Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
We didn't acquire Lassi Thomson in the Duchene trade. We got him for free from Anaheim off of waivers. Sometimes I think some of you guys like to fudge the facts to make Pierre Dorion look bad!
Ottawa drafted Thomson 19th overall in 2019 draft. I believe they used the the first round pick they acquired from Columbus when they traded Duschene. Ottawa then put him on waivers on Sept 20, 2023. Anaheim picked him up off waivers on Oct 1st then they put him back on waivers on Oct 9th whereby Ottawa claimed him back.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Ottawa drafted Thomson 19th overall in 2019 draft. I believe they used the the first round pick they acquired from Columbus when they traded Duschene. Ottawa then put him on waivers on Sept 20, 2023. Anaheim picked him up off waivers on Oct 1st then they put him back on waivers on Oct 9th whereby Ottawa claimed him back.

I always appreciate people sharing info. Your heart was in the right place, but my post was meant as a joke where the punch line is about fudging the facts, as I ironically did in the post.

• Haha
Reactions: LiseL

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Set him straight Lise

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
We need players like Trocheck, Bennett.

Chipy players that can also play great hockey.

I said we shouldve paid the price for Reinhart back then which imo wasnt very expensive, he’s another player I really like.

Obviously easier said than done and most wouldnt come here but I think thats the style of players this team doesnt have a lot of

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
In terms of a UFA top-4 RD, how about Jalen Chatfield of Carolina?
Might be as a result of Pesce's injury, but he has been playing 20+ minutes/game in the playoffs.

I will admit that I don't know a ton about him but looks to have decent size, will be 28 on Wednesday, played for TG in Vancouver, is making league minimum, put up 22pts in 72games this year.

I just get the sense that we are not going to be in the running for RD's like Montour, Roy, Pesce, Walker, Tanev, etc. We are likely going to have to be considering options like Chatfield, who might not be considered a top 4 D-man right now but have the tools to do so given the chance. Would probably jump at a deal like 3 x $3m, which gives flexibility to still grab a top 9F and/or a 1B Goalie. Thoughts on Chatfield?
was gonna bring him up aswell

not sure if he can be a full time top 4 guy but he might be able to

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Quality over Quantity in Chychrun trade.

A 1 for 1 trade brings back best value

Sens gotta find their Hossa Heatley trade

Sam Bennett for Chychrun

Nicholas Hague for

Radek Faksa for Chychrun

Morgan Geekie for Chychrun
I’d rather keep him and risk having him walk than do these two trades.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
We need players like Trocheck, Bennett.

Chipy players that can also play great hockey.

I said we shouldve paid the price for Reinhart back then which imo wasnt very expensive, he’s another player I really like.

Obviously easier said than done and most wouldnt come here but I think thats the style of players this team doesnt have a lot of
need to grab a player like this when they are avaliable

Reactions: Rodzilla

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
A couple will be this summer in free agency:

Brandon Tanev - Seattle Kraken looking to offload

Nick Cousins- UFA

Ryan Lomberg - UFA

Ian Cole - UFA
I'd take BTanev, but huge no to Cousins or Lomberg. Those guys are slimeballs

I don't see why not .. who we giving them
Hamonic and MacKewen?
Maybe Treliving is dumb enough to think Korpisalo is an upgrade on Samsonov.

They take Hamonic, Korpisalo and a 2nd for Knies or Robertson after Bertuzzi and Domi get signed to inflated deals lol

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
If the Avs get taken out in 5 and Georgiev lets in some stinkers, I wonder if we could move Forsberg for Georgiev. They get some cap savings, we get a chance on a goaltender that is better than our current tandem.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
If the Avs get taken out in 5 and Georgiev lets in some stinkers, I wonder if we could move Forsberg for Georgiev. They get some cap savings, we get a chance on a goaltender that is better than our current tandem.

It's too difficult to get goalies right now. I can't see them moving on from Georgiev unless it's a blockbuster where they get a legitimate #1. His cap hit is low enough that they could bring in a second veteran goalie.

I could see Colorado or another team going after Forsberg as a #2 goalie. Forsberg has been very good on Ottawa up until this season. There aren't enough goalies to go around. Most teams have moved towards tandems, so they want 2 good goalies. Forsberg is on the final year of his contract, which should make him more desirable to some teams who just need a short term solution because an equivalent goalie in free agency is going to want term.

I am not suggesting we will get much of a return, but I don't think Forsberg is a negative value asset. Maybe we can get a 4th round pick or something like that.

If it's Chychrun for Ullmark, I could see something like Forsberg bundled in the trade to give Boston a veteran backup.

Reactions: PlayOn

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
It's too difficult to get goalies right now. I can't see them moving on from Georgiev unless it's a blockbuster where they get a legitimate #1. His cap hit is low enough that they could bring in a second veteran goalie.

I could see Colorado or another team going after Forsberg as a #2 goalie. Forsberg has been very good on Ottawa up until this season. There aren't enough goalies to go around. Most teams have moved towards tandems, so they want 2 good goalies. Forsberg is on the final year of his contract, which should make him more desirable to some teams who just need a short term solution because an equivalent goalie in free agency is going to want term.

I am not suggesting we will get much of a return, but I don't think Forsberg is a negative value asset. Maybe we can get a 4th round pick or something like that.

If it's Chychrun for Ullmark, I could see something like Forsberg bundled in the trade to give Boston a veteran backup.
I lurked on the Avs forum and some fans want to move Rantanen for some assets so they can do a quick retool. I knew Rantanen was underwhelming these playoffs, but didn't know some fans viewed him as Marneresque.

I'd offer Chycrun, Forsberg, Norris, Kastelic and Boston's first for Rantanen and O'Connor.

If Sakic is smoking crack and accepts, I'll go nuts lol

Would love a Chycrun & Forsberg for Ullmark type deal too

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
I lurked on the Avs forum and some fans want to move Rantanen for some assets so they can do a quick retool. I knew Rantanen was underwhelming these playoffs, but didn't know some fans viewed him as Marneresque.

I'd offer Chycrun, Forsberg, Norris, Kastelic and Boston's first for Rantanen and O'Connor.

He has 1 year left on his deal I think.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison

Context might be that they would rather get assets than sign Rantanen at 13M+ with term.

I also think fans overrate what they will get for players, and that makes the prospect of moving them more tantalizing than it would be in reality.

They would be foolish to trade Rantanen if he wants to stay.

Unless we're acquiring him as a 1 year win or rebuild type move, I don't think he re-signs here.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
He has 1 year left on his deal I think.
We'd get out of the Norris and Korpisalo contracts, that alone would be the plus. If we decide to move Rantanen for assets or other players, we could come out like bandits.

Its all moot though. Sakic has to go full Dorion to make a move like that lol

• Haha
Reactions: Loach

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site

Another way of putting it is, Forsberg has been very good* in Ottawa up until he blew out both knees. I just can't imagine a team - especially a team trying to win - having any desire to take on Forsberg and his cap hit. He didn't look like he belonged in the NHL last year.

*He really only had one good year, which of course Dorion extended him off of.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Another way of putting it is, Forsberg has been very good* in Ottawa up until he blew out both knees. I just can't imagine a team - especially a team trying to win - having any desire to take on Forsberg and his cap hit. He didn't look like he belonged in the NHL last year.

*He really only had one good year, which of course Dorion extended him off of.

Beggars can't be choosers.

There aren't many proven backup or #2 type goalies available. Forsberg played 30 games this season with an .890 save percentage. Here is a list of upcoming UFA goalies who played 10+ games with an .890+ save percentage.

PLAYERTEAMAGEPOSHANDEDGPGAPP/GP+/-ShSh%TOIWLSOGAASv%CLAUSEEXPIRYCAP HITSALARY
1. Laurent BrossoitLogo of the Winnipeg JetsWPG31GLeft23--------15532.00.927UFA$1,750,000$1,750,000
2. Anthony StolarzLogo of the Florida PanthersFLA30GLeft27--------16722.03.925UFA$1,100,000$1,100,000
3. David RittichLogo of the Los Angeles KingsLAK31GLeft24--------13632.16.921UFA$875,000$875,000
4. Cam TalbotLogo of the Los Angeles KingsLAK36GLeft54--------272032.50.913NTCUFA$1,000,000$1,000,000
5. Calvin PickardLogo of the Edmonton OilersEDM32GLeft23--------12712.45.909UFA$762,500$775,000
6. Kevin LankinenLogo of the Nashville PredatorsNSH29GLeft24--------11612.82.908UFA$2,000,000$2,000,000
7. James ReimerLogo of the Detroit Red WingsDET36GLeft25--------11823.11.904M-NTCUFA$1,500,000$1,500,000
8. Martin JonesLogo of the Toronto Maple LeafsTOR34GLeft22--------11822.87.902UFA$875,000$875,000
9. Alex NedeljkovicLogo of the Pittsburgh PenguinsPIT28GLeft38--------18712.97.902UFA$1,500,000$1,500,000
10. Scott WedgewoodLogo of the Dallas StarsDAL31GLeft32--------16702.85.899UFA$1,000,000$1,000,000
11. Kaapo KähkönenLogo of the New Jersey DevilsNJD27GLeft37--------72413.64.898UFA$2,750,000$2,900,000
12. Ivan ProsvetovLogo of the Colorado AvalancheCOL25GLeft11--------4303.16.895UFA
Group 6
$775,000$775,000
13. Casey DeSmithLogo of the Vancouver CanucksVAN32GLeft29--------12912.89.895UFA$1,800,000$1,900,000
14. Ilya SamsonovLogo of the Toronto Maple LeafsTOR27GLeft40--------23733.13.890UFA$3,550,000$3,550,000

Once you take away the top 3-5 goalie free agents, who will be in a position to get term and pick their destination, it's a real bottom of the barrel type crop. There simply are not a lot of options for proven NHL goalies. A chunk of these goalies will stay with their current teams. There might only be a few realistic options for someone who wants a proven 20-30+ game backup, but doesn't want to get into a bidding war for Stolarz, or given out a lot of term.

Come the draft, if a team can throw Ottawa a late pick for Forsberg, that's something someone is going to consider when you look at the above crop. If he had 2 or 3 years of term, I don't think he would be moveable. As a pending UFA, he will be a fit somewhere.

Reactions: Senator Stanley

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad