Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Keep jojo and resign him once that's an option. He'll come in at a cheap number and outperform it.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Sens need to replace his speed or close to it. Hard to say that JM would give him a ringing endorsement for the time he was behind the bench.
I do not know the breakdown of his line mates and usage 1st half compared to 2nd half. He certainly started the year on fire... probably punched above his weight in terms of production. He has elements of his game the Sens would miss depending on who his replacement would be. I never thought he was the smartest player on the ice but his speed can be disruptive even with little physicality and he was good on the PK for the most part.

View attachment 872311
The production drop off is crazy.

Reactions: aragorn

Senovision

May 23, 2011
Sens need to replace his speed or close to it. Hard to say that JM would give him a ringing endorsement for the time he was behind the bench.
I do not know the breakdown of his line mates and usage 1st half compared to 2nd half. He certainly started the year on fire... probably punched above his weight in terms of production. He has elements of his game the Sens would miss depending on who his replacement would be. I never thought he was the smartest player on the ice but his speed can be disruptive even with little physicality and he was good on the PK for the most part.

View attachment 872311
Looks like he went to sleep in the second half of the year. He has one of the lower shooting percentages amongst our forwards.

Reactions: Icelevel

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison

These kind of takes are silly. Even if it is unintentional, it frames it like Necas and Pesce will show up at the CTC with their hat in hand asking for work, and Staios might go "I'm not sure if we need good hockey players for free from free agency, sorry guys."

Assuming we sign any tippy top UFA where there isn't an angle is not realistic. Giroux came here because of his ties to the area. Dadonov and Tarasenko came here because we overpaid in a flat cap.

We might get someone like Tanev by giving them a risky contract that no other team will match because he is 34 and historically anything more than a 1-2 year deal for a defenseman at that age is risky so most teams probably won't go there. With Pesce, he will have his choice of suitors.

Looks like he went to sleep in the second half of the year. He has one of the lower shooting percentages amongst our forwards.

Being cast in that car commercial must have got to his head. He's like the most famous guy in Quebec now.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I wouldn't want him on my 2nd pairing if I was looking to compete
Bingo. He has all the tools no will to compete. He could be a star he just doesnt have the mindset. Easy to fool a GM that doesnt do their home work. I was told by someone who works in the NHL who is familiar with AZ that this would happen with Chyc. Didnt believe it or didnt want to but he was 100 p bang on.

Reactions: Yak and BigRig4

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
Bingo. He has all the tools no will to compete. He could be a star he just doesnt have the mindset. Easy to fool a GM that doesnt do their home work. I was told by someone who works in the NHL who is familiar with AZ that this would happen with Chyc. Didnt believe it or didnt want to but he was 100 p bang on.
Luckily all it takes is one more team to fall for it for us to be able to cut bait.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

This description fits Chabot more than Chychrun.

Chychrun's problem is hockey IQ. Just doesn't have the brain to play mistake-free hockey and unless he's running your top PP he won't produce enough to justify what we gave up to get him and what he'll get on his next contract.

Doesn't mean he isn't a decent defenseman. He's perfectly fine on a team's 2nd pair.

Reactions: NB613

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
I think he could form a good 2nd pairing with one of the elite RH DFDs of the league, but that's a small list.

He needs a partner, like a Zub, who'll be the defensive conscience on the pair and let him roam. He's at his best when he's able use his skating to jump into plays. He eventually had something resembling that with JBD (a very poor man's Zub), but by that point his minutes were down, his role was diminished, and he often looked checked out.

It just never made sense putting he and Chabot together on a pair. They're too much alike. Neither felt comfortable playing their game, and neither one is going to be the Zub of a pair. It was just a poorly thought out trade* given the construction of the team.

*I didn't mind it at the time.

Reactions: DrEasy

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Pesce/Montour are pipe dreams. They're going to get paid 7/8M easily.

I don't know if they'll get quite that much, but I would hate to be the team that overpays either guy on a long-term contract.

Panthers could still re-sign Montour, but Carolina is actually doing the smart thing by letting Pesce go.

Let some other team throw a long-term desperation contract at him paying him too much money through his 30s when he'll likely decline.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
He needs a partner, like a Zub, who'll be the defensive conscience on the pair and let him roam. He's at his best when he's able use his skating to jump into plays. He eventually had something resembling that with JBD (a very poor man's Zub), but by that point his minutes were down, his role was diminished, and he often looked checked out.

It just never made sense putting he and Chabot together on a pair. They're too much alike. Neither felt comfortable playing their game, and neither one is going to be the Zub of a pair. It was just a poorly thought out trade* given the construction of the team.

*I didn't mind it at the time.
I think he needs someone more physical than Zub to really hold it down

Reactions: Yak

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I think they get around 6M-7M each. Maybe 8 if a team goes nuts.

You have to keep in mind that the cap is going up for the first time in forever, and it's projected to continue rising. That is going to give GMs the consent they need to go nuts in free agency.

When you're looking at Pesce or Montour in the context of getting them to Ottawa, you probably have to assume it would take 8M with rock-solid terms because they can sign with a premier organization for 6.5M. Until proven otherwise, we're a Mickey Mouse shit show. I believe "chaos" was the word. Don't get me wrong, I love the entertainment value of it all, but if you were making a serious career move and you had options from really consistent world class teams, what premium would you want to come here right now?

If someone is a free agent who you get excited about, or who you don't at least go "He might be good but I would be worried about his age", they're probably not coming here.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
These kind of takes are silly. Even if it is unintentional, it frames it like Necas and Pesce will show up at the CTC with their hat in hand asking for work, and Staios might go "I'm not sure if we need good hockey players for free from free agency, sorry guys."

Assuming we sign any tippy top UFA where there isn't an angle is not realistic. Giroux came here because of his ties to the area. Dadonov and Tarasenko came here because we overpaid in a flat cap.

We might get someone like Tanev by giving them a risky contract that no other team will match because he is 34 and historically anything more than a 1-2 year deal for a defenseman at that age is risky so most teams probably won't go there. With Pesce, he will have his choice of suitors.

Being cast in that car commercial must have got to his head. He's like the most famous guy in Quebec now.
Most of the sens personalities on twitter are relatively new hockey fans with absolutely no clue. They havent followed hockey for very long and dont really understand the business or the sport in general. They are enthusiastic tweeters that all follow along in a very small circle. Nothing they say has any weight or merit.

Dont get me wrong there are a few strong ones but for the most part there is no depth to the analysis or breakdown. They usually just try to incite engagement even though they dont make money off it. Or they troll other fanbases specifically the likes of Sens Buzz.

I cant believe they are just going to let Necas walk. That guy is a star hockey player in the prime of his career. What a mistake. I can understand why they are letting Pesce move on he is a little older and they have some elite players to pay.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Most of the sens personalities on twitter are relatively new hockey fans with absolutely no clue. They havent followed hockey for very long and dont really understand the business or the sport in general. They are enthusiastic tweeters that all follow along in a very small circle. Nothing they say has any weight or merit.

Dont get me wrong there are a few strong ones but for the most part there is no depth to the analysis or breakdown. They usually just try to incite engagement even though they dont make money off it. Or they troll other fanbases specifically the likes of Sens Buzz.

I cant believe they are just going to let Necas walk. That guy is a star hockey player in the prime of his career. What a mistake. I can understand why they are letting Pesce move on he is a little older and they have some elite players to pay.
Well he had 53 points this year. Last year was a breakout year 71 Year before same as this year essentially. Star is a strong word. I’m not watching *a lot* of Carolina tho

They have their reasons and I think teams would be wary to throw big money at him.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I long for the days of single , unified , well thought out , expert opinion twitter.

Reactions: Yak

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Well he had 53 points this year. Last year was a breakout year 71 Year before same as this year essentially. Star is a strong word. I’m not watching *a lot* of Carolina tho

They have their reasons and I think teams would be wary to throw big money at him.
This is a pretty good example of having to watch the player and their ability to create. He is only 25 years old and an RFA i dont see how they arent going to sign him. He has elite level talent, creativity and skill.

Reactions: DrEasy

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
This is a pretty good example of having to watch the player and their ability to create. He is only 25 years old and an RFA i dont see how they arent going to sign him. He has elite level talent, creativity and skill.
I have to defer to you in this case I don’t watch him much

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
He's an RFA so won't go for nothing. Maybe they're thinking something like the Lindholm/Hanifin for Hamilton/Ferland/Fox deal to make change after another playoff out. That was a pretty solid deal for both teams.

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
I long for the days of single , unified , well thought out , expert opinion twitter.
Twitter is a dive bar of comments. Everyone's got a hot take for ad their little comments here and there. It's rare to find decent commentary or educated thoughts on there. Only so much can be said in a tweet. A forum is a much more appropriate place to give an expert well thought opinion.

This year's draft and UFA have a decent glass of defenseman. There's No Superstar and thank God cuz that's not what we need. However if you're willing to put your money where your mouth is you could retool your defense if you don't mind paying. I would look to move up in the draft and grab that giant and hope he turns into the next Chara. Then sign to UFA defenseman. Maybe just maybe we can unload some of our garbage.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Personally, I think the only big move we should make over the summer is bringing in a legit top 4 RD. And if there's a cheap, good goalie available, make a swap there, too.

Otherwise, it's time for Green to show what he can do with this group. See if they can take that next step or are coachable to a much different voice. Anyone who isn't on board, we start making moves at the end of January or so.

Reactions: NB613 and LiseL

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Personally, I think the only big move we should make over the summer is bringing in a legit top 4 RD. And if there's a cheap, good goalie available, make a swap there, too.

Otherwise, it's time for Green to show what he can do with this group. See if they can take that next step or are coachable to a much different voice. Anyone who isn't on board, we start making moves at the end of January or so.
Yeah I think we definitely need to swap chychrun for a very solid rhd, swap forsberg for a better goalie who can take over when korpi struggles and then sign a veteran 3C.

3 moves minimum

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Sean Walker would be a pretty interesting target if Colorado doesn’t re-sign him
One of the many good righties available. Not the style they need in my opinion but if they move on from both Chabot and Chychrun I think he'd be a welcome addition. Assuming they beef up the left side with some size as well.

Players I'd like to see them target that are UFA's.

Tanev, Montour, Pesce, Roy, Dillon, Edmundson, Walker, Brossoit, Dakota Joshua, Demelo, Martinook, Myers, Zadorov, Zucker, Hronek, Debrusk, Okposo,
Duclair, Carrier, Lafferty

All players that could help this team.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad