Free Agency and Trades Thread: Post deadline wasteland

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Don't really want to get into a newthread about it but do you think we should try to let Zaitsev re-establish himself next season or try to trade him this summer?

The return can't be pretty at this point.

Let him re-establish himself. Apparently people don't like the contract but the guy took on a lot more defensive responsibilities and still responded decently well. Main thing that looks bad is 1) Production, 2) Possession and 3) Turnovers.

1) He didn't get any PP time this year. Last year 12 of the 36 points he got came on the PP. This time around, none. 13 points vs 24 @ ES in 22 fewer games and a much more defensive role doesn't look as bad. Zaitsev was treated essentially as a shutdown guy tasked with covering for Gardiner while he ran the offense as a defensive QB. He essentially pulled a reverse Rielly. Rielly was given more freedom with Hainsey now covering for him a bit more. Zaitsev was given far less freedom going from being sheltered by Rielly to having to shelter Gardiner.

2) Probably can chalk most of it up to his change in role. I mean he was +30 better than he was last year despite playing MORE defense against what I would expect is harder QoC, so I doubt he is doing terrible in his own zone. His Corsi was only 2% lower than last year at ES. Also, his injury probably plays a decent part in it well, so maybe a year where he is more healthy will do him good.

3) Turnovers. It's literally a problem for everyone on the defense. Everyone pushes near or over a turnover a game except Polak (0.59 per game) and Carrick (0.43 per game). Zaitsev was one of the worse ones, with 76 in 60 games (1.27 per game) which is close to Gardiner's 105 in 82 (1.28 per game), but Rielly, Hainsey and Dermott are not that far behind (1.04, 1.06, 0.97 respectively). Borgman is in between (0.75 per game). This one I am blaming on Babcock and his sorry excuse of the "Hail Mary" breakout game which rarely works and causes a boat load of turnovers. Everyone except Rielly was significantly worse this year than they were last year. Gardiner was about Rielly's level. Hainsey was close to what Polak was. Zaitsev was closer to Borgman's level. If it's happening to everyone, it's probably not on just one player. Hopefully the analytics department rides Babcock on this one this offseason, and we can see something a lot more productive. I don't see how a team that has so many talented puck movers has one of the laziest break outs I have ever seen.

There is nothing really stopping him from turning things around after a good summer, and if he does his contract is almost as good as Kadri's.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I've thought of Nelson as well. That's too many years, though.

The Devils are looking for D. Maybe, Zaitsev for Zajac?

It goes until he's 33. He's good for 20-25 goals and 40-45 points. Could possibly be more with the Leafs if he ever gets to play with Matthews like he did with Tavares. And you get him for less than 4 mill a year through his prime. It may not be perfect, but even if he is just a solid 2nd/3rd line forward for the entire deal, it's still a great cap hit.

I'm taking Zaitsev over Zajac any day. Zaitsev is better, younger and cheaper... And has the potential to do better over the next few years. Zajac may put up some more points but he pretty much is going to remain an overpaid 3C for the rest of his 3 years, and we don't need one.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
It goes until he's 33. He's good for 20-25 goals and 40-45 points. Could possibly be more with the Leafs if he ever gets to play with Matthews like he did with Tavares. And you get him for less than 4 mill a year through his prime. It may not be perfect, but even if he is just a solid 2nd/3rd line forward for the entire deal, it's still a great cap hit.

I'm taking Zaitsev over Zajac any day. Zaitsev is better, younger and cheaper... And has the potential to do better over the next few years. Zajac may put up some more points but he pretty much is going to remain an overpaid 3C for the rest of his 3 years, and we don't need one.
It's not the cap hit, whether talking about Nelson or a Zaitsev/Zajac swap, it's the term. Nelson doesn't deserve 7 years. He's a completely average middle six player. One I'd have interest in, but not for 7 years. Maybe 3 years. Zaitsev may not return to form. The Leafs will need a Bozak replacement. Cutting the term from 6 to 3 years could be good for our long-term cap health.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I know its more of a knee-jerk reaction, but if they don't improve in the playoffs, I find it hard to see Nylander and Mattehws demanding what some think they will in their next contracts.

Right now, I'd offer:
Nylander: 8x5.5
Matthews: 8x8.25
Marner: 8x7

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
We are not going to be able to change this team overnight. I still believe we need to sign Tavares in order to keep pace and then add a couple of gritty foot soldiers who are willing to take a hit to make a play and eager to finish their checks. Some size on the D is also needed. Signing Tavares gives you the option to move skill for grit. For example, a Nylander for a Tkachuk (only an example, Flames won't move Tkachuk).

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
We need D. Any moved assets need to go to that position.

Sign Tavares. You can then move assets for a dman. You can also move some O off your dcore for some D. It would help if Zaitzev put on some muscle in the off season. He looks like that skinny kid on the beach that gets his ass kicked by the big bully.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
We need D. Any moved assets need to go to that position.

That was clear last off-season but nothing was done.

I have no idea how the Leafs can improve their defense but that's why we have Lamoriello, right? He's got all the connections and he's the mastermind of negotiations, or so I'm told.

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
That was clear last off-season but nothing was done.

I have no idea how the Leafs can improve their defense but that's why we have Lamoriello, right? He's got all the connections and he's the mastermind of negotiations, or so I'm told.

I kept waiting and waiting for them to acquire a dman at the TDL and then stand pat on the D and trade for a corpse.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I’m wanting Tavares more now than when the season ended.

I’m not sure we have anyone on the team who can make this “their team”. Maybe Tavares can.

Or maybe someone will step up and prove me wrong.

Reactions: The Magic Man

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I’m wanting Tavares more now than when the season ended.

I’m not sure we have anyone on the team who can make this “their team”. Maybe Tavares can.

Or maybe someone will step up and prove me wrong.

Couldn't agree with you more. I am hoping that Tavares did not tune into these two games :)

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
To CGY:
Nylander + Gardiner + Leivo + 1st

To TOR:
Hamilton and Bennett + 2nd

To Washington:
Hainsey (50% retained)

To Toronto:
Orpik, 3rd round pick

Also Trade Carrick, Gauthier, McElhinney for picks/prospects

Sign John Tavares, Greg Pateryn, Jay Beagle, Leo Komarov

Johnsson-Matthews-Marner
Bennett-Tavares-Hyman
Marleau-Kadri-Kapanen
Komarov-Beagle-Brown
Aaltonen

Rielly-Hamilton
Dermott-Zaitsev
Orpik/Borgman-Pateryn
Orpik/Borgman, Ozhiganov

Andersen
Sparks

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
We also need D that can play D. Trade Gardiner this offseason for an actual defensman. :nod:

You also need D that can move the puck, like Gardiner. Part of the reason our offense is struggling this series is because Boston is doing a superb job of limiting our 1st pass and clogging the neutral zone.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
You also need D that can move the puck, like Gardiner. Part of the reason our offense is struggling this series is because Boston is doing a superb job of limiting our 1st pass and clogging the neutral zone.

Well Gardiner sure isn't doing a great job of that either ;)

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
I know its more of a knee-jerk reaction, but if they don't improve in the playoffs, I find it hard to see Nylander and Mattehws demanding what some think they will in their next contracts.

Right now, I'd offer:
Nylander: 8x5.5
Matthews: 8x8.25
Marner: 8x7
I don’t know exactly what the numbers will be, but if Nylander’s reps go into these negotiations and even mutter the word Pastrnak they should get laughed out of the meeting.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Agreed but not many all-in-one dman are available. You have to have a mix, like the Bruins have at the moment.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I don’t know exactly what the numbers will be, but if Nylander’s reps go into these negotiations and even mutter the word Pastrnak they should get laughed out of the meeting.

In fairness to Nylander, Pasta has been given lots of ice whereas the Bruins are not giving Willie much. However Pasta is not allergic to the front of the net, whereas Willie might be.

At the end of the day, it proves that Ehlers <= Nylander <= Marner < Pasta. This should stop the Willie is worth north of $7M posters in their tracks ... finally.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
The idea of our own Hall for Larson trade this offseason scares me half to death, I can see an incoming Nylander for Josh Manson/ Spurgeon going down in the off-season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad