GDT: Free Agent Frenzy 2023 - Begins 12pm ET, 10am MT (Mod Warning in OP)

Favorite summer barbecue main dish

• Burgers

Votes: 38 25.0%
  • Hot dogs

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • Tri tip

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Steak

Votes: 42 27.6%
  • Chicken

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • Brisket

Votes: 29 19.1%
  • Ribs

Votes: 18 11.8%
  • Other

Votes: 4 2.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
The big day is upon us, the qualified RFAs are in and tampering has probably already begun. The Avs have to make a lot of signings to fill out their roster plus the Eagles roster.

IMG_3111.gif

Mod Warning:

I know Twitter is acting up and there hasn’t been anything to talk about yet but do not get into Musk and politics over it. Gotta keep it hockey.

Last edited:

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Maybe if Landy can Kucherov/Stone the playoffs
Even without Landy. Some of the key Vegas players don’t seem to be the type that will be consistent in the playoffs. I can see guys like Marchessault, and Karlsson regressing and not having a type of playoffs they had this year which will spell trouble for them

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
In my opinion, Toews is part of the core that won the Cup, one of the 4 most important pieces on that team. I understand that aging curves are a thing, but I could really see this front office wanting to give this core 3 or 4 more shots at the Cup and to do that it's necessary to give Toews term to drive down AAV, similar to the decision with Nichushkin.

For that to happen, the Cap would need to go up $10M or so.

The Avs have one great shot at the Cup, and one more good one after that, if they resign Toews. After that, it gets pretty ugly.

Within two years from right now, Toews will command $3-4M more, so will Rantanen, so will Giorgiev, so will (perhaps) Byram.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Even without Landy. Some of the key Vegas players don’t seem to be the type that will be consistent in the playoffs. I can see guys like Marchessault, and Karlsson regressing and not having a type of playoffs they had this year which will spell trouble for them

Those guys have been the soul of that team since the beginning. Weird choices

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Those guys have been the soul of that team since the beginning. Weird choices
Not all of their 6 playoff runs have been as good as this year. Marchessault had a type of playoffs this year which I don’t think he can do it again next season. Stone and Pietrangelo are gonna be one year older, and they lost a key player in Smith to resign Barbashev

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Not all of their 6 playoff runs have been as good as this year. Marchessault had a type of playoffs this year which I don’t think he can do it again next season. Stone and Pietrangelo are gonna be one year older, and they lost a key player in Smith to resign Barbashev

I think Hill repeating is the bigger question mark. Marchy doesn’t need to score as much for them to have success. But if hill or someone else underperforms they’ll just get dumped and their management will have no problem playing LTIR games to get additional advantage. If we don’t get Landy back we’re still just a cap team, which isn’t enough to win now that we don’t have an extra 6 mil from the Mac deal and a 5.5m 1c on the second line like in our cup year

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I think Hill repeating is the bigger question mark. Marchy doesn’t need to score as much for them to have success. But if hill or someone else underperforms they’ll just get dumped and their management will have no problem playing LTIR games to get additional advantage. If we don’t get Landy back we’re still just a cap team, which isn’t enough to win now that we don’t have an extra 6 mil from the Mac deal and a 5.5m 1c on the second line like in our cup year
If they use the fake Stone LTIR again, they can repeat, otherwise like I said, I don’t see a lot of their players having the same playoffs. Their 4th line was producing at a rate that’s impossible to repeat. I mean if guys like Kolesar and Carrier can do that consistently, they wouldn’t be 4th liners.

If you compare the top players of Vegas to Avs top players as far as playoff performance, MacK, Mikko, Cale are all PPG+ and consistent, and I don’t think Marchessault, Karlsson can be like that every year. And as you mentioned Hill. That can be a classic case of one year wonder goalie like Bennington was.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
Vegas just won and there’s no reason to think we aren’t just as good even without landy, depends how the team performs when it matters. Can easily win the west that’s for sure.
Landry is a huge piece to this team. He’s the straw that stirs colorados drink

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Colorado +800 = overrated
Boston +1200 = way overrated
Vegas +1200 = underrated
Rags +1600 = underrated

No team with Cale Makar, and Nathan Mackinnon is over rated.

None if those teams have shit all that comes close. Especially with a real roster behind them that can actually contribute.

Shake your head really hard dude, you might wake up. 😉

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
No team with Cale Makar, and Nathan Mackinnon is over rated.

None if those teams have shit all that comes close. Especially with a real roster behind them that can actually contribute.

Shake your head really hard dude, you might wake up. 😉
Seriously, if it wasn’t for injuries, losing Landeskog for a season, Nuke situation and stuff, the Avs could be headed for dynasty. Vegas didn’t really impress me all that much. Faked the LTIR, had a 90+mill team going against Jets, Oilers, Dallas teams who had 82 mill team, then beat a Cinderella Florida team, where Vegas actually got lucky because Florida was too banged up and that 10 day layoff screwed them up.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
The Avs have the advantage of there being less contenders in the west. The Kings are likely to be a problem this year.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

NateTheGreat

Mar 19, 2012
Winnipeg
One of Vegas, Edmonton or Colorado is coming out of the West.

Vegas is the most complete team.

Colorado has the best trio.

Edmonton has the best player in the world.

Also, for all the talk about the East being stronger than the West recently; the last 2 cup winners are from the West and both runs were quite dominant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad