Salary Cap: Free Agency VIII | All Pens FA News, Legit FA Rumors, Trade Ideas Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentM

Jan 4, 2008
Allison Park, PA
I was just thinking about what numbers everyone would end up with, was excited to see it posted here!

Thomas Greiss - 1 - Solid goalie number

Christian Ehrhoff - 10 - Maybe I'm off here but it seems like an odd number for a d-man. I like it though

Nick Spaling - 13 - A personal favorite along with 3. My two favorite numbers to wear when I play roller or make myself in a video game haha

Blake Comeau - 17 - Good number, really liked it when Sykora wore it.

Steve Downie - 23 - His eventual goal total for the season :sarcasm:

Patric Hornqvist - 72 - Love it. I just like this much better than 27 and was happy when Kovy wore it during his short stint back here. If only this didn't mean that Adams wasn't going to still be here this year.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
If they assigned Adams to WBS and he refused to report, could they suspend him and be rid of the cap hit that way?

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I still don't get the love for Zucker here.

And Brett Connolly had about as much skill as one could ask for in a hockey player. The fact he has not made his mark on the league yet is shocking to me.

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
If they assigned Adams to WBS and he refused to report, could they suspend him and be rid of the cap hit that way?
I *think* in that instance they'd be permitted to just terminate the contract and be rid of him that way. When it comes to 35+ players with this CBA, though, it's tough to be 100 percent sure of anything.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
A sick and twisted place deep inside my guts wants Steve Ott as our 3rd line center, Downie as our RW, and Dupuis as our LW on the 3rd line.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
A sick and twisted place deep inside my guts wants Steve Ott as our 3rd line center, Downie as our RW, and Dupuis as our LW on the 3rd line.

If you google "Steve Ot" the first suggestion is "Steve Ott Penguins".

So I guess you aren't alone, there are a lot of sick and twisted people out there.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I just think he is a lot of what our 3rd line should be. Some scoring, but mostly a huge pain in the ass that is so tough to play against and just physically wears opponents down. And at this point, he's completely worth a 2 year contract, as you don't want to be tied to a guy like him for too long.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

35+ contracts stay on the book no matter what. I'm pretty sure he could be in jail for the year and we'd still be stuck with that contract.

They could justly terminate the contract and not be forced to pay him, but the cap hit remains.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Any other piece would be a prospect or pick, so it really wouldn't make a difference in the long run. That's why I wasn't upset with the Neal return. Yeah, getting their 2nd would have been nice, but whoever we would have picked there wouldn't be ready for a while and may not even become a NHLer.

I agree with what you're saying... but on the same hand, while the odds are against that pick developing into a top 9/4 player, you never know unless you actually draft them. Vladislav Kamenev (who Nash drafted w/ their 2nd) is a really nice prospect. There's also the principle of the matter. Neal's value wasn't maximized, and Nashville should have added more... thus not getting that last little plus was frustrating - even if the pick/prospect (like Tangradi) never panned out.

jk46

Jul 4, 2014
I think anyone would have taken the extra 2nd just for the chance of the pick being productive in the future. Or it gives you ammunition to flip the pick to another team for an asset to help you win now.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Hornqvist is just trolling us with his number 72 (27 backwards). He will get 27 no matter what, even if he has to reverse it.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
The Chiodo Dragon. Did he ever play anywhere ever again?

Not anywhere of note, really. After the Nailers, he bounced around teams in Liiga for a bit, signed a two-way with the Sens in '09 and I think plays in the ECHL, these days.

I remember many years ago arguing with (er... well... mostly shouting at, to be accurate) fans that thought he made Fleury expendable.

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
Tempted to make one of these... :naughty:
hornqvist.jpg

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I wouldn't mind 2012 Steve Ott, but 2014 seems done.

Yeah, I like Ott, but his game has fallen off significantly.

I think the term "done" is overkill. Is he the same guy he was in his mid-20's? Absolutely not. Can he still be effective in the right environment? I definitely think he can. Buffalo wasn't where he was going to succeed, and it doesn't seem like he fit in with STL at all.

AgentM

Jan 4, 2008
Allison Park, PA
I think the term "done" is overkill. Is he the same guy he was in his mid-20's? Absolutely not. Can he still be effective in the right environment? I definitely think he can. Buffalo wasn't where he was going to succeed, and it doesn't seem like he fit in with STL at all.

I'll admit I didn't see him play much at all but he still put up okay numbers for a 3rd liner minus his stint in St Louis like you said. He could be worth a shot to aero if he regains his form.

Maybe he'd take a cheap one year deal like everyone else so far to come prove himself and/or play for a contender. I imagine pretty much everyone here would take Ott for $1m this year over Adams at $760k right?

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
I think even in his 20s he was massively overrated.

Last season he was terrible on the league's worst team, then he was terrible on one of the league's best. Both teams were polar opposites and he got plenty of opportunity to play on each of them. If they're the wrong situation for him, what on earth is the right one?

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
That's where I'm at. Anyone remember what they thought it'd take to sign the guy around a year ago? Well that number is in half...the term is too. You can probably get him on a 2 year deal right now for around 2 million bucks. He will still give some secondary scoring, and he'll lay some guys out.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Ott may not be done, but if he were toast he'd be very crunchy.

I did not like what I saw out of him last year at all, especially not in St. Louis. He seems like he'd be a horrid fit for Johnston's system and almost certainly would cost too much anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad