GDT: Free Agent Frenzy 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I mean the short summary is that Florida paid an immensely high price to land a top notch powerfoward… While this is a great long term core piece, it doesn’t help their cap situation in the short term, takes a massive piece away from their blue line, and takes a couple of pieces away from their future.

I don’t see them having much ability to add st the deadline this year

It would be interesting to see the reaction if Dubas made such a trade.

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
I mean the short summary is that Florida paid an immensely high price to land a top notch powerfoward… While this is a great long term core piece, it doesn’t help their cap situation in the short term, takes a massive piece away from their blue line, and takes a couple of pieces away from their future.

I would run Dubas out of town if he traded Marner for that package.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
sure... but bunting aint the same quality as Tkachuk brothers, Bertuzzi and Marchand. they are the drivers on their line.

Bunting will need a raise after this season thought right? Is he rfa or ufa? too lazy to check capfriendly :laugh:
Sadly UFA. I thought he was an RFA but was mistaken. I got him mixed with Kase from this past year

Reactions: PromisedLand

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
sure... but bunting aint the same quality as Tkachuk brothers, Bertuzzi and Marchand. they are the drivers on their line.

Bunting will need a raise after this season thought right? Is he rfa or ufa? too lazy to check capfriendly :laugh:
Yeah, he'll be commanding a decent amount on the market as a UFA. I was hoping Dubas would be pragmatic and sign him this offseason. His production feels relatively sustainable and his price is only going to increase if he does it again this year

Reactions: PromisedLand

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

Florida went all in last year, didn't work out. Now they are taking a step back to re-evaluate/rethink/retool IMO. In the process they added converted their two pending UFAs + 1st into an 8 year asset. Bought all the prime years.

They have about 6 or 7 million in dead cap this season due to Yandle and Darling buyouts. Next season they will have something like 1 million from yandle cap hit with Horqvist and Gudas off the cap. That is they will have in total about 10 to 13 million in cap space.

Although not pretty Florida is not in as bad a position as many think.

As for Dubas, he has ZERO foresight. Dubas' GMing has come to.... throw cap at the wall and hope it sticks

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
Bring things closer to home:

Huberdeau only has 1 prime year left. Marner has 5. Weegar + 1st is a spec of dust when you talk about 5 prime years of a young star.

Do we pull the trigger if it's Marner or hang up the phone?

You guys will hang up. Don't even lie

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I think Barkov and the Panthers have a pretty good set of forwards to give Tkachuk plenty of options to produce like he did in Calgary. Will he shoot 13% again? Maybe not but I think he's at least a PPG level player while providing the rat/physical aspect of his game.

I think the problem with this to me isn't Tkachuk being a good player, it's that it doesn't really elevate the Panthers to a level where I don't think they are better overall as a team.
From an asset management perspective, 30 year old Huberdeau is going to want an 8 year deal for a least the same money, so as some others have noted they would be paying farther into the heavily declining years. They seems to have no trouble attracting FAs so Hubs may be a premium talent but he is more replaceable for them than many other clubs. I expect they will offload Bob's deal at 50% retained and be back in the UFA market soon.
So it sort of works for me on that level, especially if they have decided the outbound players are not going to move the needle for them in the playoffs. Eventually a club might get tired of waiting for a player to grow into what they need them to be, and Hub has had 3 playoffs in his prime to show what he is.

So I can see why they might have done it and that it might work out for them, but to me Calgary won the deal. If Huberdeau stays, he is older, but I think his skills age better, and obviously it wasn't 1 for 1.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Huberdeau is leaving his 20's though. Let's not forget that. It's worth taking the risk on the what if's.
Huberdeau is a UFA next year and can re-join is pals in Florida again and Tkachuk on a sign and trade is locked in for 8 years for Panthers.

I would hate this risk from a Calgary perspective where you traded a young 24 year old 100+ point RFA for a 29 year old pending UFA that could walk away for free next summer.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
I see Barkov continuing to be underrated with the amount of people who think Tkachuk will regress. I mean after a 104 point season "regressing" is most likely but I see Tkachuk getting to the 90 point total.

6'3 dominating center and tough 6'2 winger, these 2 will eat.
Incase I'm behind the whole Tkachuk 100 point superstar guaranteed thing, I started off my whole perspective by saying I see 90 more than I do 100 lol.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Dubas's job is in jeapordy, but I think the good thing is he won't make say a desperation or bad move to gut the future of the team just to save his job, and put his replacement in a tough spot. There's a sense of class about him which I like. He'll go down on his own terms not making a panic move to hurt the future of the team.
He could have done what Florida just did but didn't.

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
He could have done what Florida just did but didn't.
Converting Huberdeau into Tkachuk by sacrificing Weegar was an A+ move. Pounced like vultures as soon as Tkachuk became available.

Lots of hypocrites showing their faces today. Suddenly young stars are inferior to saving your Weegars.

TheFloater

May 25, 2008
Mississauga

Over the next 3 years, Florida has 4 picks in the first 3 rounds of the draft:

- 2023: 2nd Round Pick
- 2024: 3rd Round Pick
- 2025: 2nd and 3rd Round Picks

During that same time frame, the Leafs have the following picks in the first 3 rounds:

- 2023: 1st Round Pick, 3rd Round Pick (their own), 3rd Round Pick (Ottawa's from Murray deal)
- 2024: 1st Round Pick, 2nd Round Pick
- 2025: 1st Round Pick, 3rd Round Pick

That's 7 total high end picks compared to Florida's 4, including all 1st Round Picks. One team is far more equipped to make impactful deadline deals, or simply restock the system with higher end picks, than the other. In just a few trades over the past year and change, Florida has wiped out a large part of their most valuable future pick assets. Keep in mind as well, that their highest pick in the draft a few weeks ago came in the Third Round. And as we've seen this offseason, it's not always easy to return high end picks in deals. Look at the Bjorkstrand trade as an example.

Dubas has left himself with some flexibility and options to make an impactful deal at the deadline, while Zito will be staring at a mostly bare cupboard. I can definitely see why he pulled the trigger to get Tkachuk, but along the way Zito has hampered his ability to make future impact deals by constantly dealing away future assets for short term gains.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I like this deal from Florida, traded away a 29 year old UFA who will likely demand 10 million per year. I wouldn't want to pay that for a 30 year old long term. Florida gets high value before Huberdeau holds the cards and his value is low. Won't have a Gaudreau situation happen to them and lose their star for nothing. It's too bad they have that ridiculously bad Brobrovsky contract.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
.. I’m confused?

So it’s ok to overpay because changes are necessary?

It's not like they traded a benz for a civic. Tkachuk is a heck of a player and hasn't even reached his prime

Players with his combo and make up just don't come around

Florida also didn't want risk anything for losing Hub. This is a heck of a trade.

Sure they lost Weager. But he was also hitting FA and would want to get paid

They have entire summer to get another D. Maybe a patch job until someone becomes available. It will sting

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
That price means Calgary received multiple blockbuster offers and Florida just rolled in there with a bazooka and wiped out everyone with zero doubt.

Alternative is Huberdeau is a bum behind the scenes and they want to move on. Who knows.

I like Tkachuks odds of remaining elite beside Barkov in contrast to Huberdeau in Calgary. I wouldn't be shocked if Huberdeau goes back to a 70 point player in Calgary. I'd take Tkachuk over him today 1 for 1. Especially pairing him with Barkov.

I see Barkov continuing to be underrated with the amount of people who think Tkachuk will regress. I mean after a 104 point season "regressing" is most likely but I see Tkachuk getting to the 90 point total.

6'3 dominating center and tough 6'2 winger, these 2 will eat.

this was the mindset of Huberdeau after being down 3-0 in a series.

Reactions: Havoc

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
Idk it’s it’s unpopular but if I’m Calgary but if Huns and Weeger don’t want to sign extensions soon, I look to flip both of Hubs and Weeger at 50% retained before the season starts. It can completely jump start a rebuild. You can probably get a great young player + a 1st for Hubs (more or less depending on the calibre of the player) and a great prospect + a 1st for Weeger.

They could effectively trade Tkachuk for 3 firsts, a conditional 4th, a great young player and a good prospect.

The alternative is to lose them for nothing, which would be terrible asset management considering they also just lost Johnny

Reactions: andora

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
Have to say that we might have reason to fairly critique Dubas for not trading Kerfoot and Holl before all of this. We'll see what happens before training camp, but it seems like prices are going down on forwards. Holl might have same value as before. Might have.

I think he just doesn't want to sell low and he's basically having to if he wants to do it because of the market.

One of them will have to move eventually

Reactions: deprw

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
Chances are high that Calgary moves a D to help bring in some offence. The question becomes which D gets moved. I’d suggest one of Tanev or Weegar gets moved. The only guy better than Kerfoot (wingers) available as a UFA in points is Kessel.

Florida moved guys they knew they weren’t resigning. Weegar has allegedly been shopped for a while already. Outside of the first, they didn’t move anything they knew they weren’t keeping anyway.

So could Calgary keep all of their best D, sure… but then their forwards are going to be trash.

There's definitely significantly better forwards they can trade for then Kessel or kerfoot

Naz is a ufa so there's one that's better then both right there.

If kerfoot had actual value he would have been moved already

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad