Speculation: Free Agent Frenzy Part II - Who is left?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lundy HOF

May 23, 2016
I see no reason why we would sign De Haan, especially on a multi-year deal. The logjam on the left side is only going to get worse over time.

But sign him for...reasons I guess?

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
It'd be a bit weird if the Rangers signed de Haan. Not sure where he fits unless the Rangers found a taker for Staal or intended to move Skjei.

My guess is his agent fed Lawson a crumb to boost his "insider" status and get a better offer from the Isles or Devils.

Reactions: jas and lucky13

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
Its pretty amazing with all the moves and we aren't involved. It seems that teams on the cusp realize it is realistic to to try win the Cup. So the heavy rumor involves EK. Did they offer him a contract in good faith or was it to get rebuffed by EK then able to save some face while trading low? If we have a chance with Ryans contract is it a long term move or is he available this trading deadline? I wonder if we get EK can we flip him to the Oilers and reap a bounty with money retained?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I see no reason why we would sign De Haan, especially on a multi-year deal. The logjam on the left side is only going to get worse over time.

But sign him for...reasons I guess?

De Haan when healthy is actually a good player is why. A very steady player. We do have a lot of defensemen and I'd imagine if we sign him one or two of them are going to get moved out. But if the Rangers sign De Haan he's only behind Shattenkirk and Skjei IMO.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Obviously it's a slow time for the Rangers, but I'm fairly content with their approach thus far.

No big head scratchers (yet), plenty of cap room, not being rushed into bidding wars, etc.

Frankly, I'd like to have as much flexibility as possible heading into this season --- I think that's going to be the key for our long-term success. Whether it's taking on a contract at a livable term, continuing to stockpile assets, or even making final determinations on whether certain players will be here moving forward, I'm okay being more conservative at this point.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
De Haan when healthy is actually a good player is why. A very steady player. We do have a lot of defensemen and I'd imagine if we sign him one or two of them are going to get moved out. But if the Rangers sign De Haan he's only behind Shattenkirk and Skjei IMO.

If Smith can get back to his 2016-2017 playing style, having him, De Haan and Skjei on the lef side would be a very solid group.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
Make the kids earn a spot. Spots are not being handed out. The Rangers will try to deliver a competitive on-ice team while the retooling is happening in the background slowly, but efficiently. The Rangers also vowed to not put their kids in very uncomfortable situations, this is key to each player’s development.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Obviously it's a slow time for the Rangers, but I'm fairly content with their approach thus far.

No big head scratchers (yet), plenty of cap room, not being rushed into bidding wars, etc.

Frankly, I'd like to have as much flexibility as possible heading into this season --- I think that's going to be the key for our long-term success. Whether it's taking on a contract at a livable term, continuing to stockpile assets, or even making final determinations on whether certain players will be here moving forward, I'm okay being more conservative at this point.

Collect the cap space, use it on teams needing to move garbage and stockpile assets.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Save the cap space for next summer’s class but be competent and competitive with this years roster. No I do not want to tank for Hughes. If it happens, it happens. I want to watch competitive hockey and I want our young players to experience that as opposed to being beaten down every night and losing. Adding de Haan will make our defense stronger and tougher to play against.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Also Senators offering EK a contract extension after trying to trade him so badly is weird. I can see a sign and trade here.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Save the cap space for next summer’s class but be competent and competitive with this years roster. No I do not want to tank for Hughes. If it happens, it happens. I want to watch competitive hockey and I want our young players to experience that as opposed to being beaten down every night and losing. Adding de Haan will make our defense stronger and tougher to play against.

Yay for mediocrity.

Reactions: romba and jas

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I’m going into the season with a wide open mindset - obviously, I hope the team exceeds expectations and plays exciting, competitive hockey, but if they’re bad, I won’t be calling for anyone’s head.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Blueshirts777

May 8, 2017
I think Brendan Smith will turn it around this year. He's saying the right things, just had a kid and seems motivated. Plus this system will benefit him alot more than AV's. Staal is another story

Reactions: Lays
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad