GDT: Free Agent Frenzy 2021

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Just to bring my last post over as it's a rare one where put effort, re: Tampa:

After trading Johnson, they now have about 5.5 million in space with 16 guys signed. Already lost Goodrow, Coleman, Gourde, Savard, and Johnson. I would personally try to move Killorn for more space but they have enough room if they want to bring in rookies. A cap compliant roster (this is a max cap team, zero wiggle room) would look something like (from Tampa's beat writer)

Ondrej Palat-Brayden Point-Nikita Kucherov
Alex Killorn-Anthony Cirelli-Steven Stamkos
Ross Colton-Mitchell Stephens-Mathieu Joseph
Pat Maroon-Gemel Smith-Taylor Raddysh

Victor Hedman-Jan Rutta
Ryan McDonagh-Erik Cernak
Mikhail Sergachev-Cal Foote

Vasi
Christopher Gibson

That's certainly a very good roster, but 3 peat? I'm not betting on it. They lost their entire 3rd line and a solid depth dman.​

Reactions: gizmo12688

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida
I don't expect any defense changes and think this is our group going into preseason.

all I hope for today is Reinhart and Verhaeghe extensions.

Reactions: pantherbot

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Wasn't it that the buyout cap hit for +35yo contracts is 1/3 of the contract value and same for +26yo contracts is 2/3?
Under 26yo, 1/3 caphit and money.
26yo or older, 2/3 caphit and money (note: this buyout applies even if you turn 35, as long as the contract was signed at age 34 or younger, Suter/Parise are examples).
35+ contract, full caphit (for the years remaining, the length doesn't double except for the money, but caphit is then zero for those years, so assuming Suter signs for 3.5 it would be 3.5/3.5/0/0) and 2/3 money.

Marleau is IIRC the most recent example of a 35+ contract buyout, though it didn't have any real effect on Leafs, because they paid Canes to take it on.

If it only costs a 2nd to get out of a cap hole we’ll be fine in 2 years when we’re struggling.
I think this isn't a true representation of the price, as Hawks are probably doing these moves in part to switch the narrative about them. Like the Fleury acquisition just sounds so desperate "look we got a good likeable guy, nothing's wrong, right? RIGHT?!?!?", he's let teams know he might retire if traded and Hawks still do a solid for Vegas.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I struggle to understand what New Jersey and Vancouver are doing. Below average teams at best that are seemingly making win now moves.
I honestly think Vancouver is the 3rd best team in their division so playoffs will follow, Benning is in win now mode so he doesn't care about how f***ed their future cap is. New Jersey, no clue, but f*** the Devils.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I struggle to understand what New Jersey and Vancouver are doing. Below average teams at best that are seemingly making win now moves.

Maybe the owners are pushing the GM to turn around the teams faster?

Not saying these guys will do it, but desperation will make GMs make dumb mistakes for long term planning.

Reactions: FlaPanthers11

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Tony DeAngelos biggest enemy is himself.
Although, if he can cut the shit with behavioral issues it could payoff for Carolina. Wouldn't bet on that though

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
4C is about the only thing I'm expecting and a veteran goalie for Charlotte on a 2-way contract.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I'd like to see us grab some center depth today in case Lundell bombs and/or the injury bug hits. Otherwise, I'm fine with going into the season with what we have. Yes, the team could use another D (but you could honestly say this about almost every team in the league, there isn't a board on this forum that doesn't have this need it feels like) - but I'm honestly comfortable with the roster as it stands. In fact, I'm expecting big things from these guys this year. The forward group is fantastic...

Verhaeghe-Barkov-Reinhart
Huberdeau-Bennett-Tippett
Vatrano-Lundell-Duclair
Mamin-Acciari-Hornqvist

Forsling-Ekblad
Montour-Weegar
Nuutivara-Gudas

Knight/Bob

Reactions: Panteras

oOwlCat

FL > TN
Jun 24, 2010
Nashville, TN
I'd be happy adding a D like Jake McCabe (or Suter for 1-2 yrs)

Also could see us Trading Vatrano to clear some breathing room - although I don't think that needs to be done today...

upload_2021-7-28_10-1-43.png

oOwlCat

FL > TN
Jun 24, 2010
Nashville, TN
I think Mccabe is going to sign with Chicago. The Hawks made a move to trade Zadorov to Calgary.

I would've liked Mccabe over Suter but I think Montour is going to spin heads this season.

Ah, I'm late on that. If Suter won't go 2 years - maybe we leverage Vatrano in a trade for a D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad