GDT: Free Agency III - Continues.....

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Do we really need him - I don't think if the Leafs are even pursuing him

We have 8 D now. We are good. Good in the sense that I don't think Russell is greater than our current squad.
If we are getting another D it's because it's a clear cut head and shoulders top 4 (hopefully a RHD partner for Rielly) above the rest.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
General Fanager
‏@generalfanager
Roman Polak (#Leafs)
1 yr @ $2.25M

$2.25 is a good deal to me - people are making fuss for nothing

General Fanager ‏@generalfanager 9m9 minutes ago
With Polak, #Leafs are an est. $594,084 over the cap (13F/7D/2G) but have flexibility with potential LTIR options.

Cowen and Lupul are headed for Robidas island which would give then about 6M in cap space. Enough to sign one more UFA.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Cowen and Lupul are headed for Robidas island which would give then about 6M in cap space. Enough to sign one more UFA.

It worked for Robidas because he basically agreed with the decision. He could have fought it, found doctors to declare him healthy, and they'd be on the hook for his salary.

Do you think much younger guys are basically going to just give up playing, and not put up a fight?

There's a difference between being healthy enough to play well and being healthy enough to physically play. There's no out clause in contracts because players decline.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I didn't like the Polak signing, even less than the Martin one, but anyone worried about the salary cap of this team isn't putting their energy in the right place at all.

gravyface

Jun 22, 2010
It worked for Robidas because he basically agreed with the decision. He could have fought it, found doctors to declare him healthy, and they'd be on the hook for his salary.

Do you think much younger guys are basically going to just give up playing, and not put up a fight?

There's a difference between being healthy enough to play well and being healthy enough to physically play. There's no out clause in contracts because players decline.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if Lupul choose to go to Robidas Island, we have cap relief this year, but we can't list him as an unprotected forward due to the number of games played he'll be lacking in 2016/17.

Not that he'd be picked up: I think Bozak's way more attractive as a pickup than Lupul, but perhaps Bozak gets moved at this year's TDL.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I didn't like the Polak signing, even less than the Martin one, but anyone worried about the salary cap of this team isn't putting their energy in the right place at all.

We have like a bazillion dollars to spend next summer

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
We have like a bazillion dollars to spend next summer

We do have very limited funds right now but I'm sure there is all ready a plan in place that will give us plenty of wiggle room, whether it's counting on LTIR or perhaps a Cowen buyout (if they still can?? not much information if the appeal process will allow them to do so).

I'm hoping they actually can find somone to take on Michalek and/or Bernier. If you can cut that ~8M cap hit in half, we're golden for this season.

As you said, next year we'll be swimming in cap space.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
Visit site

It's a real tough sell for Cowen to convince people his hip is healthy and Lupul had sports hernia surgery that is often a career ender. Not to mention his wonky back.

Even if they convince people they're healthy the leafs will just buy them out.

So it's either LTIR or a buy out and LTIR is better for the player.

Mad Brills*

People need to realize that lupul isn't going away completely.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
People need to realize that lupul isn't going away completely.

Based on what Jimmy Vesey said the other day his decision to sign may in part be based on the leafs LW roster position.

Starting the season with a broken Lupul could mean losing out on a prospect. We know Lou isn't including him in any long term plans.

LTIR means he gets paid to sit at home and the team gets some cap relief. It's a win-win.

Cowen is a truly bizarre situation because he's now claiming that even though he was declared healthy by the Senators he went ahead on his own with off-season hip surgery and is now disabled. Injured/Disabled players cannot be bought out so in the case of Cowen he's demanding LTIR for the duration of his contract.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Based on what Jimmy Vesey said the other day his decision to sign may in part be based on the leafs LW roster position.

Starting the season with a broken Lupul could mean losing out on a prospect. We know Lou isn't including him in any long term plans.

LTIR means he gets paid to sit at home and the team gets some cap relief. It's a win-win.

Cowen is a truly bizarre situation because he's now claiming that even though he was declared healthy by the Senators he went ahead on his own with off-season hip surgery and is now disabled. Injured/Disabled players cannot be bought out so in the case of Cowen he's demanding LTIR for the duration of his contract.

I am surprised I haven't seen that any where, do you happen to have a link?

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I am surprised I haven't seen that any where, do you happen to have a link?

Here's the link

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/bruins/2016/07/02/jimmy-vesey-mulling-his-nhl-future/d0xIzgGvkAJD4kBOoI4dgK/story.html?

“Obviously, on Friday, all the big names are going to go off the board,’’ Vesey said as the weekend approached, noting how Day 1 of NHL free agency ultimately could influence where he’ll sign his first pro contract. “Then I can really sit back and start looking at roster depth charts.’’

“I have a couple of teams in mind, but my dad’s said he is going to let me make the decision,’’ said Vesey. “I think that’s fair. I am 23 years old at this point, so I am a man on my own and . . . I think I’d like to be in the Northeast a little bit."

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
The more the shock wears off and the more I read about these players, the more I start to think that this year's draft may have been legendary. I'll emphasize the word "may" because it's so early, but, man, I like what I'm seeing, reading and hearing. Mathews, Walker, Korshkov, Brooks, Woll, Bobby Lev........:yo:

Legendary is a bit of a stretch. It was a relatively thin draft beyond the top 20, however I like the fact the the leafs didn't play it safe and instead went for upside potential. Like last year I have them ranked right near the top in draft performance.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Here's the link

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/bruins/2016/07/02/jimmy-vesey-mulling-his-nhl-future/d0xIzgGvkAJD4kBOoI4dgK/story.html?

“Obviously, on Friday, all the big names are going to go off the board,’’ Vesey said as the weekend approached, noting how Day 1 of NHL free agency ultimately could influence where he’ll sign his first pro contract. “Then I can really sit back and start looking at roster depth charts.’’

“I have a couple of teams in mind, but my dad’s said he is going to let me make the decision,’’ said Vesey. “I think that’s fair. I am 23 years old at this point, so I am a man on my own and . . . I think I’d like to be in the Northeast a little bit."
Sadly Boston is in the northeast. Yes they are more stacked than us but imo it still leaves the decision blurry.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris 53s54 seconds ago
Auston Matthews has No. 63 at #leafs development camp.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Here's the link

Thanks

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Sadly Boston is in the northeast. Yes they are more stacked than us but imo it still leaves the decision blurry.

His comment about depth is interesting. If he's looking at playing time, Boston is definitely behind the 8 ball in offering him that. He's got Marchand and Beleskey as top 6 LWers to fight for time, and that's assuming that Pasta is put on the right wing since he can shoot right (even though he's played at LW).

I still think it's likely he goes to Boston. He's never really left the area so I doubt he's going to make a big change now.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
It's a real tough sell for Cowen to convince people his hip is healthy and Lupul had sports hernia surgery that is often a career ender. Not to mention his wonky back.

Even if they convince people they're healthy the leafs will just buy them out.

So it's either LTIR or a buy out and LTIR is better for the player.

As I said, there's a big difference between being healthy enough to play well and simply being healthy enough to play.

I don't see both of them jut accepting the Robidas treatment.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
It's weird we got the useless rib crusher Polak for just 2.25m and MM is essentially the same deal @2.5mx4... How the.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad