Salary Cap: Free Agency X | All Pens FA News, Legit FA Rumors, Trade Ideas Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
It's been a couple weeks (in the off-season for a lot of sports). It doesn't take that much time to watch a some games, see some highlight videos, read some blogs and look at some stats.

I'm skeptical that any Penguins bloggers know any more about Spaling than I do, which is nothing but his statistics and his age. I'm equally skeptical that Penguins fans are watching old Nashville Predator games in July.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Lets be honest guys. It wouldn't "feel" right if we didn't go into an upcoming season with a bunch of grinders and a paltry amount of top-6 wingers.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
show me where I said he'll regress. I won't hold my breath

He was on pace for 37 pts last year. For him not to be worth 2-2.5, he'll have to regress a good bit. Take away his PP numbers and adjust his shooting % and hes still in the 30 pt pace territory. 3rd line numbers.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I think all of us should admit that none of us know a damned thing about Nick Spaling. I know I don't.

I know everything about Spalding. :rant:

I know general things, young 3rd liner, decent size, reportedly hard working and offensively on the upswing in ****ing Nashville. I think he's a good locker room guy? Probably a part of them trying to fix the room and team in general. Horrible interview on Madden.

I do however know things about Dupuis and Sutter that I don't like.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
I'm skeptical that any Penguins bloggers know any more about Spaling than I do, which is nothing but his statistics and his age. I'm equally skeptical that Penguins fans are watching old Nashville Predator games in July.

I was talking about Nashville bloggers, reporters and fans. And I watch games from the previous season in the off-season to get my hockey fix. It wasn't too hard to intentionally watch some Preds games

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
That's me, and I stand by my comment.

You cannot pay a crapload of money for the Spaling's and Sutters of the world. And 2.5MM for a 26-year old RFA Spaling would, in my opinion, be a crapload.

The problem with that argument is that the only numbers that's been tossed around in the hockey circles was Spaling asking $2.4M and the Pens not giving it to him. If he's asking $2.4M, he'll likely end up with $2.0M-$2.2M out of arbitration.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
everything written about him by the media on the day of the trade called him a 3rd/4th-line tweener. Now he's a top-6 hopeful?

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I value local fans and Nashville media opinion more. And no, I never said he was a top 6 option. Ive said every single time hes a 3rd line player. And being paid accordingly.

Ill be happy to link what ive read when im not on my phone.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
He was on pace for 37 pts last year. For him not to be worth 2-2.5, he'll have to regress a good bit. Take away his PP numbers and adjust his shooting % and hes still in the 30 pt pace territory. 3rd line numbers.

You are paying him for one year.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
The problem with that argument is that the only numbers that's been tossed around in the hockey circles was Spaling asking $2.4M and the Pens not giving it to him. If he's asking $2.4M, he'll likely end up with $2.0M-$2.2M out of arbitration.

Funny thing is, no legit source has said anything. We're guessing. Id imagine he'll shoot for Sobotka's 2.725 number. We'll want closer to his QO. If we have the upper hand in the hearing, 2 is my guess. If he does, closer to 2.5.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
everything written about him by the media on the day of the trade called him a 3rd/4th-line tweener. Now he's a top-6 hopeful?

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Rutherford, himself, stated that the last spot in the top 6 will be decided between Bennett, Spaling, and Downie. They're pencilling in Kunitz, Crosby, Dupuis, Malkin, and Hornqvist as the top 5.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013

Spaling got a higher percentage of offensive zone starts than Sidney Crosby. He had a lower percentage of d-zone starts than almost all of the Pens bottom 6 (the exceptions were guys like Gibbons, Megna and Bennett who got top 6 time and protected starts as youngsters). He played with better quality players (Legwand, Josi, Weber) than anyone in the Pens bottom 6.

If he doesn't have those opportunities and teammates, does he hit 30+ pts with the Pens?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Correct. Im in favor of a one year deal b/c we'll still have contract control next summer. A better situation than dealing with a UFA.

I am against paying a bottom-6 player for one year.

Even with 2013's production, his career ppg average would put him at a 23pt player.

Maybe 2013 was a sign of things to come. Or maybe it was an aberration. The Penguins have invested far too much money in aberrations over the past decade.

edit: let me clarify, because I think I'm wording this wrong: you're paying him BASED on one year of production.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Id sign him to a one year prove it deal. Deal with him as a RFA next summer.

We need longterm solutions at forward. We have guys on one year deals. Aging vets. And a **** forward pipeline.

I think if we retain both Spaling and Sutter, the cap space and assets for a top 6 winger will come from the defense.

I just dont get the overreaction. But if you thought he was taking his QO, I guess you would be upset. I thought around 2. Maybe more if he has a good agent who can sell his last season.

I'm not upset. I'm questioning the validity of spending an average of 3 mil per on our 3rd liners while there are two top 6 wings making ~1 mil each.

I don't think that's a recipe for a successful team, so there'd better be some moving parts.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Rutherford, himself, stated that the last spot in the top 6 will be decided between Bennett, Spaling, and Downie. They're pencilling in Kunitz, Crosby, Dupuis, Malkin, and Hornqvist as the top 5.

If Shero and Bylsma were still around I would believe that, but I'm not so sure the new regime will pencil in a 35-year old coming off ACL surgery into the top 6. We can't even be 100% sure if he'll be in the line-up opening night. Even if he is, we also can't assume he won't have any issues with his knee as the season goes on.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK

Dupuis should have to fight for a spot to especially given his injury.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Did Rutherford say that?

The press conference I heard (during FA), said that Spaling, Dupuis, Bennett would all be looked at in the top-6. Was there another set of quotes after that that said Dupuis was in the top-6 for sure?

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I am against paying a bottom-6 player for one year.

Even with 2013's production, his career ppg average would put him at a 23pt player.

Maybe 2013 was a sign of things to come. Or maybe it was an aberration. The Penguins have invested far too much money in aberrations over the past decade.

I have no idea what youre saying.

Youd sign Stemp to a one year deal, but not Spaling even though we control him next summer.

Again, if you think last year was an aberration, then you believe he'll regress back to his previous production.

But whatever. Ill post later what leads me to believe hes a quality player worth paying. And leave it at that. Hearing in 2 days, we can argue then.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I'm not upset. I'm questioning the validity of spending an average of 3 mil per on our 3rd liners while there are two top 6 wings making ~1 mil each.

I don't think that's a recipe for a successful team, so there'd better be some moving parts.

I dont care how they allocate the cap as long as another top 6 winger is brought in. Trade fleury. Dump Scuds. Make a swap with Martin. Let Dupuis play his way back into having value then move him.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I have no idea what youre saying.

Youd sign Stemp to a one year deal, but not Spaling even though we control him next summer.

Again, if you think last year was an aberration, then you believe he'll regress back to his previous production.

But whatever. Ill post later what leads me to believe hes a quality player worth paying. And leave it at that. Hearing in 2 days, we can argue then.

Why do you care about controlling Spaling? He's not a special player. Who cares?

edit: AND I DON'T KNOW IF IT'S AN ABERRATION, THAT'S THE POINT. YOU DON'T KNOW, STOP PAYING THEM.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I dont care how they allocate the cap as long as another top 6 winger is brought in. Trade fleury. Dump Scuds. Make a swap with Martin. Let Dupuis play his way back into having value then move him.

If you get the right top 6 winger, then it's not a problem.

But...you have to get the right top 6 winger.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think all of us should admit that none of us know a damned thing about Nick Spaling. I know I don't.

I've watched him since his junior days in Kitchener. No, I'm not an expert at player evaluation by any means. But I'm familiar enough with the "type" of player he has and the "type" of skillset he has to believe his upside is more limited than some in this thread believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad