FREE AGENCY FRENZY: Around the NHL Moves/Signings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
People also seem to forget that teams like the Islanders have cap space to burn. They may even need to overpay a bit to help hit the cap floor. I don't think the Clutter deal is ridiculous overpayment anyway.

I think it's a mixture of both having cap space and convincing them to wanting to play in Long Island. So in other to attract some guys they need to overpay

But like you mentioned the deal isn't bad at all

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
wow. that Perron trade. my initial reaction is that the Blues didn't get a whole lot for a very creative and talented player. IMHO, MPS is little more than a speedy third-liner...

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
wow. that Perron trade. my initial reaction is that the Blues didn't get a whole lot for a very creative and talented player. to me, MPS is little more than a speedy third-liner with potential.

yea, I'm sorta miffed that that's all EDM gave up. For a player of Perron's caliber and cap hit, I really feel like the Pens could have found a way to make his contract work (you trade Niskanen and Jokinen for a guy like Perron, imo)

(and I don't mean you trade them FOR Perron, you open up the cap space for Perron by trading those unnecessary pieces).

This is the first move that's actually irked me (that I feel the Pens have missed out on)

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
Took me by surprise, too. Maybe the Blues are low on Perron or he wanted out for some reason. Whether it's good or not all depends on how MPS develops but in the short term that's a nice pick up for the Oilers.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
That's a Cap move, plain and simple. 3.8M off the books, 1.5M on the books. Net gain 2.3M. Just enough to take Niskanen off our hands. :rolleyes:

EDM wins by the "best player in the deal" theory for now. This is the reason why they're not going to trade with us most likely (because they'd be adding back the salary they're trying to shed). And again this idea that "If team A only gives up prospect + 2nd, that's all anyone would have to give" is not right. Different situation with each team that inquires.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
That's a Cap move, plain and simple. 3.8M off the books, 1.5M on the books. Net gain 2.3M. Just enough to take Niskanen off our hands. :rolleyes:

EDM wins by the "best player in the deal" theory for now. This is the reason why they're not going to trade with us most likely (because they'd be adding back the salary they're trying to shed). And again this idea that "If team A only gives up prospect + 2nd, that's all anyone would have to give" is not right. Different situation with each team that inquires.

I'm kind of wondering what young forward the Pens have that people think is comparable to MPS that we would've wanted to trade for Perron.

stefanh

Aug 13, 2006
Gothenburg
If it was just about money for the blues why do you chose to sign Derek Roy for $4M so that you have to trade Perron...

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
yea, I'm sorta miffed that that's all EDM gave up. For a player of Perron's caliber and cap hit, I really feel like the Pens could have found a way to make his contract work (you trade Niskanen and Jokinen for a guy like Perron, imo)

(and I don't mean you trade them FOR Perron, you open up the cap space for Perron by trading those unnecessary pieces).

This is the first move that's actually irked me (that I feel the Pens have missed out on)

what would be our comparable offer? The only young forward we have is Bennett. No thanks.

Is PRV+2nd worth more than a 1st? I don't think it is, but my value of PRV might be off.

I think it's off. At least our first isn't worth that much.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
what would be our comparable offer? The only young forward we have is Bennett. No thanks.

I think it's off.

as I said above, I wouldn't offer a player (unless they wanted a defenseman), I would just try a 1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad