Free Agent Frenzy 2022

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
There's been rumors all offseason on them trading Sandin, I wonder if that's their plan to stay cap compliant?

Adams basically said they were done too -- I wouldn't expect anything else either.

Granted, Dreger yet again ginning up that Buffalo is not done this morning again. It seems like they're out there in the mix on some players but haven't dove into the asks for guys like Chychrun nor moved off from asking for a sweetener to take on JVR. I'm content with that right now.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Same here. I’m a little jealous TBH. He would have looked good anchoring the 4th line and taking D-zone faceoffs.
We don't have place for him. I understand that the more good players, the better, but the places in the squad are not rubber.

Irving Zisman

Really Bad Grandpa
Nov 5, 2007
'Merica
We don't have place for him. I understand that the more good players, the better, but the places in the squad are not rubber.
Disagree. I think he as the 12th forward/4C and Vinny/Peterka fighting for #13 (which would lead to a guy like Peterka playing 50-60+ games anyway as the first call-up) would be fine.

I also prefer him in that role over Girgensons or Asplund (prefer them at Wing that is, at least for the time being).

But to your overall point- It’s definitely not catastrophic that we didn’t sign that type role player to a 4-year deal.

alehman42

Sponsor
Apr 13, 2015
Disagree. I think he as the 12th forward/4C and Vinny/Peterka fighting for #13 (which would lead to a guy like Peterka playing 50-60+ games anyway as the first call-up) would be fine.

I also prefer him in that role over Girgensons or Asplund (prefer them at Wing that is, at least for the time being).

But to your overall point- It’s definitely not catastrophic that we didn’t sign that type role player to a 4-year deal.
I agree; I've been arguing there's room for another forward (preferably a natural center, given the number of C/W types on the roster) since Adams' presser on Wednesday.

Last season the top 12 forwards in terms of games played appeared in 55+ games each, but that included Bjork and Hayden who don't belong in the NHL. Numbers 13-15 were Tuch, Krebs, and Mittelstadt, with 40-50 games each. Beyond that Ruotsalainen, Caggiula, Murray, and Jankowski got into 18-19 games each.

Going at least 15 deep with NHL-caliber forwards seems like it should be standard procedure, not a luxury. That does mean that one of the youngsters has to go to Rochester in the very rare moments when nobody's hurt, in Covid protocol, or whatever other sh*t Murphy's Law throws at the roster...but after the last few seasons, I think it's safe to say that won't be very often or for very long.

Irving Zisman

Really Bad Grandpa
Nov 5, 2007
'Merica
I agree; I've been arguing there's room for another forward (preferably a natural center, given the number of C/W types on the roster) since Adams' presser on Wednesday.

Last season the top 12 forwards in terms of games played appeared in 55+ games each, but that included Bjork and Hayden who don't belong in the NHL. Numbers 13-15 were Tuch, Krebs, and Mittelstadt, with 40-50 games each. Beyond that Ruotsalainen, Caggiula, Murray, and Jankowski got into 18-19 games each.

Going at least 15 deep with NHL-caliber forwards seems like it should be standard procedure, not a luxury. That does mean that one of the youngsters has to go to Rochester in the very rare moments when nobody's hurt, in Covid protocol, or whatever other sh*t Murphy's Law throws at the roster...but after the last few seasons, I think it's safe to say that won't be very often or for very long.
Completely agree. Adams seems to have taken this approach with the D (we have very capable players for spots 7-10). I’d still like one more Vet Center who can PK, win draws, and log tough D-zone minutes as opposed to putting Girgensons or Asplund there (and I mean hey- Those guys can do that… I just like them better on the wing, particularly Asplund with Olofsson, etc).

Reactions: alehman42

alehman42

Sponsor
Apr 13, 2015
Completely agree. Adams seems to have taken this approach with the D (we have very capable players for spots 7-10). I’d still like one more Vet Center who can PK, win draws, and log tough D-zone minutes as opposed to putting Girgensons or Asplund there (and I mean hey- Those guys can do that… I just like them better on the wing, particularly Asplund with Olofsson, etc).
Yes. Asplund has shown he can significantly tilt the possession metrics even while playing with offensive-minded linemates; it seems like a waste to play him with Girgensons/Okposo.

Stastny's still available and wouldn't require much term. And Larsson is apparently Schrodinger's center at the moment - both signed and unsigned - so he may still be available too. Gagner's the other name that caught my eye, but he's not much of a faceoff guy.

Adams may yet surprise us, but I'm not optimistic.

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
I just realized that Larsson is actually still available. It was reported on FA day that the penguins signed him, but that is still unconfirmed by anyone even today, as far as I know. Cap Friendly still has him unsigned.

Screenshot_20220715-182048_Samsung Internet Beta.jpg

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

Adams said (the opinion of the coaching staff) that they do not need another player for this position, Asplund or Zemgus can be 4C. And I agree with this. I think Quinn and Peterka will be on the team.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet; EF mentioned that teams were not interested in the 2024 1st (FL) as a sweetener for taking JVR from Philly. They wanted the 2023 Philly 1st. Flyers were not interested in doing that.

Philly awful at managing their team. I've assumed for at least 5 years that JG wanted to come home when he became UFA. They should have planned ahead. :thumbu:

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Appert mentioned R2 as a candidate to compete for the 4th line center position. We'll see.

Granted, Dreger yet again ginning up that Buffalo is not done this morning again. It seems like they're out there in the mix on some players but haven't dove into the asks for guys like Chychrun nor moved off from asking for a sweetener to take on JVR. I'm content with that right now.
I think KA is still making/taking calls to improve the team, but I don't expect any more moves.

I think he is checking out the market and seeing if there is a possibility of buying low on a player he really likes.

Reactions: Irving Zisman

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
No, I mean, a guy like Jankrok just won't take the role of #13 - #14 if anything. I don't mind if they add some forward who is ready to be on the bench or sometimes be our 4C.

Irving Zisman

Really Bad Grandpa
Nov 5, 2007
'Merica
Adams said (the opinion of the coaching staff) that they do not need another player for this position, Asplund or Zemgus can be 4C. And I agree with this. I think Quinn and Peterka will be on the team.
Again, I’m not necessarily disagreeing with you here- I don’t think it’s a total necessity to add this type of player. They could go into the season as-is and get by. But, I think it would simultaneously improve the team, while also not really “blocking” a guy like Peterka (who as we mentioned would still play 50-60ish games anyway as the first call-up in this post-Covid world we live in).

I also think there’s a level of semantics to Adams’ comments- Not “needing” to add a player in that role doesn’t mean, “we wouldn’t do it if the player, term, and $ amount made sense.”
I just realized that Larsson is actually still available. It was reported on FA day that the penguins signed him, but that is still unconfirmed by anyone even today, as far as I know. Cap Friendly still has him unsigned.

View attachment 569740
Interesting… I wanted him back before I thought he signed with PIT.

Reactions: michaelsaas

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Listening to Granato's comments this morning - sounds like they are done. He said he now knows what the lineup will be going into camp at the very end of the HJS interview so I wouldn't expect anything more.
I think they are done as far as "the plan" goes, but I would think there are some potential trades out there they would consider

Edit: I just saw your later comment with Dreger referencing this very thing.

Reactions: Irving Zisman

Irving Zisman

Really Bad Grandpa
Nov 5, 2007
'Merica
No, I mean, a guy like Jankrok just won't take the role of #13 - #14 if anything. I don't mind if they add some forward who is ready to be on the bench or sometimes be our 4C.
That player wouldn’t be a scratch, he’d be entrenched as the 4C. Peterka likely would start in Rochester as the first call-up (think Jason Pominville 05-06.) That scenario worked out well for everyone involved…

Reactions: alehman42

Irving Zisman

Really Bad Grandpa
Nov 5, 2007
'Merica
Appert mentioned R2 as a candidate to compete for the 4th line center position. We'll see.

I think KA is still making/taking calls to improve the team, but I don't expect any more moves.

I think he is checking out the market and seeing if there is a possibility of buying low on a player he really likes.

Same thoughts. I think guys like Weegar, Chychrun and Tkachuk cost way too much, but that he’s doing his due diligence on making a move if it fits with the core.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
That player wouldn’t be a scratch, he’d be entrenched as the 4C. Peterka likely would start in Rochester as the first call-up (think Jason Pominville 05-06.) That scenario worked out well for everyone involved…
I think Peterka deserves to start in Buffalo, I hope he proves it in September and starts in Buffalo, he is a stud.

Irving Zisman

Really Bad Grandpa
Nov 5, 2007
'Merica
I think Peterka deserves to start in Buffalo, I hope he proves it in September and starts in Buffalo, he is a stud.
I think he probably will, but there’s no shame in him starting in the “Roy/Pominville 05-06” slot (playing his way onto the NHL roster by December and never looking back, after getting 20+ minutes a night in Rochester as an all-situations 1st liner).

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet; EF mentioned that teams were not interested in the 2024 1st (FL) as a sweetener for taking JVR from Philly. They wanted the 2023 Philly 1st. Flyers were not interested in doing that.

Philly awful at managing their team. I've assumed for at least 5 years that JG wanted to come home when he became UFA. They should have planned ahead. :thumbu:
1 year contract for a 1st rounder of a bottom feeder? Who doesn't want that?

Really high chance it's top 10. 2025 could be if it was protected to.

I'd be upset if we didn't take that, but I'd be shocked if that was actually an option that every team with space passed on

Professor Chaos

May 1, 2018
Gotham
If COL ends up re-signing Kadri, which looks very possible, they're going to have to cave and trade Compher or Girard. Not sure Girards 5y/$25m would be very easy to move right now, I'd definitely call on Compher to gauge his value.
NHL Radio basically saying that Colorado needs to get a new deal done with Mackinnon before they can commit to anything with Kadri. Said they would be foolish to sign Kadri without knowing what Mackinnons new deal cost them. Could be awhile...

Reactions: Sabreality

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
1 year contract for a 1st rounder of a bottom feeder? Who doesn't want that?

Really high chance it's top 10. 2025 could be if it was protected to.

I'd be upset if we didn't take that, but I'd be shocked if that was actually an option that every team with space passed on

Agreed, that story seems a little far fetched.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad