Salary Cap: Free Agency Part VI | Pens updates, roster ideas, proposals here | Cap space: $7.3M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I'm okay with reclamation projects as long as they still have age on their side. Downie and possibly Mueller are fine. But Heatley and Malone are done. Stick a fork in them.

Michael8771*

I'd like to have more than one guy like that, and Downie is probably going to play more than a fourth-line role.

I'd rather play Malone than Comeau on the fourth line, if he's clean and healthy.
You know what, IF he cleaned up his act, wouldn't become a distraction AND takes a minimum salary I could actually get behind this. As long as he knows he'll primarily be a bottom six guy and won't make waves about it. If he realizes at this point he's gonna be used in that capacity then yes, it does to some degree make sense.

I just don't want our coaches or he himself viewing him as a potential option in the top six. Other than a rare shift or two.

penguins2946*

Bringing in Malone would be a stupid idea. Even ignoring the drug issue, he just sucks at this point in his career. We already have enough bottom-6 forwards.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
i'm not a huge comeau fan but am a huge malone fan. they can share time on the fourth line imo

penguins2946*

i'm not a huge comeau fan but am a huge malone fan. they can share time on the fourth line imo

Comeau is massively better than Malone. Malone has no business taking time away from Comeau. Hell, Malone has no business being in the NHL. I would be seriously pissed off if Comeau would be scratched for Malone. Bringing in Malone would be worse than bringing in Heatley.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I am all for bringing Malone in.

We can't let Philly be the only team in Pennsylvania with a guy who would grab a cop's ass while high.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I'd take Malone on a tryout to compete with the kids on the roster. There's a forward spot still open but there's also no guarantee that Kapanen is ready and there's no way of knowing how high JR is on Megna. It really depends if they make any more moves though. Maybe they'll fill that last forward spot by trade and then there really isn't much point in bringing anybody in. Rosters pretty much full at that point.

Michael8771*

Malone is a stupid idea.

Bringing in Malone would be a stupid idea. Even ignoring the drug issue, he just sucks at this point in his career. We already have enough bottom-6 forwards.
If he was brought here under any circumstances but a 4th liner or occasional shift in the top nine, I'd agree. But as a minimum salary 4th liner? What risk is there? Provided of course his personal life is in order. He has size, he's physical and as a 4th liner would be one of the more skilled guys in that role.

penguins2946*

If we want to bring in an over the hill player whose best days are behind him, we should bring in Whitney. At least he can actually skate and play 70 games in a season.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Comeau will play. I think he serves his purpose. He's kind of evolved as a player. He went from briefly being a top 6 scorer early in his career to becoming much more of a bottom sixer that brings a bit of a physical presence with his hitting. He plays more on the edge these days and throws some boarder line dirty hits at times.

penguins2946*

If he was brought here under any circumstances but a 4th liner or occasional shift in the top nine, I'd agree. But as a minimum salary 4th liner? What risk is there? Provided of course his personal life is in order. He has size, he's physical and as a 4th liner would be one of the more skilled guys in that role.

He can't skate. He's really, really bad at this point. This is just yinzer nostalgia taking over. Our bottom-6 will probably be:

Spaling-Sutter-Downie
Comeau-Goc-Megna

Where is he supposed to fit there? Give him a camp invite, but giving him any guaranteed contract before he can show whether or not he can skate is a horrible idea.

Michael8771*

If we want to bring in an over the hill player whose best days are behind him, we should bring in Whitney. At least he can actually skate and play 70 games in a season.
No no no, see you're missing the point. Whitney would likely want a top six role. He's not a 4th line type of player, Malone however could be. And Malone only comes here if the salary is league minimum, Whitney would very likely require more.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007

Just not sure Whitney could play a bottom 6 role at his size. I don't really want Malone but he can't hurt on a tryout and I could see him chipping in some ugly goals on the 4th line if the incident he had gave him a wake up call and he gets in better shape.

Michael8771*

He can't skate. He's really, really bad at this point. This is just yinzer nostalgia taking over. Our bottom-6 will probably be:

Spaling-Sutter-Downie
Comeau-Goc-Megna

Where is he supposed to fit there? Give him a camp invite, but giving him any guaranteed contract before he can show whether or not he can skate is a horrible idea.
I don't think Malone's skating is all that bad. It's not great but it could be worse. As far as Comeau or Megna go in a 4th role capacity, I'd definitely give Malone a shot at supplanting one of them. Neither of those guys are world beaters.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007

Spaling-Sutter-Downie
Comeau-Goc-Megna

I wouldn't assume JR likes Megna though. I like him, this board likes him, but he's still a pretty fringe guy and it's possibly JR doesn't see him on the team this year, especially in a 4th line role. He's more of a call up when injuries hit the top 6, imo.

Michael8771*

Just not sure Whitney could play a bottom 6 role at his size. I don't really want Malone but he can't hurt on a tryout and I could see him chipping in some ugly goals on the 4th line if the incident he had gave him a wake up call and he gets in better shape.
Exactly!

penguins2946*

The intention of bringing in Whitney would be to play in the top-6 and push Dupuis into the bottom-6. Whitney still has some gas left in the tank and would be a solid option as a short term stopgap.

No no no, see you're missing the point. Whitney would likely want a top six role. He's not a 4th line type of player, Malone however could be. And Malone only comes here if the salary is league minimum, Whitney would very likely require more.

The point of bringing in Whitney would be to play in the top-6, because he still can pass as a top-6 LW. We could afford Whitney at like $2 million. Which of these 2 look nicer:

Whitney-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Malkin-Bennett
Spaling-Sutter-Dupuis
Comeau-Goc-Downie

Or

Dupuis-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Malkin-Bennett
Spaling-Sutter-Downie
Malone-Goc-Comeau

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Malone can play a 4th line role if he's clean. And if he uses that incident as a wake up call and works out properly this offseason, maybe he could be another great value signing.

He was being paid 4.5 mil. He ain't that player anymore. But for 550k playing 5-10 minutes/night, yeah he can handle that.

Wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to come back here either. Familiar faces and support to put the past behind him.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I don't see why I'm supposed to want an over the hill guy with recent drug problems. Do people think sobering him up will make that much of a difference? Do you think he'll be effective as a 4th liner at this point? It's the same thing with Heatley, they're over the hill, avoid that.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I like Whitney but he really fell off statistically last year. I'm not sure he's a better top 6 option than what we already have and I know that's saying a lot, but still. Father time catches up to everybody and it seems to have caught up to Whitney.

penguins2946*

I don't think Malone's skating is all that bad. It's not great but it could be worse. As far as Comeau or Megna go in a 4th role capacity, I'd definitely give Malone a shot at supplanting one of them. Neither of those guys are world beaters.

Comeau is a lot better than Malone, and while he would probably be more suited for a 4th line role than Megna, we could find much better options if we really wanted to bring in someone else for the 4th line.

I wouldn't assume JR likes Megna though. I like him, this board likes him, but he's still a pretty fringe guy and it's possibly JR doesn't see him on the team this year, especially in a 4th line role. He's more of a call up when injuries hit the top 6, imo.

In an ideal world where we would get another top-6 winger, that's exactly what Megna should be. However, it's not an ideal world. Malone being a lefty is nice, so we could run with Malone-Goc-Comeau with the lefties on LW and righties on RW, but that's about all that's enticing with Malone.

I like Whitney but he really fell off statistically last year. I'm not sure he's a better top 6 option than what we already have and I know that's saying a lot, but still. Father time catches up to everybody and it seems to have caught up to Whitney.

IIRC, he got pushed out of Dallas's top-6 last year, so that's why his production took a big hit.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I don't see why I'm supposed to want an over the hill guy with recent drug problems. Do people think sobering him up will make that much of a difference? Do you think he'll be effective as a 4th liner at this point? It's the same thing with Heatley, they're over the hill, avoid that.

No one is saying sign him to a one way deal or give him a lot of money. Some of us just aren't opposed to giving him a tryout. There's nothing to lose by doing that.

Heatley and Malone are very different players and people. I can picture Malone being serviceable as a 4th liner if he gets himself in shape. I just can't picture Heatley accepting that role or taking the money that role offers. Malone probably will have no choice but to take a tryout deal for dirt cheap.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Old, slow, unproductive for years, and now drug issues to boot and Penguins fans want to bring him back. It's Kevin Stevens all over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00