Free Agency - Gm's Get Ready To Respond!!!!

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
QFT. While there are a lot of UDFAs available, I don't see many with the upside of a Bozak or Gustavsson this summer. It's mostly about filling out the AHL roster and hoping you get lucky with the development of a dark horse or two.

I agree that there's no Euro that has quite the hype/talent of "The Monster", but outside of the lack of that one headline player, I think it's as solid a Euro class as any.

As for the College UFAs, I think that Bozak/Hanson/Gilroy benefitted a bit in the hype department because they came out in so-so crops. I also think you're starting to see more underclassmen leave early, in part due to better development in the USHL and Canadian Junior A leagues.

Of course, having submitted a ton of bids, I'm biased. In all likelihood, I wasted my time, will only win 1-2 bids, with none ever amounting to anything. ;-)

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
QFT. While there are a lot of UDFAs available, I don't see many with the upside of a Bozak or Gustavsson this summer. It's mostly about filling out the AHL roster and hoping you get lucky with the development of a dark horse or two.

I pretty much agree, I found the number of guys that have a reasonable shot was higher this year but the number of guys with high upside and/or high probability of making it in the pros to be significantly lower.

In addition to Bozak and Gustafsson there was Gilroy & Stalberg plus some others that are looking good like Oberg, Thiessen, etc. ... of course none of the lottery balls fell my way on those guys as usual :(

That said a team needs bottom 6 & 3rd pairing guys too so bring them on.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
I agree that there's no Euro that has quite the hype/talent of "The Monster", but outside of the lack of that one headline player, I think it's as solid a Euro class as any.

As for the College UFAs, I think that Bozak/Hanson/Gilroy benefitted a bit in the hype department because they came out in so-so crops. I also think you're starting to see more underclassmen leave early, in part due to better development in the USHL and Canadian Junior A leagues.

Of course, having submitted a ton of bids, I'm biased. In all likelihood, I wasted my time, will only win 1-2 bids, with none ever amounting to anything. ;-)

That's exactly what I did, and what I am expecting also. And don't get me wrong, I think there are a number of guys who should make capable NHLers, but I'm not convinced of the upside.

And Matthew - a blonde prize girl will be very well received - my son's a sucker for blondes, it seems.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site

I agree on the college UFAs. I think the quality is definitely there, and I think the scouting of these draft-ineligible guys has really cranked up.

I think the use of the summer development camps is encouraging teams to develop relationships with these players too and work to get them interested. I know Hunter Bishop said he got a few offers last summer after the development camp season, but decided to be patient.

Teams are working hard to land these guys. Playing with the contracts to get one-way deals (eg. MacIntyre this year), getting way more into NHL games right away as well. It's an interesting trend to see.

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
It's funny you mention Bishop, Sean, because I think he was one of the few people I didn't bid on. I watched him a bit at both OSU and in the playoffs with Hamilton and just wasn't sold. That said, your point about the development camps is a great one. Especially in the age of the combine, it gives under-the-radar players a chance for second and third looks.

Fan.At

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2002
HFNHL Preds
:thumbu:

I'm tired of seeing "VAN" next to my guys as well.

You're welcome. Though now I know why I've never volunteered for doing the RFA/UFA FA's before (and never will again. ugh)

Dating scene is great. Pretty fun. Prize Girl Huh... - Done (Hey Tony- do you think it should be Jenilee??)

jenilee yes. just for fun though :naughty:

Dryden

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Take your time guys. No need to repeat last year and lose another quality GM. I might quit if that damn Sean K gets all the good UDFA's again

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
It's funny you mention Bishop, Sean, because I think he was one of the few people I didn't bid on. I watched him a bit at both OSU and in the playoffs with Hamilton and just wasn't sold. That said, your point about the development camps is a great one. Especially in the age of the combine, it gives under-the-radar players a chance for second and third looks.

Interesting. I don't know much about Bishop, although I did bid on him. In a roll of the dice situation, you just gotta trust the NHL teams' scouts to some extent.

The other reason why I think the quality of college free agents has gone up is really because of the improved quality of the US development system. Not just the USNDP, but the fact more talent is coming out of the US is having a big impact I think.

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007

I hear you, sometimes the conflict between what you've seen from a player in person and the scouting type commentaries seem totally out of sync. Gudbranson was the highest profile example of that sort of discrepancy in this past draft.
I was one that did submit an offer for Bishop but also did not see him play in person so you could very well be right.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Hey guys, is there any timetable on when we'll hear about our first wave of signings or when the lottery will be?

No timetable but I will say we've (i.e. Jeff) has made tremendous progress and we are quite far along. This is the first time both of us have done this, so we're being methodical and careful and a couple days extra will be worth it.

The lottery will happen next week - I'm not sure when exactly it will be, my schedule is a bit up in the air still and we're still working through the 79 UDFA's.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
No timetable but I will say we've (i.e. Jeff) has made tremendous progress and we are quite far along. This is the first time both of us have done this, so we're being methodical and careful and a couple days extra will be worth it.

The lottery will happen next week - I'm not sure when exactly it will be, my schedule is a bit up in the air still and we're still working through the 79 UDFA's.

Awesome, guys. The work is very much appreciated.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Update

UPDATE:

Thanks to GM's for their quick responses to our emails.

We have now completed all our calculations however we are now conducting an audit before we publish the results. Thanks for your patience. You may have the results as soon as tonight or early tomorrow.

Tampa GM

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site
UPDATE:

Thanks to GM's for their quick responses to our emails.

We have now completed all our calculations however we are now conducting an audit before we publish the results. Thanks for your patience. You may have the results as soon as tonight or early tomorrow.

Thank you for a good job Matthew. Looking forward for the result later on this weekend.

Ps. Did I win the Zuccarello lottery :)?

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
Thank you for a good job Matthew. Looking forward for the result later on this weekend.

Ps. Did I win the Zuccarello lottery :)?

Lotteries haven't happened yet, and won't until next week sometime. Hopefully we'll be able to announce who is involved in what lotteries soon though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad