Speculation: Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I take Toews resume of 86 points in 130 AHL games and 18 points in half an NHL season. plus looking great in the playoffs at the age of 25, especially if it's about finding an NHL player at that time. Accolades are in Zub's favour. Toews would have been up earlier if not for missing more than half his 23/24 year old season to injury

Zaitsev is the best KHL UFA D signing out of the past 10 or so years, he had accomplished more than Zub at a younger age. Zub turning in to another Zaitsev would be at the highest end of successes in KHL UFA's on D in a decade, and I take Toews over that, so I'd place my bets pretty heavily on Toews.

I initially brought Zub up in the context of getting players for free...which in his case we did.

How he pans out in the NHL is obviously uncertain. But i can't think of an NHL UFA D man that we would have been legitimately in on that's clearly better. And he was free. #assetmanagement

Reactions: GCK

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
You say for free but if Nate Schmidt was a UFA I highly doubt he would get the contract he’s bringing to Vancouver. That’s a lot of dollars and term for a team that just let Markstrom, Toffoli, Tanev and Stecher walk. Odd move.
Markstrom walking will be better long term.

Schmidt is better than Tanev or Stecher.

Not keeping Toffoli sucks for them, but that's no reason not to address their weakest position. Also Schmidt is a 2/3 D, that's worth 5.9 mil.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
I initially brought Zub up in the context of getting players for free...which in his case we did.

How he pans out in the NHL is obviously uncertain. But i can't think of an NHL UFA D man that we would have been legitimately in on that's clearly better. And he was free. #assetmanagement
I’m taking TVR over Gudbranson, Brown and Zub. Not only is he a better player, you could also keep the 4th + 5th!

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I’m taking TVR over Gudbranson, Brown and Zub. Not only is he a better player, you could also keep the 4th + 5th!
I thought TVR meant Trevor Van Reimsdyk until you said he was a better player, but that can’t be the TVR you meaant because Trevor Van Reimsdyk is one of the worst defenceman in the league.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Markstrom walking will be better long term.

Schmidt is better than Tanev or Stecher.

Not keeping Toffoli sucks for them, but that's no reason not to address their weakest position. Also Schmidt is a 2/3 D, that's worth 5.9 mil.
I agree Schmidt is a little bit better than Tanev but I thought Tanev really helped Hughes when they played together. It will be interesting to see if a Hughes / Schmidt pairing works as well.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
LHD @ 6M with 5 years left on his contract. Would love him in the short term but not at the expense of blocking out Sanderson, Brannstrom and Wooly in a couple of years.

Also has a NTC which likely includes Ottawa.

Schmidt is getting overrated. He's no top-2 D. He's a very solid top-4 D; definitely better than Tanev/Stetcher(by a mile).
Plus 6M for another 5 years; I can see why he went for so cheap. And like others were saying he probably had Ottawa on his list.

My only gripe with the D signings is why both Brown and Gudbranson? One would've been enough. We need help at F (top-6 veteran to replace Ryan).

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Schmidt is getting overrated. He's no top-2 D. He's a very solid top-4 D; definitely better than Tanev/Stetcher(by a mile).
Plus 6M for another 5 years; I can see why he went for so cheap. And like others were saying he probably had Ottawa on his list.

My only gripe with the D signings is why both Brown and Gudbranson? One would've been enough. We need help at F (top-6 veteran to replace Ryan).
I picked up a pylon at a construction site. It will replace Ryan.

Reactions: Beville and Puikiou

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
I thought TVR meant Trevor Van Reimsdyk until you said he was a better player, but that can’t be the TVR you meaant because Trevor Van Reimsdyk is one of the worst defenceman in the league.
Let’s be honest and take off the homer glasses. Trevor van Riemsdyk is a better hockey player than Brown and Gudbranson and can PK be good on the PK. And if we’re being honest, his play doesn’t even matter since the Sens are still a basement team.

Last edited:

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Let’s be honest and take off the homer glasses. Trevor van Riemsdyk is a better hockey player than Brown and Gudbranson and can PK be good on the PK.
Not homer glasses. If we get Vancouver Gudbranson it will suck, but it’s only 1 year. As for Josh Brown, I went back and watched a little bit of him, I think he is exactly what we need on the 3rd pair with one of Wolanin, Brannstrom or Reilly. He can actually skate and uses his size I think he will be a surprise but most on this board won’t acknowledge it because they made up their minds before ever seeing him.

EDIT: TVR is brutal, he was awful in Chicago and he was a tire fire in Carolina.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I think we all can relate to what Blues fans are feeling right now watching their captain sign with another team.

Miss you Alfredsson. :(

Reactions: topshelf15

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
They got a Cup recently and have an owner that’ll spend to the cap.

True, but it still sucks to see your captain leave. They thought that he would retire with them.

Some even went as far as saying that he would get his jersey retired and have a statue built for him.

Last edited:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
True, but it still sucks to see your captain leave. They thought that he would retire with them.

Some even went as far as saying that he would get his jersey retired and have a statue built for him.

Not only that, they sign Krug to a ludicrous contract.

Reminded me of us losing Alfie then bringing in Ryan right away; horrific times.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Do you guys think we have any chance of bringing in Athanasiou?

Apparently we've been looking at him, I can't remember who said it but I know someone mentionned it on Twitter and it wasn't a nobody.

Personally I think he'd be a bad fit here with DJ Smith but at the same time could be a decent buy low option. I think I'd rather circle back on Duclair before going to AA.

And before either Duclair and Anthanasiou I'd take a shot at Granlund.

I really have a feeling Duclair is coming back here on a 1 year deal. He needs a place where he'll get a lot of minutes and will play a primary role if he wants to get a nice contract and I just don't think that many team would be ready to offer him that opportunity. He'll also have to reduce his contract demands significantly if I guy like Toffoli is making 4M. He probably gets something around 2-3M for 1 year.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Sens need to do something TODAY to give Sens fans some positivity after this injury news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad