GDT: Free Agent Frenzy | It’s a bonanza!

Status
Not open for further replies.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
it hits immediately next year i think.

so far as i can tell the only non league minimum-ish salary coming off the books next year is boeser who then needs to be re-signed as an rfa. rathbone will also be an rfa.

the carried over bonuses from halak plus larger year two cap hits for holtby/virtanen will more than eat up all of the relief from luongo recapture ending.

so boeser and rathbone will have to be signed with just boeser's current contract aav and maybe $1 million if we lowball when replacing all the cheap expiring contracts.

Yeah, they are going to have 2.4 for Virtanen/Holtby, likely 1.25+ for Halak, then maybe some Podkolzin/Hoglander bonuses.

We are assuming that EP/Hughes/Dickinson sign for more than one year. Will save a bit of money promoting DiPietro or Silovs to that backup spot from Halak. Motte is a UFA and would likely get squeezed out.

I just think it's looking to be really tight and it's not a good thing when you don't even know if the team is any good.

Anyways, once EP/Hughes/Dickinson sign it will be worth digging into a bit more as we'll have a better idea.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
I find Seattle bizarre. This CBJ situation is odd. There were quite a few picks more valuable than Bayreuther. Stenlund still young and can play in your bottom 6.

But also, Ottawa... They take Joey D'accord... terrible goalie. But they could have taken Dadonov who appears could have been flipped for a 3rd...

Losts of lost value.

Also, should have been in on Tyler Johnson, missed opportunity to get paid a 2nd.

I was waiting until after free agency to judge, but Francis is a dolt. He could have easily extracted a pick from Washington to not pick Vanacek, take Dillon and got 2 2nds.

Wasting a pick on Bayreuther instead of an asset like Domi, Stenland, Kukan. Domi at 50% retained would be a huge asset for any NHL team.

Signing Grubauer made no sense at all. They had spent a year looking at Dreidger and making him the no.1 starter, signed him and trotted him out to the fans. Now he's a $3.5 backup?

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
The west has 2 contenders ... One of them doesn't have a 1C and the other is cheaping out on goaltending and playing an injury prone #1. Makes the Canucks mistake much more frustrating can't remember the last time the conference was this weak.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Someone on 650 just said Brad Treliving is just Jim Benning that can talk smoothly….kinda have to agree

Calgary lost their best D for nothing
Replaced him with Zadorov who can’t really defend
Overpaid Blake Coleman

Still has the exact same core that either fell short to make the playoffs or couldnt perform in the post season

Markstrom had a pretty bad season for a 6m starter, 5 more years left on the contract.

Oh and Milan Lucic is still there BTW

I think Calgary’s locker room beef escalate this season and they miss the playoffs

Last edited:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Someone on 650 just said Brad Treliving is just Jim Benning that can talks smoothly….kinda have to agree

Calgary lost their best D for nothing
Replaced him with Zadorov who can’t really defend
Overpaid Blake Coleman

Still has the exact same core that either fell short to make the playoffs or couldnt perform in the post season

Markstrom had a pretty bad season for a 6m starter, 5 more years left on the contract.
Oh and Milan Lucic is still there BTW

3 of the worst GMs in the league are in Alberta and BC.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Really interested by Klimovich it seems like the team feels like he may be closer to playing a bottom 6 roles then a lot of first round picks. I heard he had 1 goal 1 assist for Minsk in a KHL preseason game so naturally he is the second coming of Bure.

I think the last piece that we are missing is a #1-3 Right handed Defenseman. Someone like Pulock or Parayko

JiffyPB

Oct 11, 2018
Arizona has more 2nd round picks in one draft than Benning has had in 7 years
Oof_Stones_Banner.jpg

The only thing worse than that is that the highest pick he's acquired and drafted with in the last 5 years on a rebuilding team is a 2nd rounder for John Tortorella.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Oof_Stones_Banner.jpg

The only thing worse than that is that the highest pick he's acquired and drafted with in the last 5 years on a rebuilding team is a 2nd rounder for John Tortorella.

24th overall for Kesler nice try though

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
hahaha...it's a good word. Very succinct.

But, I'm not sure your point...I only see it twice in this thread. I said it once. And you said it once. But you made me look...

Wasnt referring to you in particular! Just seen it used a lot recently.

Reactions: iceburg

JiffyPB

Oct 11, 2018
24th overall for Kesler nice try though

That was 7 years ago when he was handcuffed into taking that return and the only things he has left to show for it are Sutter, Pearson and a 5th (Stukel).

...After also trading away that former 1st round pick (McCann) he acquired for Kesler, 2 more 2nd rounders, a 3rd, a 4th and Forsling.

Master of asset value.

Reactions: vanuck

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
if you think OEL is a bad defenceman at 7.2 million cap hit, you're going to be disappointed next season.
He's the 18th highest-paid defender in the league even counting cap retention, he hasn't played like that in Arizona for several years now, so what makes you think he'll suddenly become that for us?

Reactions: ugghhh

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
There’s no way he can live up to the contract. He’s not going to supplant Hughes on the PP.

Don't be surprised to see OEL and Hughes on the first unit. OEL has a better shot than most of the team.

Pettersson, Boeser, Miller, Hughes, OEL for the first unit

Horvat, Garland, Hoglander, Pearson, Rathbone for the second unit

Canucks can actually ice two good PP units now

WishfulThinker

Jun 10, 2021
Which GMs are susceptible to thinking Tyler Myers is a positive/neutral asset besides Benning? Gotta be at least 1 right? This free agency shows some of these GMs still throw money around like candy.

Being paid like a 1st pairing d-man while providing 3rd pairing 5v5 defense is currently the biggest sore thumb to this team being a legitimate contender in this 2 year window.

On that note I also hope Hughes comes in at a contract value that reflects his current defensive question marks. I hope with the flat cap they could at least keep him under 6.5 mil on a long-term, 4.5 mil on a bridge (thinking Girard/Barrie/Krug as comps).

I'm not a numbers guy though so maybe I'm off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad