GDT: Free Agent Frenzy | It’s a bonanza!

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
it hits immediately next year i think.

so far as i can tell the only non league minimum-ish salary coming off the books next year is boeser who then needs to be re-signed as an rfa. rathbone will also be an rfa.

the carried over bonuses from halak plus larger year two cap hits for holtby/virtanen will more than eat up all of the relief from luongo recapture ending.

so boeser and rathbone will have to be signed with just boeser's current contract aav and maybe $1 million if we lowball when replacing all the cheap expiring contracts.
Boeser’s QO is grandfathered in at $7.5 mill. So they need to find another $1.6 mill to retain him.

Benning definitely going for it this year. Rather than eat some cap this season on Holtby he wanted every last dime.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
I'll be kind to Jimbo today...he could have jacked things up immeasurably yet again with some fresh cash in his pocket...we didn't sign Tyson Barrie to some ungodly contract...and we did sign some good depth players at a reasonable price (Schenn, Keeper, Petan, etc). I wasn't a fan of bringing Sutter back, the deal doesn't stink but I didn't want him back...this will just be an excuse for Green to overuse him. I'm ok with signing Poolman, but not to the term and amount he got...this was stupid, and typical Jimbo but at least Poolman filled something of a need. Halak was also a bad deal, we could have gone with a cheaper option and I would have been totally fine with it...the performance bonuses are ridiculous. Hamonic...meh, more than I would have liked by about $500k, but that again is pretty typical of Benning...he is a soft negotiator, which is why we're constantly bleeding assets and cap space.

So while Benning did hustle today and got a lot of stuff done, how effective it will be is anybody's guess....but if we're basing it off of recent history, we'll be pulling our hair out watching some of them, and then see a couple of these guys bought out in a year or two.

Reactions: Ozone

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
I wonder what became of that 24th overall pick though.:sarcasm:

USATSI_9698519.jpg

If you really want to play that game it became Tanner Pearson

nazzy_012

Nov 22, 2006
Have we done a mock up of the roster plus buyouts, recapture and bonuses to see exactly what we’re sitting at?

Can do it myself but figured I’d ask to save time

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Have we done a mock up of the roster plus buyouts, recapture and bonuses to see exactly what we’re sitting at?

Yeah I did it, its on capfriendly under Vancouver Canucks.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
And tanner pearson is overpaid bottom 6 trash
Well I think we can all see the writing on the wall… it’s the Pearson/ Myers of the world that will need to be moved next to make way for Boeser resign and/or to just build on the core we have now.

Not blown away by any of our “nhl” signings but also not pissed. At least most were reasonable term and cap. Need to see how it all plays out in real-time. OEL has a lot of pressure to be a top end D. Excited about garland. Really needing to hit on our youth (ie podz to do well). Hamonic and Poolman can hopefully prove to be steady on a consistent basis.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I think we’re done in free agency no?

Depending on how the Petey and Hughes deals shake out—I could see the team sign one more forward on the secondary free agent market. Someone like Tyler Bozak or Derick Brassard would add a lot of utility to the bottom-six. I could also see them looking at a winger like Nick Ritchie or Danton Heinen to upgrade on either Highmore or MacEwen.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
I think we’re done in free agency no?
I’d hope so for at least top 9 forward or top 4 defense or contracts beyond 2 year terms. I see the Canucks, after the RFAs are signed and knowing what their cap looks like, sending out 1 year flyers to certain players like they did with Hamonic.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Out - Ferlund, Beagle, Roussel, Schmidt, Lind, Edler, Holtby, Baertschi,

In - Dickinson, Poolman, Schenn, Garlund, OEL, Podkolzin,

Still Here - Myers, Hughes, Hamonic, Juolevi, Petey, Miller, Horvat, Hoglander, Boeser, Sutter, Motte, Highmore, Demko

Next Up - Gadjovich, Klimovich, Lockwood, Woo, Dipietro,

Wow the cupboard is empty!

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

About 19.5 million to sign EP, Hughes, Dickinson and one more depth player.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
So who are we going to get for forward depth now?

Honestly not really upset about the D.. Schmidt was 5.9m for 4 more years.. we essentially got 3 true RD for 6.35 with only Poolman with 4 years. I like depth.

Everyone I talk to lately in person hates Schmidt now :laugh:

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Out - Ferlund, Beagle, Roussel, Schmidt, Lind, Edler, Holtby, Baertschi,

In - Dickinson, Poolman, Schenn, Garlund, OEL, Podkolzin,

Still Here - Myers, Hughes, Hamonic, Juolevi, Petey, Miller, Horvat, Hoglander, Boeser, Sutter, Motte, Highmore, Demko

Next Up - Gadjovich, Klimovich, Lockwood, Woo, Dipietro,

Wow the cupboard is empty!
How could you forget our $6MM dollar man Loui Eriksson? :laugh:

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
So who are we going to get for forward depth now?

Honestly not really upset about the D.. Schmidt was 5.9m for 4 more years.. we essentially got 3 true RD for 6.35 with only Poolman with 4 years. I like depth.

Everyone I talk to lately in person hates Schmidt now :laugh:

we also got a 3rd round pick……

canucksfan100

Apr 3, 2007
Honestly the prospect depth isn't a problem right now, we have so many international prospect which I'd actually good, europe is constantly under scouted and some gems come out of no where.

Benning has the ability to sigh another player for 2-4M because he can "officially" sign Hughes on opening day after Ferland is placed on LTIR on opening day, because right now Ferlands cap hit still counts against the cap until he is placed on IR during opening day.

Personally I'd love to add a Kase, Ritchie or Heinen. Youngish guys on 1 year deals on a show me deal, yeah you wont be able to resign them but they would be in a good spot to rebound playing on a 2nd or 3rd line here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad