of character, and are really looking for grit.

In which case that is a different story, bring back McLeod on a 1 year 1M deal as once that becomes less of a priority, like it does every season, they can at least scratch him and/or bury his contract.

I don't think it's low character, I think it's a different type of personality.

I always thought that the last group of guys lacked a certain aggressiveness. They were all happy to get along and have fun and do things away from the rink. But there wasn't a sense that someone was lighting a fire under their asses, or that there were a few guys who would have frank conversations with their teammates.

That was somewhat magnified by the type of coach AV was, and some of the guys in leadership positions. That's not to say they were bad leaders, it's to say that the group may have benefited from personalities who were more inclined to go in there and be blunt. It was believed that Smith was going to be one of those guys, but we know what happened there.

What you're starting to see now is the potential formation of a different personality for this team --- which is one of the primary reasons I was not in favor of bringing back the guys we just traded.

I think it's most easily lumped in with "character", but the truth is that I think there's a number of different elements to that category.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

I always thought that the last group of guys lacked a certain aggressiveness. They were all happy to get along and have fun and do things away from the rink. But there wasn't a sense that someone was lighting a fire under their asses, or that there were a few guys who would have frank conversations with their teammates.

That was somewhat magnified by the type of coach AV was, and some of the guys in leadership positions. That's not to say they were bad leaders, it's to say that the group may have benefited from personalities who were more inclined to go in there are be blunt. It was believed that Smith was going to be one of those guys, but we know what happened there.

What you're starting to see now is the potential formation of a different personality for this team --- which is one of the primary reasons I was not in favor of bringing back the guys we just traded.

I think it's most easily lumped in with "character", but the truth is that I think there's a number of different elements to that category.

I said this elsewhere, but the tip of the spear in that regard seems to be Andersson. He looks like he’s going to make it very uncomfortable on his teammates if they accept any degree of losing. He’s already looked at as the leader amongst his fellow prospects. It’s why I’m really starting to come around on him.

We had this conversation after the loss in game 7 against TB. This is exactly what you talked about. Seems that Gorton and company agreed with you.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Can someone explain why Yakupov flopped?

Kind of the same reason Brendl did.

Incomplete player, peaked in Junior. Didn't progress, remained the same player he was at 16.

Add to that that he is small and his shot was more about quick release than power or accuracy. Players like Yak are the reason why potential elite scorers like Zadina have question marks surrounding them on draft day.

Reactions: PraX and Sarge13

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008

That was somewhat magnified by the type of coach AV was, and some of the guys in leadership positions. That's not to say they were bad leaders, it's to say that the group may have benefited from personalities who were more inclined to go in there and be blunt. It was believed that Smith was going to be one of those guys, but we know what happened there.

That is fine and all, but do they really expect Matt Martin to light the teams fire so to speak?

Why not players who have a motor, let them go out there skate around causing some havoc within a defined system, basically much of what Vegas did last year?

What they seem to be looking for is a slightly more talented McLeod which will be 3 or 4 times as expensive (in some form, contract or trade assets) without the 3 or 4 times the talent level.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA

Torts was my guy because he's that alpha.oersonality. u play like crap he'll call u out on it. But he always gave u a 2nd chance.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I said this elsewhere, but the tip of the spear in that regard seems to be Andersson. He looks like he’s going to make it very uncomfortable on his teammates if they accept any degree of losing. He’s already looked at as the leader amongst his fellow prospects. It’s why I’m really starting to come around on him.

We had this conversation after the loss in game 7 against TB. This is exactly what you talked about. Seems that Gorton and company agreed with you.

Also was evident that MSL brought that sense of vocal leadership to the room when he was there. Smith is that type of personality as well.

I wonder if AV really had an effect on that as well

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
I want no part of Lucic unless we get an absolute boatload with him. His contract is long and awful.

Martin's contract isn't terrible, and he would likely be somewhat useful, so I wouldn't mind if we picked him up.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
For 5 years.

When do you actually intend on competing?
Ppl act like there's no options.

If he waives his nmc to come here u can..

Trade him with salary retained
Buy him out
Compliance buy him out
Keep him as a 3rd liner with snarl
Healthy scratch him.

Benefits of having a metric ton of cap space and few long term commitments. If the price is right I'd gladly take on lucic. I still think he can be a productive player and I think Edmonton would pay a premium to get him outta there.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
For 5 years.

When do you actually intend on competing?

I really don't think Lucic is as cancerous of a contract as some are making i out to be. He is a bad contract, that I agree with

He is 30 years old.

His average ppg going all the way back to his rookie season puts him at ~49 points per 82 games That includes his rookie year and this past season where he had a disappointing season.

If you ignore his 27 points in 77 game rookie season only, he averages 51 points per 82 games.

It would seem like this past year was the outlier, not the rule.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
If the Rangers are in on de Haan and Martin, they need to sign de Haan first. Trading for Martin, gives Toronto more cap, which they would presumably use to sign de Haan

Reactions: cheech70

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Can someone explain why Yakupov flopped?

As an NHL player? Lots of skill and a good shot, but I think his problem was just reading the plays. I don't think his hockey IQ is the worst I've ever seen, but it's where most of the fault lies. He really should've played in the minors before making the jump. Acclimating to the pro-level could've had him turn out markedly different. I think they brought him to the NHL too quickly, and while his skills were there at the pro level, his play reads weren't. I think you'll just see him as a bottom-6 player.

Reactions: PraX
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad