GDT: Free Agent Frenzy Day 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
To play devil's advocate, Fehr had 19 goals in 75 games in 14-15, 13 goals in 73 games in 13-14 and 9 goals in 41 games in 12-13. Before this year, he was producing pretty well with the Capitals (roughly a 18 goal, 35 point pace). I think people are writing him off too soon. I'd rather have Fehr at $2 million than re-sign Cullen for 1 year at $2 million, Cullen is a lot more likely to regress from last year than Fehr is to stay at the same level he was last year IMO.

I want Cullen back for one more year but I think trading Fehr is excessive.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I mean, it looks like we have D depth by numbers if not quality. How much is Cullen asking for? I mean, I doubt he is going to give us what he did last year. The bigger question is that if we are opening space, who is out?

Probably Fehr. I'd guess only one of them will be in the lineup this season. If Fehr stays, Cullen's probably out. If Cullen signs, they'll probably move Fehr.

They'd probably like to give Sundqvist or Wilson a spot on that line. So there's only room for one vet making over $1 million on that line.

thecore

Jul 2, 2008
Nebraska
steeltuxbird.blogspot.com
I think Fehr and Cullen produce at a nearly equal level next year. Cullen comes back to earth and Fehr improves a bit. Thing is, Cullen offers leadership, more of a speed game, and is better on faceoffs. For that reason, I would move Fehr if necessary and pay Cullen up to $2 million if that's what it takes.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
JR doesn't need to move out cap space first, he can sign Cullen and then trade Fehr at a later date. Teams can go over the cap during the offseason by 10%. My bet is that Cullen has a Pittsburgh offer on the table and he's just waiting to see if he'll get significantly more money from another team.

Not even that. We have the space right now to do it and start the season, even if we wants 2m.

Sheary - Crosby - Hornqvist
Kunitz - Malkin - Rust
Hagelin - Bonino - Kessel
Wilson-Fehr-Kuhnhackl

Dumoulin - Letang
Maatta - Daley
Pouliot - Cole
Warsofsky

Murray
Fleury

Dupuis on IR (full relief)
1.125m retained for Scuderi

That leaves us with 2.97m in space to add a 13th F, which could be Cullen.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Yeah, this is where I'm at. I'd like both back, but if I had to pick one with each having the same salary, I'd pick Fehr before Cullen solely due to age.

I mean to say nothing of their talents, we have Fehr for one more year after this next one and I think he's worth having around. He's nothing special but he fills a role and is somewhat versatile.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
To play devil's advocate, Fehr had 19 goals in 75 games in 14-15, 13 goals in 73 games in 13-14 and 9 goals in 41 games in 12-13. Before this year, he was producing pretty well with the Capitals (roughly a 18 goal, 35 point pace). I think people are writing him off too soon. I'd rather have Fehr at $2 million than re-sign Cullen for 1 year at $2 million, Cullen is a lot more likely to regress from last year than Fehr is to stay at the same level he was last year IMO.

He did that on their 3rd line though, no? May be tougher on the 4th line but to your point, that makes him an excellent 4th line player for us. I like his versatility too.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Third line as it play like a third line of Fehr, Kuny and Cullen has the size and grind that the Pens really need. Looking at FA spending, I keep Fehr at 2 million. I think Cullen resigns and Oskar starts out in WB. I get back to clearing cap space. Wilson LW, still think Schultz in the mix at the right price but the Pens need cap room.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Honestly with how dumb these GMs get when they see a gritty leader type player and overpay for them, i truly wonder what kunitz could return. a 1st+?

Too bad JR probably views kuni as an important piece.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Could there be something in the works with Dallas with The status of Bishop also involved? We could take Niemi back and still gain some cap space. Not sure if Tampa can take back a goalie.

I think if JR was going to move Fleury, it would have been last week at the draft. I think unless a team completely blows him away with an offer, Fleury is here to stay for the season.

I don't know. I just can't see JR trading Fleury to Dallas for Niemi and a pick/prospect after he turned down an offer where he didn't have to take back salary from Calgary.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Cullen is about 90% brains. I have no fear that his play drops off.

This isn't a Guerin type player who sucked off the teet of a great center. Cullen was what turned that 4th line from generic to one that you can dominate an opponent's 1st line.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Boninos value has to be sky high....fehr could probably fill in for him or just bump hags and Phil with geno. Probably get a haul for bones.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
I think if JR was going to move Fleury, it would have been last week at the draft. I think unless a team completely blows him away with an offer, Fleury is here to stay for the season.

I don't know. I just can't see JR trading Fleury to Dallas for Niemi and a pick/prospect after he turned down an offer where he didn't have to take back salary from Calgary.
True, but Calgary didn't have a goalie to send back either and we could have been left with a rookie and a career back up 10-20 start goalie. We need a solid goalie in addition to MM.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He did that on their 3rd line though, no? May be tougher on the 4th line but to your point, that makes him an excellent 4th line player for us. I like his versatility too.

Yeah, he played on the 3rd line in most of those years, but he was also on a shutdown line in those years too. He played with Ward and Laich in 14-15 and Chimera and Ward in 13-14.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Somethings either possibly lined up or JR is scrambling/pleading/desperate to off load $.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Honestly with how dumb these GMs get when they see a gritty leader type player and overpay for them, i truly wonder what kunitz could return. a 1st+?

Too bad JR probably views kuni as an important piece.

How many time does GMJR have to have to be right on the verge of trading Kunitz before people realize that he is absolutely someone he's is willing to trade (not give away but trade). Not to mention JR said himself he was interested in finding an anchor on the LW last year, implying he clearly doesn't feel Kunitz is that.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal

Canucks could use him, Miller is terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad