Salary Cap: Free Agency Part VI | Pens updates, roster ideas, proposals here | Cap space: $7.3M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
If I could trade them 1-1 I probably would. Not sure that Niemi is an upgrade, but I think both could use a change of scenery.

That said... not sure why SJ would do that, unless they thought that all MAF needed as a change of scenery.

Trade for Niemi with a pick and trade Fleury to Winnipeg to recover the pick. Bank 1.2 mil in cap space in the process. That all assumes there is a market for Fleury. I'd at least explore it.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Niemi for MAF is lateral move, but if we save over a million on the cap I think we should get it done. But I'm not sure where the Sharks motivation would be on this. Unless they really like MAF for some reason.

It's the very definition of a lateral move.

I still can't believe that people are suggesting Niemi.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

What other options are there? Does Niemi have a similar number of own goals? I personally think it's an upgrade. Fleury may have more talent, but his ability to lose games for a team is a back breaker. Niemi will make less ridiculous saves, but will score on himself significantly less.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Trade for Niemi with a pick and trade Fleury to Winnipeg to recover the pick. Bank 1.2 mil in cap space in the process. That all assumes there is a market for Fleury. I'd at least explore it.

Winnipeg isn't going to take MAF's 5m salary when they have 4m tied up in Pavelec. I don't know why people seem to think they will... it's a horrible thought process.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

He outperformed Fleury in 11-12 and 12-13 badly. If you actually watched the series this past season against the Kings, you'd see he didnt approach Fleury levels of garbage goaltending.

It's hilarious people are still unwilling to make even a lateral move to save some money under the cap and just move on from the playoff underachiever.

Michael8771*

The players our lateral but the salary isn't. I can see why the Pens may entertain the idea, not the sharks so much. But then again they might view him differently. SJ appears as if they're willing to deal him.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
He outperformed Fleury in 11-12 and 12-13 badly. If you actually watched the series this past season against the Kings, you'd see he didnt approach Fleury levels of garbage goaltending.

It's hilarious people are still unwilling to make even a lateral move to save some money under the cap and just move on from the playoff underachiever.

A lot of resistance here, nothing new. Most wanted to keep Shero, as well.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Winnipeg isn't going to take MAF's 5m salary when they have 4m tied up in Pavelec. I don't know why people seem to think they will... it's a horrible thought process.

Move him to Minnesota then. Explore the market.

Seeing as there's now video evidence of us shopping another roster player (most likely Sutter), I would hope JR's looking at replacing Fleury for cheaper.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
A lot of resistance here, nothing new. Most wanted to keep Shero, as well.

It's ridiculous. I'm not even the the guy leading the charge in moving Fleury. I'm just looking at the numbers. What's more likely? Finding a taker for Dupuis, Scuderi or Fleury? We have to move someone out if we want to upgrade the top 6.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Yeah you are likely right. It's about as horrible a thought process as someone giving up a 1st and a roster player for Reimer.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Seeing as there's now video evidence of us shopping another roster player (most likely Sutter), I would hope JR's looking at replacing Fleury for cheaper.

What is this video evidence? I must have missed it.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
As someone who long ago adopted the Sharks as my "Second" team, I get just as many chest pains watching Niemi as I do Fleury.

IF the salaries weren't so similar I'd entertain the idea if the difference in salary could be used to fill in other needs, but holy **** guys, please tell me we can do better.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
As someone who long ago adopted the Sharks as my "Second" team, I get just as many chest pains watching Niemi as I do Fleury.

IF the salaries weren't so similar I'd entertain the idea if the difference in salary could be used to fill in other needs, but holy **** guys, please tell me we can do better.

1.2 million could be the difference between being able to trade Martin+ for ROR and being able to sign him or not. Plus, his playoff stats are better. I'm not saying it can happen, but if San Jose would take Fleury for Niemi, I would definitely do it. We need all the cap space we can get.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

They have even more tied up in their goaltending - unless we're taking one of their guys in return. Edmonton might make sense if we're taking one of their guys back... but they seem content to try the tandom they have.

If we wanted to move MAF without taking salary back, it had to happen before FA started. Now that it has... odds are we're taking salary back.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
They have even more tied up in their goaltending - unless we're taking one of their guys in return. Edmonton might make sense if we're taking one of their guys back... but they seem content to try the tandom they have.

If we wanted to move MAF without taking salary back, it had to happen before FA started. Now that it has... odds are we're taking salary back.

I have no clue what Minnesota is doing with their goaltending. Harding can't be relied upon and Backstrom is just old. They'd have to clear one of them out for sure.

But I don't follow the logic in your second statement. Teams are gonna be investigating the trade market now that the big name free agent goalies are off the board. I doubt we have to take salary back. Just a lower pick than what we may want.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

I wouldn't call 1.2 mil similar. A team up against the cap needs every bit they can get.

Have to look at the big picture as well. We saved 750k on Neal to Hornqvist. Brought in a cost controlled third liner who can play all three forward positions. That saves you a few hundred k over a comparable player in free agency. We replaced Glass with a better player for cheaper in Comeau. Another 400k from his salary last year. Replacing Sutter with Goc saves at least 2 mil.

Add that up and you're able to bring in a legitimate top 6 winger for Crosby.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I have no clue what Minnesota is doing with their goaltending. Harding can't be relied upon and Backstrom is just old. They'd have to clear one of them out for sure.

But I don't follow the logic in your second statement.
Teams are gonna be investigating the trade market now that the big name free agent goalies are off the board. I doubt we have to take salary back. Just a lower pick than what we may want.

It should be a fairly simple concept to understand. Those teams looking to upgrade their goaltending who might have been willing to take MAF without sending salary back in return did so in FA (Calgary, NYI, Van). Those left looking to upgrade their goaltending (SJ, CAR, WPG, etc) are not going to be taking a 5m contract without sending some salary back - almost certainly in the form of a goalie. Which then (other than SJ) defeats the purpose of what you're looking to do.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
It should be a fairly simple concept to understand. Those teams looking to upgrade their goaltending who might have been willing to take MAF without sending salary back in return did so in FA (Calgary, NYI, Van). Those left looking to upgrade their goaltending (SJ, CAR, WPG, etc) are not going to be taking a 5m contract without sending some salary back - almost certainly in the form of a goalie. Which then (other than SJ) defeats the purpose of what you're looking to do.

Fair enough.

I don't think you can make a blanket statement like that. We don't know what other GMs plans are. I do know that Fleury is a great regular season goalie. And there are plenty of teams out there that are just looking to make the playoffs. Maybe we take one of their goalies back? Who knows.

Point is. If a deal comes up where we can even make a lateral move in goaltending and save money under the cap, it should be investigated.

FanaticalFan

Jun 14, 2002
Visit site
I was looking a thread were blackhawk fans were debating trading Bryan Bickell and I was thinking that the pens should offer Brandon Sutter for Bickell. It wouldn't give them a lot of cap space but a million or so, and it would only cost us cost us a million or so more than resigning Sutter. He is not known for his regular season stats but we don't need a lot of regular season players we need playoff warriors, He could do a lot of what malone did for us a few years ago

I also saw a thread saying it looks like Kebin Hayes is going to be a FA on aug 15 I don't know much about him but he could he be a top 6 winger for us, and not cost us a huge cap hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad