Free Agent Frenzy 2022

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
1 year contract for a 1st rounder of a bottom feeder? Who doesn't want that?

Really high chance it's top 10. 2025 could be if it was protected to.

I'd be upset if we didn't take that, but I'd be shocked if that was actually an option that every team with space passed on
But the comment says it was Florida's 2024 1st offered, that teams wanted Philly's 2023 1st instead which they refused to offer.

Reactions: jc17

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Chuck Fletcher is certifiably insane.

Surprised Nic has lasted this long in the league, and more power to him for that. But, ya, Fletch is unhinged with that contract.

The Flyers board insists that until the whole management team - Clarke, Holmgren, et al (known as the Bullies, lmao) - is gone, firing Fletcher will fix nothing. And they all want him fired.

I think it's only going to get worse for them.

Reactions: NotABadPeriod

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Surprised Nic has lasted this long in the league, and more power to him for that. But, ya, Fletch is unhinged with that contract.

The Flyers board insists that until the whole management team - Clarke, Holmgren, et al (known as the Bullies, lmao) - is gone, firing Fletcher will fix nothing. And they all want him fired.

I think it's only going to get worse for them.
They're probably right. I'm not sure how much the GM really runs the show there.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
They're probably right. I'm not sure how much the GM really runs the show there.

Fletcher is the GM and President. He's 100% responsible for everything that's happening.

The only person above him is Dave Scott, who doesn't even know the players on the team, so there's no chance he pulling the strings. Scott once named 29 year old AHLer Gerald Mayhew as one of the teams young exciting prospects, so clearly he's not paying any attention. Clarke and Holmgren are just advisors, so he could get rid of them if he wanted.

Problem is, Clarke is the reason Fletcher got hired and all three of those idiots brainstorm together to come up with new and exciting ways to make the team bigger, tougher, and worse at hockey. If Chuck were fired and Clarke/Holmgren remained to whisper Scotts ear, we'd just end up with another idiot as GM who only cares about gooning it up and pandering to the dumbest casual fans, while pretending we don't need a full rebuild before having any chance to climb out of the leagues basement.

The fact that Chuck is the guy in charge right now is further proven by the fact that he didn't do something drastic to make sure we got Gaudreau, like Holmgren certainly would have. There's talk that other members of the Flyers front office wanted them to do whatever it took to sign him and are pissed that Fletcher didn't even really try because "opening up cap space is difficult". Meanwhile, we've recently spent $11.85m on signing Risto, DeAngelo, and Deslauriers, when we knew for a long time that Johnny wanted to come here as a UFA and planning ahead to make that happen should've been the easiest thing in the world.

So long story short, everyone needs to go. We're f***ed until there's massive changes.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Fletcher is the GM and President. He's 100% responsible for everything that's happening.

The only person above him is Dave Scott, who doesn't even know the players on the team, so there's no chance he pulling the strings. Scott once named 29 year old AHLer Gerald Mayhew as one of the teams young exciting prospects, so clearly he's not paying any attention. Clarke and Holmgren are just advisors, so he could get rid of them if he wanted.

Problem is, Clarke is the reason Fletcher got hired and all three of those idiots brainstorm together to come up with new and exciting ways to make the team bigger, tougher, and worse at hockey. If Chuck were fired and Clarke/Holmgren remained to whisper Scotts ear, we'd just end up with another idiot as GM who only cares about gooning it up and pandering to the dumbest casual fans, while pretending we don't need a full rebuild before having any chance to climb out of the leagues basement.

The fact that Chuck is the guy in charge right now is further proven by the fact that he didn't do something drastic to make sure we got Gaudreau, like Holmgren certainly would have. There's talk that other members of the Flyers front office wanted them to do whatever it took to sign him and are pissed that Fletcher didn't even really try because "opening up cap space is difficult". Meanwhile, we've recently spent $11.85m on signing Risto, DeAngelo, and Deslauriers, when we knew for a long time that Johnny wanted to come here as a UFA and planning ahead to make that happen should've been the easiest thing in the world.

So long story short, everyone needs to go. We're f***ed until there's massive changes.
Good info, thanks. I can't say I have love for the Flyers but even I think it is a shame what is going on right now. The assets given up to go from Ghost to dirtbag DeAngelo alone is insane. I think they're 100% wrong to not just do a full rebuild but, like, OK, then how do you not do what it takes to land Johnny when he clearly wanted to be there. It is just nuts.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Good info, thanks. I can't say I have love for the Flyers but even I think it is a shame what is going on right now. The assets given up to go from Ghost to dirtbag DeAngelo alone is insane. I think they're 100% wrong to not just do a full rebuild but, like, OK, then how do you not do what it takes to land Johnny when he clearly wanted to be there. It is just nuts.

Yeah, it's not fun when a historic rival looks like they are in such a mess. Like, for a season? Sure, but man, that looks like a terrible hole for the Flyers to dig out of and they haven't learned the first lesson of getting out of a big hole: stop digging. It wouldn't surprise me if they make a move or two more before they finally stop digging.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Exactly. Literally nothing they've done since Fletcher got hired has made a bit of sense. There's no plan.

He just keeps bitching about needing more high end skill, needing to have the puck more, and needing to be better defensively. They don't add skill, don't care at all about puck possession or play driving, and only add bad defensive players.

-They traded Ghost and a 2nd round pick for nothing because they said they had to get rid of his contract (even though he was their best D that year and has been better than "#1D" Provorov every single year), then a year later they trade three draft picks for a worse version of Ghost and pay him 500k more per year. Bonus fun fact: last offseason the sales pitch for their awful Ghost and Voracek moves (where they traded those two and added Kevin Hayes buddies Atkinson and Yandle) was that they wanted to shake up the locker room and add more "great character guys". So now they add TDA? lol yeah, ok bud

-Apparently when they traded Giroux last trade deadline he wanted a guarantee that they would bring him back this offseason but they told him they weren't going to re-sign him. How the hell do you not re-sign the guy who is still your best offensive player - indisputably a top 3 Flyer of all time and clearly still a top line player in this league - when he's willing to come back for cheap and you're trying to contend? Signing DeAngelo and Deslauriers took up more cap space than G signed for.

-They refuse to rebuild and want to contend now but a superstar like JG becomes available and he begs to come to your team... so you say no to him and instead waste all that available cap space on DeAngelo and two dogshit players?

The trading, signings, hiring's, drafting, development... it's all been horrific. There's literally not one single good thing within this org right now.

The only good news is he's unintentionally setting us up to have the best possible chance at a top 3 pick next year. Tanking while trying to contend... the Chuck Fletcher special.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Exactly. Literally nothing they've done since Fletcher got hired has made a bit of sense. There's no plan.

He just keeps bitching about needing more high end skill, needing to have the puck more, and needing to be better defensively. They don't add skill, don't care at all about puck possession or play driving, and only add bad defensive players.

-They traded Ghost and a 2nd round pick for nothing because they said they had to get rid of his contract (even though he was their best D that year and has been better than "#1D" Provorov every single year), then a year later they trade three draft picks for a worse version of Ghost and pay him 500k more per year. Bonus fun fact: last offseason the sales pitch for their awful Ghost and Voracek moves (where they traded those two and added Kevin Hayes buddies Atkinson and Yandle) was that they wanted to shake up the locker room and add more "great character guys". So now they add TDA? lol yeah, ok bud

-Apparently when they traded Giroux last trade deadline he wanted a guarantee that they would bring him back this offseason but they told him they weren't going to re-sign him. How the hell do you not re-sign the guy who is still your best offensive player - indisputably a top 3 Flyer of all time and clearly still a top line player in this league - when he's willing to come back for cheap and you're trying to contend? Signing DeAngelo and Deslauriers took up more cap space than G signed for.

-They refuse to rebuild and want to contend now but a superstar like JG becomes available and he begs to come to your team... so you say no to him and instead waste all that available cap space on DeAngelo and two dogshit players?

The trading, signings, hiring's, drafting, development... it's all been horrific. There's literally not one single good thing within this org right now.

The only good news is he's unintentionally setting us up to have the best possible chance at a top 3 pick next year. Tanking while trying to contend... the Chuck Fletcher special.
Wow. I didn't know that about Giroux.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I’d still take JVR for less than that 2023 1. Just buy him out who cares. its a two year cap hit they’ll never notice. Use money to buy assets damnit.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
JVR shouldn't have negative value, which is why if Fletcher was smart and actually trying to compete he wouldn't even be trying to trade him. Trading him and giving up a 1st to do it is incomprehensible.

He's legitimately been very good since he re-signed here. Don't be fooled by last years scoring, like I said above, we had the 2nd worst offense in the league and our PP was utterly sabotaged all year long. Not even Giroux was scoring at the rate you'd expect of him until he was freed from this hell hole, so of course guys below him were suffering too.

On top of that, JVR has been constantly stuck in the bottom six and with dogshit linemates, for no reason at all, which just makes the fact that he led the team in goals last year that much more impressive. It's the 14 assists while playing with cemented-handed AHLers and goons that kinda kills the point total.

Would I trade him if possible? Absolutely, but not for negative value. With a competent GM we could definitely get a pick back for him, while also removing a capable goal scorer who could hurt our tanking effort.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
We could probably get Tyler Myers and Jason Dickinson from Van for nothing. And maybe they add a 4th

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
But the comment says it was Florida's 2024 1st offered, that teams wanted Philly's 2023 1st instead which they refused to offer.
Still a first round pick for 5M real money, potentially half that, seems reasonable

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
I just realized that Larsson is actually still available. It was reported on FA day that the penguins signed him, but that is still unconfirmed by anyone even today, as far as I know. Cap Friendly still has him unsigned.

View attachment 569740
Bringing back The Johan and re-uniting LOG would be such a smart low-key, potentiallly high-impact move, just further improving the team by insulating our young forwards and giving them a chance to stay in it on most nights.

Do it, Kevyn!

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
Klingberg follows a ton of NHL players, especially fellow Swedes, which 3 of those are.
I think it’s interesting if the tweet is true that it’s all recently new follows being Flames though. Either way I’m just hoping we don’t scoop him and it sounds like we aren’t expecting any huge moves left anyhow

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Wtf is Pittsburgh doing

Trying to keep their window pried open for three more years by the look of it. I mean, we can question HOW they are doing it, but it looks like they're trying to go out with another swing on a veteran laden team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad