GDT: Free Agent Frenzy / Fantasy GM Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
Benning would have been a buffoon to sign Markstrom and Tanev to those contracts. He made the right offers of 5 years and 2 years, but obviously were outbid. The defence needs to be rebuilt instead of being hemmed into their zone. Stecher has been the odd man out since Hughes was in the lineup, Canucks need a different type of defenceman on the bottom pairing.

So we can be a lottery team next year?

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Edmonton needs defensive D and has no goaltending. They’re probably worse right now with their top D out for the year.
It's interesting actually - Flames invested heavily in improving their GA with Markstrom and Tanev signings, the main pieces of the whole Canucks defense really, and Oilers did the opposite and got a high offense PP QB guy. Very different directions for the Alberta teams. Of course it's still early and a lot could happen.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Jim had no interest in troy anymore.

2 years at 1.7m is stupid cheap, This is not a cap thing, this is a GM and Coach i guess letting him go.

Reports this morning were that the Canucks were back in on Stecher so.. no?

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Buy out reopens for teams with players who go through salary arbitration as I understand it and perhaps that's why Jim didnt buy out as he knew hell get the chance with Jake opening the door

Except by then, they'll be no worthwhile players left to sign. He clearly didn't think this through.

Boose Brudreau

Guddbranson is a paper tiger
Nov 27, 2006
It’s a good idea but I don’t think we have the cap space and I don’t think Benning is this creative.
move eriksson + virtanen to Ottawa for Anisimov (who might fetch a pick at the deadline) . between both deals, ~$12.5 cap hit in and ~$9mm cap hit out.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Jim is skating on thin ice here. I think he’s probably looking at his last year.
Aquilini can’t be impressed with how this has unfolded so far.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Jim is skating on thin ice here. I think he’s probably looking at his last year.
Aquilini can’t be impressed with how this has unfolded so far.

Unlikely. He just got extended and they know the circumstances are different now. It would likely be his last year if he signed Markstrom and Tanev to those awful contracts.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Rebuilding the defense by removing the only guys who can play defense is ... interesting.

And if you’re rebuilding after winning your fake Stanley Cup making the playoffs 6 years into your tenure, the GM should be fired into the sun.
You mean the window opened because of covid and it’s closed ? Ouch.

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
Except by then, they'll be no worthwhile players left to sign. He clearly didn't think this through.
He knows Jake's contract award will open the buyout window and he can still sign someone based on what he knows the buyouts will clear up.

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
Benning has had 6 years to build the defense. Now our already awful defense just got substantially more awful, but we're still gonna be taking a step forward?

Dumb decision after decision and its always the wrong one. Stecher for 1.7m is 1/4 the price of Myers except hes a better player LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad