GDT: Free Agency / Fantasy GM Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nazzlind

Sep 9, 2010
Lower Mainland
So if we settle with Virtanen before arbitration, we can still trade him, but if he goes to arbitration, we can't trade him for a year, right?

Reactions: rypper

canucksfan100

Apr 3, 2007
Might be a dumb question but couldn't Benning theoretically bury 2-3 players to gain an extra 2-3? Here's looking at Jordie Benn, Sven Baertschi and Jay Beagle. Opens up more than enough to resign Gaudette after Virtanen.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Might be a dumb question but couldn't Benning theoretically bury 2-3 players to gain an extra 2-3? Here's looking at Jordie Benn, Sven Baertschi and Jay Beagle. Opens up more than enough to resign Gaudette after Virtanen.
Burying them save you just over $1m each, but you have to replace them on the NHL roster (unless you go with less than a 23 men roster, which doesn't seem smart in a condensed schedule). Assuming each of the replacement earn league min, you are looking at barely $1m in total saving. Anything more than league min replacement and you basically come out with no cap saving.

Reactions: ugghhh

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Definitely possible, but will our owner go along with that kind of extra money being spent on guys who are in the minors?

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
The only dumb question is the one you DONT ask

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I could see this or they're still using Jake as a trade chip.

I believe the 48 hour window opens up on the third day, after the team's arbitration is concluded, settled, or if it doesn't make it to a hearing.

The buyout candidate must have a minimum 4M CAP hit.
I’m so confused. Do these “buy out” windows vary for each team depending on when they sign a guy who was headed for arbitration? :help:

Nazzlind

Sep 9, 2010
Lower Mainland
If using the buyout is their last resort to dump salary, then they have until the 28th to announce the Virtanen trade lol

Could be a long wait

Nazzlind

Sep 9, 2010
Lower Mainland
I don't think that's true for player-elected arbitration. That might be true for club-elected.
I think I'm just lumping in arbitration rules with offer sheet rules lol

I don't think there's any restrictions for trading a player after arbitration, regardless who elected it

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
GDT: - Free Agent Frenzy / Fantasy GM - Part 5

hey @Waveburner, so to answer this post above, let me start by asking, do i perhaps know you? because i am wondering why so many of your recent infrequent posts are taking shots at me.

anyway, to respond to your latest salvo, i will link and juxtapose your second to most recent post from 4 days ago that also seems focussed on me for some reason:

Management Thread. The Good The Bad and The Ugly: Gun Slinger Edition.

not sure why i live in your head, but to recap:

on tuesday you specifically mocked me when i asked whether people thought that beagle as a former teammate might have had something to do with attracting holtby and schmidt and whether such things have value. in other words, you found the very idea that could have happened so laughable you needed to make one of your quite rare posts here to mock the idea.

yet today you find it so unquestionable that geriatric sundin gliding around gm place for $5 million for half a season sprinkled some kind of magic pixie dust on a canucks team led by the 28 year old sedins as they completed the fourth consecutive 70 point plus season and 6th playoffs, that you can mock me again,

you also accused me of being "mr intangible" here on hfboards, which i find kind of amusing, but i digress.

anyway, how about you reconcile your own ludicrously inconsistent positions before you call me out for being inconsistent? which is it, are intangible discussions too ridiculous to even speculate above, or are they so certain that you can mock people for questioning them? does it perhaps just depend on whether you dislike the poster?

go ahead and answer and explain and then i'll gladly respond to both your salty posts.

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
I would rather have Toffoli at 4.5x4 than Hoffman for whatever he will sign for, especially if it means losing Jake (not that losing Jake is a big deal; I just don't know that Hoffman is what we need)

Reactions: Luckylarry

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
GDT: - Free Agent Frenzy / Fantasy GM - Part 5

hey @Waveburner, so to answer this post above, let me start by asking, do i perhaps know you? because i am wondering why so many of your recent infrequent posts are taking shots at me.

anyway, to respond to your latest salvo, i will link and juxtapose your second to most recent post from 4 days ago that also seems focussed on me for some reason:

Management Thread. The Good The Bad and The Ugly: Gun Slinger Edition.

not sure why i live in your head, but to recap:

on tuesday you specifically mocked me when i asked whether people thought that beagle as a former teammate might have had something to do with attracting holtby and schmidt and whether such things have value. in other words, you found the very idea that could have happened so laughable you needed to make one of your quite rare posts here to mock the idea.

yet today you find it so unquestionable that geriatric sundin gliding around gm place for $5 million for half a season sprinkled some kind of magic pixie dust on a canucks team led by the 28 year old sedins as they completed the fourth consecutive 70 point plus season and 6th playoffs, that you can mock me again,

you also accused me of being "mr intangible" here on hfboards, which i find kind of amusing, but i digress.

anyway, how about you reconcile your own ludicrously inconsistent positions before you call me out for being inconsistent? which is it, are intangible discussions too ridiculous to even speculate above, or are they so certain that you can mock people for questioning them? does it perhaps just depend on whether you dislike the poster?

go ahead and answer and explain and then i'll gladly respond to both your salty posts.

Theres an extreme difference between signing awful players on long contracts for big numbers rather than signing a HOF'er for 1 year deal with cap space available.

One does not hamstring the team for the foreseeable future and even if it fails, the only thing you lose is money. The other ties your hands for years and years, while losing money, while also losing the opportunity to have actual players that can play the position in their place.

If you think the above are the same, then I am really unsure what to tell to be honest. It's pretty cut and dry.

And sure, you can assert that Beagle helped the guys sign here. There is no evidence or even smoke to point to that. Wanna know a cool fact? We probably didn't have to lose our Vezina level goaltender if Jimbo didn't sign so many awful contracts in the first place.

Last edited:

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Theres an extreme difference between signing awful players on long contracts for big numbers rather than signing a HOF'er for 1 year deal with cap space available.

One does not hamstring the team for the foreseeable future and even if it fails, the only thing you lose is money. The other ties your hands for years and years, while losing money, while also losing the opportunity to have actual players that can play the position in their place.

If you think the above are the same, then I am really unsure what to tell to be honest. It's pretty cut and dry.

And sure, you can assert that Beagle helped the guys sign here. There is no evidence or even smoke to point to that. Wanna know a cool fact? We probably didn't have to lose our Vezina level goaltender if Jimbo didn't sign so many awful contracts in the first place.
Would we have given Markstrom more term and an NTC then?

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
Would we have given Markstrom more term and an NTC then?

No idea. Maybe? Maybe not? Maybe Jimbo would have given him that 6x6 with NTC. Maybe he would, but we would also have a way better team to be able to build around and actually push into playoffs perhaps, rather than sacrifice the upcoming years for the past' sins.

But even you PoM have to admit that there is a stark contrast between a 1 year deal for an actual good player thats old, compared to our millions of trash in our bottom 6 that is literally hamstringing us from being able to sign good FA's and even make good hockey trades.

Reactions: vanuck and rypper

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
I would rather have Toffoli at 4.5x4 than Hoffman for whatever he will sign for, especially if it means losing Jake (not that losing Jake is a big deal; I just don't know that Hoffman is what we need)

Same. We really don't need more one-dimensional players.

Reactions: Luckylarry

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Hoffman would have to play on the top line or bust. He’d get eaten alive considering the Horvat lines deployment.

Hoffman-Pettersson-Boeser
Miller-Horvat-Pearson

Reactions: Lupuls Grit
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad