Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Probably an unpopular opinion, and I have dumped on him plenty this season, but what if Korpi had an off year? What if we could improve the D and at the same time give him a fighting chance? What if he improved his confidence and actually developed into our #1 goalie?

I think we need to give him another season to show us what he's made of. But we also need to improve our D and get some gritty bodies to help out.

Well the good news then is that he's not going anywhere and I guess we'll see if that's is the case.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
But if you look at it as a whole throughout his career so far, he's... average. And that is really all we need if we improve our defense. At least to make it to the playoffs. We'll for sure need better if we intend on going all the way. But at least it buys us time to develop the next #1.
He isn't though.,

2015-16 he had a very good rookie year, I'll grant him that.

2016-17, .905 sv% (leave avg was .913) and .462 Quality starts%, -3.3 GSAA
2017-18 .897 sv% (leave avg was .912), .412 QS%, -8.5 GSAA
2018-19 .897 sv% (leave avg was .910), .381 QS%, -8.3 GSAA
2019-20 .911 sv% (leave avg was .910), .600 QS %, 1.1 GSAA
2020-21 .894 sv% (leave avg was .908), .419 QS%, -12.7 GSAA
2021-22 .877 sv% (leave avg was .907), .294 QS%, -19 GSAA
2022-23 .914 sv% (leave avg was .904), .649 QS%, +11.5 GSAA
2023-24 .890 sv% (leave avg was .903), .449 QS%, -20.8 GSAA

After that rookie year, only two seasons with a positive GSAA, and a QS above 500

That's not average.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

atmx093

STUDzle
Jul 2, 2014
Gatineau
He isn't though.,

2015-16 he had a very good rookie year, I'll grant him that.

2016-17, .905 sv% (leave avg was .913) and .462 Quality starts%, -3.3 GSAA
2017-18 .897 sv% (leave avg was .912), .412 QS%, -8.5 GSAA
2018-19 .897 sv% (leave avg was .910), .381 QS%, -8.3 GSAA
2019-20 .911 sv% (leave avg was .910), .600 QS %, 1.1 GSAA
2020-21 .894 sv% (leave avg was .908), .419 QS%, -12.7 GSAA
2021-22 .877 sv% (leave avg was .907), .294 QS%, -19 GSAA
2022-23 .914 sv% (leave avg was .904), .649 QS%, +11.5 GSAA
2023-24 .890 sv% (leave avg was .903), .449 QS%, -20.8 GSAA

After that rookie year, only two seasons with a positive GSAA, and a QS above 500

That's not average.
Being average on sub-par teams with a D that's more swiss cheese than D isn't exactly easy.
Like I said, if we improve our D and give him a fighting chance, then we see.

I didn't express myself correctly: his stats point at him possibly being "average".

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Being average on sub-par teams with a D that's more swiss cheese than D isn't exactly easy.

I didn't express myself correctly: his stats point at him possibly being "average".
Ok, so what are you basing him being average on? Why was this a down season if the others were just an average goalie on bad defensive teams?

2016-17 3rd out of 4 on team in sv%, Bob had .931
2017-18 2nd out of 2, Bob had .921 sv%
2018-19 2nd out of 2, Bob had .912 sv%
2019-20 2nd out of 3, Elvis had .923 sv%
2020-21 3rd out of 4, Elvis had .916
2021-22 4th out of 4, Elvis was 2nd with .907
2022-23 2nd out of 6, 1st only played 1 game, and Elvis was brutal at .876

There's nothing in there that suggests he was average.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

His stats prove he's well below average over his career. Bobrovsky and Merzlikens beat him statistically in almost every one of those seasons behind the same team, significantly so in basically all of those years. That's what got Bob the stupid contract in Florida and had CBJ keeping Elvis over Korpse. The context of those teams he played on would need to be proven beyond empty blanket statements like they were bad and had swiss cheese D, that other Tenders seemed to overcome.

There's a lot riding on that long shot lottery ticket that's already let the team down massively and has a long career of being outperformed by his tender teammates.

Even when we signed him, there was all this talk about the hip surgeries and last season. It was being held up as the reason he'd turned his career around in one season and could be the norm going forward. In year one, Korpse seemed to prove he was what he was before and that idea was fools gold.

atmx093

STUDzle
Jul 2, 2014
Gatineau
Ok, so what are you basing him being average on? Why was this a down season if the others were just an average goalie on bad defensive teams?

2016-17 3rd out of 4 on team in sv%, Bob had .931
2017-18 2nd out of 2, Bob had .921 sv%
2018-19 2nd out of 2, Bob had .912 sv%
2019-20 2nd out of 3, Elvis had .923 sv%
2020-21 3rd out of 4, Elvis had .916
2021-22 4th out of 4, Elvis was 2nd with .907
2022-23 2nd out of 6, 1st only played 1 game, and Elvis was brutal at .876

There's nothing in there that suggests he was average.
I didn't say he IS average, I said he is POSSIBLY average. He's also possibly a skunk of a goalie, but he's played on teams that sucked. He's not Bobrovsky, he's not Elvis either. They're undoubtably the better Gs.

I was just stating as a personal opinion that I'd like to give him one more season to prove himself, but that we need to improve the D as a forefront, that is all.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I didn't say he IS average, I said he is POSSIBLY average. He's also possibly a skunk of a goalie, but he's played on teams that sucked. He's not Bobrovsky, he's not Elvis either. They're undoubtably the better Gs.

I was just stating as a personal opinion that I'd like to give him one more season to prove himself, but that we need to improve the D as a forefront, that is all.
Fair enough,

I think the likelihood that he's actually an average goalie that was just hidden on a poor team is fairly low. I think he may be better than his historical stats suggest, but not average.

I think it's worth considering that after trading for him, LA decided to move on and signed Talbot over him. (edit: to be fair, this last point might have been budget driven)

Last edited:
Reactions: atmx093

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Fair enough,

I think the likelihood that he's actually an average goalie that was just hidden on a poor team is fairly low. I think he may be better than his historical stats suggest, but not average.

I think it's worth considering that after trading for him, LA decided to move on and signed Talbot over him. (edit: to be fair, this last point might have been budget driven)
I suppose one saving grace is that Staios thinks he is better than his stats from last season. :)

Blotto71

Okay, maybe the worst is behind us...?
May 12, 2013
Over There
I want to come back to my thought that Staios should hire a real goalie coach and not promote someone that has zero coaching acumen and had little success (beyond making a living - good on him) as a professional goalie. I'm sure Peters is personable (I really have no idea), but is he the best goalie coach this team can find? Get Korpi some help.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I want to come back to my thought that Staios should hire a real goalie coach and not promote someone that has zero coaching acumen and had little success (beyond making a living - good on him) as a professional goalie. I'm sure Peters is personable (I really have no idea), but is he the best goalie coach this team can find? Get Korpi some help.
He needs to look in the mirror more than anything.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Hope they can get him a sports psychologist if Korpisalo expresses it would help. If we're keeping him, might as well get him all the help we can (new coach, better D, more off ice support, etc...)

Reactions: Blotto71

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Can't imagine the Sens are going to be forking out 11+ million on their goaltending for the next 3 years

Korpisalo is a sunk cost. 11M is high for goaltending but not by that much. Lots of teams have two goalies in the 2.5-5.5M range these days.

I'd venture to guess that outside of getting lucky with an RFA goalie performing well, the only reason most teams don't spend more on their tandem is because there simply aren't enough 1B type goalies to go around.

Of course, our situation is different, but Korpisalo is a sunk cost. We can't just choose to not pay for a starting goalie because then we won't have one at all.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
If Ullmark signs here, my guess is that he would want 5-8 years, 5.5M AAV, trade protection, front loaded money, and maybe 1M-2M in signing bonuses on the back half to dissuade from a buyout.

If you're a goalie coming to Ottawa, you need buyout protection if you have the leverage to get it because the defense is bad historically.

Reactions: NB613 and bicboi64

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa's priority is very simple.

2 good RDs

Pesce
Demelo

Not 1. Two.

Chabot-Pesce
Sanderson-Zub
Kleven-Demelo
DeMelo was 2nd in TOI/gp in WPG and you want to sign him for the third pair....

Here's the thing, if the only way to "fix" our D is to get a playoff team's top pairing D to play on our third pair, then the problem we have isn't actually the personnel on D, it's the way we are playing.

Last edited:

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Sorry to circle back, you guys had no interest in a Rantanen Brady swap as a premise of a deal (understandable).

Would there be any interest in Rantanen at all or is he just not a player Sens fans are interested in?

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Sorry to circle back, you guys had no interest in a Rantanen Brady swap as a premise of a deal (understandable).

Would there be any interest in Rantanen at all or is he just not a player Sens fans are interested in?

How about a gently used but still talented Josh Norris?

Reactions: bicboi64

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
The big turning point for our franchise was Dorion not paying a 1st to dump Zaitsev so that we could trade Brannstrom for Marino. My Sens fanfic is that Ryan Bowness wanted Marino but the cost to dump Zaitsev was higher in the summer and Dorion had tunnel vision with Chychrun.

The end result was pretty much the same since it cost us a 1st and 3 thirds to get Chychrun and dump Zaitsev, but I think he would have been enough to get us into the playoffs that year.

We also could have chanted "laces out" at him. I don't care if that movie is considered offensive these days. It's still funny. Nothing kills more at family gatherings than popping up the video of Jim Carrey coming out of the rhinos ass (I know that is the second movie).

All I know is that I watched Ace Ventura at the age of 6 and I am an open loving person so I think we shouldn't be out to make people feel bad in our day to day interactions but when it comes to a comedy movie we have to understand that it's all in good fun even if it's wrong.

Maybe I'm wrong. I don't know. I still think Marino was the turning point.

I just texted Steve, but he never replies right away. I will let you know but no promises.

• Haha
Reactions: Perratrooper

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I don't know how we'd fit his cap hit in, we aren't interested in moving Tkachuk or Stützle, and you guys wouldn't want Norris or Chabot for him so I can't really see any way to make it happen even if we were interested in him.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

Rantanen is a good player, so there likely would be interest. But, the issue would be cap space. The feeling is that the Senators could probably accommodate (and prioritize) a RD, re-sign Pinto and perhaps a goalie and would likely have to move someone (or two players) to do that. That would likely mean they’d have only about $3 m for a forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad