Salary Cap: Free Agency Doldrums - Part VII | Taters Signs Rehab Contract with Pens. e6

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I don't think there's anything wrong with giving Malone a camp invite. I think the problem arises when/if he is signed just because of the name on the back of his jersey, despite showing he's an ineffective player.

But again, that might be an irrational fear. Seems like a Shero move, and he's not around anymore. We'll just have to see what happens. I don't think there's any harm in seeing how much gas is left in the tank, and going from there. For the record, I don't want him re-signed, but if he proves he can be of value to this team and he'll sign cheap, whatever.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
Moving Martin makes now no sense, if he goes you just weaken the defense.
The one who has to go is scuds. He would add either 2.9mm or 3.3MM to the cap and you would an in-house replacement among Despres, Harrington, Dumulin, or Samuelson that are way way way better players than Scuds and cheaper. Its all about the cap. .
With that added cap space, you can sign Despres, Spaling, and Sutter and go after an OTT, Setagouchi or some other player.

About Malone, only give him a tryout. If he works out fine, if not goodbye.

Uemoda

Formerly OminousGrey
Jun 28, 2011
Pennsylvania
www.twitter.com
It seems we're all in agreement. We should only give Malone a tryout IF his affairs are in order. And we should definitely dump Scuderi, at the least.

Can we stop discussing these points? :laugh:

So...what do we argue about now? Adams as Illuminati, Fleury as a terrible goaltender, or, the all-time classic, we have no wingers?

Damn, summer is boring.

Dupree13

Aug 2, 2005
Pittsburgh
I'd sign Alfredsson just to upset Sens fans.

I'd be a terrible GM, half of my decisions would be out of spite. :laugh:

But honestly, he wouldn't be a terrible stopgap until the team is in a better cap situation. He's still pretty productive and he's responsible defensively, so he's not going to be hurting you out there like Heatley would.

I like the idea of Alfie. He is a right shot, natural right winger. The fit is there.

But I read that he has told the Wings he'll either play for them or retire. If you're JR though, it couldn't hurt to call his agent and see if he'd have any interest on coming to Pittsburgh for a year.

Dupree13

Aug 2, 2005
Pittsburgh
I was just reading the Kevin Hayes thread on the main board. Interesting. I don't know how much he would cost but that seems like an avenue JR should explore. Apparently his priority is to sign somewhere that he could step right in and play, and you'd think the opportunity in Pittsburgh to not only play but play with world class players and do a lot of winning would be appealing.

Dr Frasier Crane

Oct 16, 2008
Boston, MA
I like the idea of Alfie. He is a right shot, natural right winger. The fit is there.

But I read that he has told the Wings he'll either play for them or retire. If you're JR though, it couldn't hurt to call his agent and see if he'd have any interest on coming to Pittsburgh for a year.

I'm with you, but I think the issue is uprooting his family more than anything. Think I remember that being the toughest part about leaving Ottawa.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
The Penguins already tried bringing an aging power forward with coke problems back, it didn't work out so good.

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
For all those who want Alfie, he refuses to sign with anybody, but Detroit. Detroit will send him a camp invite and if he still has it in they tank the will resign him.

SprootsMasterFlex

Sprootsing 4 Life
Apr 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
I think we're done in UFA outside of a camp invite or two but here's the notable forwards still out there for the sake of discussion.

Relatively young (Haven't turned 30 yet)
T.J. Galiardi 26
David Booth 29
Devin Setoguchi 27
Daniel Winnik 29
Jordan Schroeder 23
Tom Pyatt 27
Matt Halischuk 26

Enforcer/Fighter types
George Parros 34
Kevin Westgarth 30
Paul Bissonnette 29

With Carolina Last Year
Radek Dvorak 37
Drayson Bowman 25
Andrei Loktionov 24

Veterans (30 and older)
Steve Ott 31
Dany Heatley 33
Danny Cleary 35
Ray Whitney 42
Brenden Morrow 35
Ryan Malone 34
David Moss 32
Lee Stempniak 31
Dustin Penner 31
Ville Leino 30
Ryan Carter 30
Ryan Jones 30

Nice list. Good job! I'd add Peter Mueller to that list (under 30).

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I would go after Bowman and Loktionov. Both skilled young forwards. I would give them 2 way deals, but maybe max it for one year.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
Booth was one of the Canucks better puck-possession players and he likes to go to the net. Seems like the kind of guy who would fit the Penguins' system. He's still available.

ozpensfan

Nov 19, 2013
Western Australia
Being from where I am it'd hard to keep up - any word on setoguchi or Mueller? Also would love Daniel winnik. .. or heck even man evgeni artuchkin. . Even though he's a little crazy. ..

Klifton

May 30, 2014
Wahoo, Nebraska
Can someone give me a realistic list of left handed LWs that would have value around the value of Sutter? I'm making another roster and I need ideas.

Last edited:

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Next forward we bring in should be signed near league minimum to fill out the 4th line. Or via trade for a legitimate upgrade for Crosby's line.

Paying for a player for 2 mil who can't hold down a spot with Sid does us no good. We have Kunitz and Hornqvist as locks in the top 6. And Bennett, Downie, Dupuis and Spaling to earn the last two spots. Tweeners do us no good.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Evgeny Artyukhin? Haven't read that name in a while. He was fun to watch. I doubt that he will ever come back to the NHL. For those who have never seen him, imagine a 6'5" 250LBS version of Bobby Farnham.

MeticulouslyDishevel

Oct 23, 2012
For those saying that there´s nothing wrong (and no risks at all) with giving Malone a tryout in camp.. We were also giving a tryout for KOBASEW and we all know how it played out. Damaged goods is damaged goods, so don´t touch it this time.

Exactly. Thank god that we have a new coach and GM who won't be influenced by nostalgia.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I'd sign Alfredsson just to upset Sens fans.

I'd be a terrible GM, half of my decisions would be out of spite. :laugh:

You know I mocked this idea earlier when someone mentioned it (because it's actually pretty awful as ideas go), but now that you mention this angle, I have to say it would be almost worth doing anyway. Give Alf a game off before every Senators game, then a little shot of HGH and first line minutes every time we play the Senators. Throw Hornqvist - Sid - Alf out there. Get him on every PP also. :laugh:

1.jpg

I heart Eugene and the Gladiat-orz!

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Evgeny Artyukhin? Haven't read that name in a while. He was fun to watch. I doubt that he will ever come back to the NHL. For those who have never seen him, imagine a 6'5" 250LBS version of Bobby Farnham.

I always wanted him on the Pens but I agree that he'll likely never come back to the NHL. I'll never forget a game he played against the Pens one time where he kept inexplicably falling over. :laugh:

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Last time I saw Mueller he was rocking an early 90's Jagr-esque hair style. He was still pretty skilled but very slow.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I haven't seen Mueller play in a long time. Can anyone give me a refresher?

He has a hard time putting 60 games a year together, bounces from team to team. Pass.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/3989/

He'd be cheap but I doubt think he'd improve our team appreciably. It's a shame because he was a talented kid starting out and then if I remember right was one of the original serious concussion cases, receiving two bad ones in the same year, and was never the same after.

Mueller gets brought up every summer but he is the definition of damaged goods. We are really wasting our own time when we start talking about guys like Malone and Mueller and Alf (albeit for different reasons). I think until something happens, we'd be better off letting this thread idle for the most part and spend time learning about our new prospects, etc in those threads.

Or verbally abusing Rossi and Madden.

Sutter16

Aug 17, 2012
Pittsburgh,PA
I'd take a look at Ryan Jones and Drayson Bowman. I liked the way Jones played when he was in Edmonton and maybe Bowman can find himself here in a faster system whether it's here or WBS.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Was this posted?

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/penguins/2014/07/05/Rutherford-s-holiday-Rest-and-reflection/stories/201407050051

He's happy with the trade that brought forwards Patric Hornqvist and Nick Spaling from Nashville for James Neal because the Penguins "added two players who can play a little different style."

"I feel we've improved ourselves at all positions," he said.

He acknowledged the impact of defensemen Matt Niskanen and Brooks Orpik leaving via free agency, but said: "Our younger defensemen are getting better, and the addition of Ehrhoff makes us stronger."

Rutherford cited "how we balance our forwards" as his greatest challenge for the rest of this offseason, and did not rule out additional personnel moves. With six restricted free agents, including center Brandon Sutter, defenseman Simon Despres and Spaling to re-sign, a trade or two might be unavoidable.

"We have to keep in mind that Kapanen could come in and make this team," he said. "He's played with men [in Finland] for two years. He's a good player."

The Penguins roster very much remains a work-in-progress and might well still be until the trade deadline next season. Nonetheless, Rutherford feels they are "moving in the right direction," specifically toward their objective of re-establishing themselves as serious Stanley Cup contenders.

Botterill seems upbeat about what the Baby Penguins have up front.

"We understand that we're going to be a fairly young group of forwards to start the year down there," he said. "But what gets us excited is where they can go in their growth, and where the team could be at the end of the year."

Oh, how things have changed.

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
No way Kapenen makes the team this year. He broke his arm and that's why he slipped to us (he was around 10 on most mocks and such). I would love it if he could, I just doubt it actually happens. Who knows, the Dumb and Dumbass era is over.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Love those quotes. Exactly what you want to hear. The opposite of what Shero would have said.

Kapanen is going to get a real shot. Very interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad