GDT: Free Agent Frenzy 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Everyone (including us) says our goaltending is weak. Carolina's goaltending is just as much of a question mark yet, nobody notices.
I think it's a fair criticism when it comes to the playoffs. Vitek has shit the bed as a playoff goalie and Schmid's sample size is still very limited. Andersen and Raanta have both at least been solid at times in the playoffs before.

Devilsgrl35

Feb 15, 2009
New York
I think it's a fair criticism when it comes to the playoffs. Vitek has shit the bed as a playoff goalie and Schmid's sample size is still very limited. Andersen and Raanta have both at least been solid at times in the playoffs before.
That's fair. We need an upgrade at goalie but we shouldn't act like Carolina has a Saros, Sorokin, or Igor in net either.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Everyone (including us) says our goaltending is weak. Carolina's goaltending is just as much of a question mark yet, nobody notices.
I wouldn't put it quite as questionable as VV/Schmid in terms of performance, but it can go south with regards to health which makes it questionable for sure
Their goaltending is slightly deeper than ours, just because their younger prospect goalie is still #3 on their depth chart, whereas ours is #2, if not possibly even #1. Kochetkov probably should be #2, but they brought back both Andersen and Raanta.

Nobody notices that their goaltending isn't a question mark because Andersen USED to be really good. USED to be really good. See the key word there? He's been a mediocre to BAD goalie for 3 of the last 4 years. He had an up year in 21-22, so people forgot about the two straight years before that, and still forget about it despite yet another mediocre, decline season this past year. Reputations like that go a really long way and goalies even worse and even older than him have continued to still get signed around the league. Just look at the joke Rangers signing the pissed and cat shit on Quremains the other day.

I'm sure his playoff run also buys him a bit more rope too.

Raanta is old and washed up, but they can't seem to get enough of both him and Andersen in Carolina. Both of them are so unreliable health wise, it's a wonder Andersen was available at all the last two rounds. I'm still pretty sure Carolina would have beaten the Rangers in the second round in 2022 if Andersen were healthy.

BOTH these guys are 34 years old and the two of them are such injury cases that they know at least one of them will likely miss time, either significantly or pop up injuries that keep happening all season long, which was the story of Andersen's 22-23 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad