GDT: Free Agency / Fantasy GM Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
would corey perry be a fit for this team? 1 yr 700k? veteran presence. thats IF vancouver ships out money of course.
I’d honestly be fine with Perry and rotate him and Jake based on who’s playing better every few weeks. And if it’s at that price we wouldn’t even need to move out money since even if he got buried his full cap hit goes along with it. These are the types of moves we should be making regardless of moving money as long as Aqua will open the cheque book

Reactions: brock hughes007

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
would corey perry be a fit for this team? 1 yr 700k? veteran presence. thats IF vancouver ships out money of course.

I don't think you can be looking at adding more forwards without taking care of what we already have. Once Gaudette and Virtanen are signed Vancouver will have 15 pro roster forwards to deal with. This includes Baerstchi who was demoted last season and Ferland who should be on the IR, but still there really isn't a lot of room to add another pro contract here.

Reactions: Bleach Clean

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Did his minutes lessen? Felt like he and Motte were playing every 2nd shift. Even my wife was complaining and she was mostly on her phone.

It always felt like that because they'd get trapped on their shifts out there.

Beagle's ice-time didn't change much in the playoffs, but his offensive-zone start percentage went from like 23% in the regular season to 60% in the bubble. Those are pumping-Cody-Hodgson's-offensive-numbers levels of sheltering.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
It always felt like that because they'd get trapped on their shifts out there.

Beagle's ice-time didn't change much in the playoffs, but his offensive-zone start percentage went from like 23% in the regular season to 60% in the bubble. Those are pumping-Cody-Hodgson's-offensive-numbers levels of sheltering.
I think he also got every shift after a goal and every period start too. It was crazy just always out there.

Nazzlind

Sep 9, 2010
Lower Mainland
I don't think you can be looking at adding more forwards without taking care of what we already have. Once Gaudette and Virtanen are signed Vancouver will have 15 pro roster forwards to deal with. This includes Baerstchi who was demoted last season and Ferland who should be on the IR, but still there really isn't a lot of room to add another pro contract here.
also need to save a slot for Podkolzin lol

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
That being said Beagle by all accounts is a huge team guy, never takes a shift off, is clearly beloved in all the post-game videos the Canucks post. He's not an ego-inflated dipshit like Gudbranson telling players better than him to grow some balls.

Wasn't that Sutter calling out Goldobin after the latter scored two goals in a game or something like that?

The problem with Beagle is his cap hit, and how his "leadership" quality is used universally to cover up how bad the player himself is.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Wasn't that Sutter calling out Goldobin after the latter scored two goals in a game or something like that?

The problem with Beagle is his cap hit, and how his "leadership" quality is used universally to cover up how bad the player himself is.

You're right...Gudbranson did have some similar condescending-as-hell quote about Hutton though.

Reactions: timw33

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
I’m not sure why people want Granlund or Hamonic. Harmonic has bailed on his team more than once, prob won’t even play and Granlund cannot play under pressure, haven’t we learned from the other Granlund ?

Once upon a time, Granlund and Tarasenko were the best prospects in all hockey. Granlund has never delivered. He put up good points when his team sucks and he gets ice time but otherwise is pretty Invisible if relied upon.

Reactions: Steamer

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Thing is with Sundin, is that he wasn't an actual good player when we got him (and what if he decided to go for the full two years..?..would that have hamstrung the team back then?).....Two things: Benning gave an extra year on most of the current crap contracts,which I'm sure he would like back,.... and the emergence of Hughes and EP as a force ,was likely quicker than they thought.

PPG in the playoffs and mentoring Kesler (his words) aren't considered 'good'? How would his two year contract, at the time, hamstrung the team? To support this claim, provide examples of players they wouldn't have been able to sign based on the cap at the time - I can check your math.

In the past, you've said there's no use complaining about a scenario that didn't actually happen (Benning wanting to sign both Lucic and Eriksson in the same off season). How come you're doing it now with Sundin being offered a two year contract, even though he didn't take it? Chalk it up to selective reasoning?

This year is affected, there will be more flexibility next year, ...Hell.,before last season started, more people on HF Canucks had them missing the playoffs (60-40) than making it...

Short term, next season is a bit of a sidestep..Long term, It looks good.

Depending on how they handle the Pettersson/Hughes extensions, and how Edler holds up (either re-signs for cheap based on regression, or is replaced by a cheaper/younger player - that's a big question mark in the top 4). They also need to keep an eye out on re-signing Boeser the year after and Miller/Horvat the summer after that, so they can't sign too many players with term. I would say the long-term looks good as well, but our GM has never shown an ability to effectively plan long-term.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Would love for Benning to steal another potential gem in Vince Dunn. Still just 23 and has potential to be a very good 25-35 point defenseman.
It would be nice to dish off some salary, to have a chance to trade for and sign a good player like Dunn.

After watching him in the playoff I have zero interest in Dunn.

Reactions: Lupuls Grit

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
PPG in the playoffs and mentoring Kesler (his words) aren't considered 'good'? How would his two year contract, at the time, hamstrung the team? To support this claim, provide examples of players they wouldn't have been able to sign based on the cap at the time - I can check your math.

In the past, you've said there's no use complaining about a scenario that didn't actually happen (Benning wanting to sign both Lucic and Eriksson in the same off season). How come you're doing it now with Sundin being offered a two year contract, even though he didn't take it? Chalk it up to selective reasoning?

He was decent in the playoffs, but when you add up the season, and the entirety..not so much...They didnt really need him after that season...I have no doubt that Kesler got some good mentoring by Sundin.

I didnt claim that an extra Sundin season would have hamstrung the team..I asked the question..would it? ..(read again)

"Like it or not, Sundin showed only glimpses of his former Leaf self, thus not really helping the Canucks as much as he could have, especially for the salary he earned. A mistake? Yes probably, hindsight is always 20/20. But if Sundin contributed at the pace he did in Toronto, we’d all be singing a different tune. But the soap opera unfolded the way it did, and we can all say that for the most part it is a poor grade marked on the report card for both Sundin and Gillis on this one. The lesson here in signing players after training camp will probably be more loudly heard by the rest of the league than just here in Vancouver."..Vancouver Province.2012..

Oh, So THAT'S How You Regard The Mats Sundin Canucks Era | The Province

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Why are we talking about Hoffman???

Apparently, Drance strongly hints that Hoffman has allowed the Canucks some time to clear cap space. He wants to sign here.

If Benning felt that confident about clearing space, why didn't he just re-sign Toffoli?

-------------------------------------

Also on the main boards is this gem from the Athletic:

Gary Mason: I have heard from multiple sources that the sides had agreed on a draft pick and a contract coming back to Arizona, but they never could agree on the prospect. I think the Coyotes wanted either Thatcher Demko, Vasili Podkolzin or Nils Höglander and the Canucks kept saying no. I have also heard that the Vancouver offer was a first-round pick, a second-round pick, Jake Virtanen and Brandon Sutter.

Essentially, a 1st and Virtanen to take on that bloated OEL contract... Crazy.

Benning is saved from himself here.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I don't often get into the off-ice stuff when considering players but the drama between Hoffman and Karlsson's wives was nasty. Not really a fan of bringing that to this group.

Reactions: ugghhh and Tv9924

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
Would love for Benning to steal another potential gem in Vince Dunn. Still just 23 and has potential to be a very good 25-35 point defenseman.
It would be nice to dish off some salary, to have a chance to trade for and sign a good player like Dunn.
Did you watch him in the playoffs??? He was brutal. If we are going to be committing future cap to a young D-man, I would rather it not be him.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Did you watch him in the playoffs??? He was brutal. If we are going to be committing future cap to a young D-man, I would rather it not be him.
We don’t usually evaluate the first 6 games of the season that strongly it doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to evaluate the first 6 games after a longer pause than a usual offseason.

Dunn is not the type of player the team needs but i feel people are placing too much weight to these games.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Apparently, Drance strongly hints that Hoffman has allowed the Canucks some time to clear cap space. He wants to sign here.

If Benning felt that confident about clearing space, why didn't he just re-sign Toffoli?

-------------------------------------

Also on the main boards is this gem from the Athletic:

Gary Mason: I have heard from multiple sources that the sides had agreed on a draft pick and a contract coming back to Arizona, but they never could agree on the prospect. I think the Coyotes wanted either Thatcher Demko, Vasili Podkolzin or Nils Höglander and the Canucks kept saying no. I have also heard that the Vancouver offer was a first-round pick, a second-round pick, Jake Virtanen and Brandon Sutter.

Essentially, a 1st and Virtanen to take on that bloated OEL contract... Crazy.

Benning is saved from himself here.
That is horrific.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I don't often get into the off-ice stuff when considering players but the drama between Hoffman and Karlsson's wives was nasty. Not really a fan of bringing that to this group.

Yeah, kind of how I feel. The whole thing is kind of shrouded in mystery, and it wasn’t Hoffman that did anything wrong, but damn, was that story messed up and a potential incendiary device to introduce into a team dynamic.

Reactions: ugghhh

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
That would have been a crippling trade. The anchor of a contract and no picks in rounds 1 or 2 again. Thank god Arizona said no. Also Benning is still a moron, he’s just a very lucky moron.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Cody Ceci just got 1 year $1.25MM from Pitsburgh.
Another potential FA d-man off the list. A one year-deal for $1.25m seems like a reasonable deal to me for a right-shot depth d-man like Ceci. But then I thought Stecher at $1.7m would have been a bargain as well. So go figure.

If Jimbo is intent on adding another depth d-man, my guess it comes via another trade rather than the dwindling UFA list.

Reactions: David71

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
You're right...Gudbranson did have some similar condescending-as-hell quote about Hutton though.

Gudbranson was the "he has to play 200 games in the league to find his game..." or something like that. (Referring to Hutton.)

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I thought Luca Sbisa was bad. But then we got Erik Gudbranson, who was worse.

Then we got Jay Beagle...and Gudbranson was still worse.

Excepting Mark Messier’s putrid, lazy, soulless performance in Vancouver, Erik Gudbranson is probably the worst player I have watched try to play hockey for the Vancouver Canucks since I started following them in 1990.

The bolded is sorta what makes it so bad? Like, I agree that Beagle isn't lazy. Definitely not "soulless." But like the fact that he is putting in so much effort and is so completely ineffective is part of why I said that. Like he just can't make a play to save his life, even if he looks like he is playing for his life. I really don't see what tf anyone sees in him as a player to be honest. OK, he can win a faceoff. But what good is it to win a faceoff if you immediately lose possession and get hemmed in your own end until Markstrom freezes it again. Remember Beagle and Ferland to open the season last year? That was like the worst 4 line we have ever had, and we have had fourth lines that were just random AHL players picked up off waivers the same day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad