GDT: Free Agency Thread: First of Many

Status
Not open for further replies.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Timo Meier would be my offersheet target. More realistic, could work at ~8.5M (an amount so that the compensation is just 1st, 2nd and 3rd). I assume Sharks would match, but they wouldn't be in a good situation cap wise if they did, and then we could offersheet Labanc for 5-6.5M.
Meir would be a nice pickup and I like your logic here, Aho would still be the guy I would prefer however, he's a helluva player.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
They traded Shaw yesterday. That may mean that they already know who they'll sign today.

That also means that it's not Lee because this would have leaked by now.

Most insiders talk about how secretive MB is and how difficult he is to read. Most have some thoughts, but even they have no idea what he has in store.

Just look at the Shaw trade yesterday. It came out of nowhere and it was the Habs who announced it. There were no rumblings of it coming up.

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
I don’t see Lee as a fit with this team at all. That would be a big disappointment if he is the big acquisition Bergy is angling more

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
With so many premium RFAs this year, pick the best one that is most likely to be unmatched and go for it!

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
When Mckenzie talks I usually listen but this time I think he might get a surprise.

Like Benning in Vancouver, Bergevins job is on the line if we don't make the playoffs. Weber has talked about having to make it this year, Price has talked about it............................Bergevin needs to make a splash in an attempt to get this team in or I think his ass is grass.

And I think he knows it too.

Yeah well , if Price had have played like an 11 million goalie more often they would have made playoffs. If Weber didn't miss start to the season, they would have made the playoffs.

but, I see your point.

Reactions: jj cale

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
13M offer sheet to Marner. Would you do it?

No. That would mean us giving up 4 firsts. Not worth it. Don't see it happening with Marner since he's expected to get $10m+ anyway from the Leafs.

It has to be a great player who isn't expected to get that much, which is why rumours are around Aho, Connor, Meier, Labanc, whose teams want a lot lower cap hit.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I'm in Montreal and I told my wife today not to bother me. She thinks I'm crazy, too. But I think your girl has more of a legit claim on this one, though.
Ya..she already mocks me writing on a hockey board..she legit does not understand the process.
Trying to explain to her what free agency and the open market is..she looked at me like an inferior moronic alien.

Reactions: Koivu11

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Marc Dumont is doing a Q and A type thing on The Athletic and he said from what he is hearing the Aho thing won’t be happening.

Reactions: Habaneros

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Most insiders talk about how secretive MB is and how difficult he is to read. Most have some thoughts, but even they have no idea what he has in store.

Just look at the Shaw trade yesterday. It came out of nowhere and it was the Habs who announced it. There were no rumblings of it coming up.

that's likely because he has no idea what he's going to do next... makes it up as he goes, with no rhyme or reason...

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
When Mckenzie talks I usually listen but this time I think he might get a surprise.

Like Benning in Vancouver, Bergevins job is on the line if we don't make the playoffs. Weber has talked about having to make it this year, Price has talked about it............................Bergevin needs to make a splash in an attempt to get this team in or I think his ass is grass.

And I think he knows it too.

Having Weber start the year will be a big help in that regard, team improved once he was back. Having a solid backup would also help as Niemi lost us too many games.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Ya..she already mocks me writing on a hockey board..she legit does not understand the process.
I used to get the same thing. One day I just replied "pinterest?" and have never heard a word again lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad