Speculation: Free Agency 2016 : Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
The Stamkos issue has another facet I find many are neglecting. The what if factor.
He has to have it in his head. Anyone in his position would. I know i sure would.
What if he signs in Montreal and they win the cup. Bringing the Cup back to Montreal in specific, and Canada in general, makes him an instant National celebrity and an even bigger one in Montreal.
Endorsement deals would be thrown at him like crazy.
Same if he signed in TO and brought them the Cup, only probably more so.
Talk about putting your stamp on hockey history.

luthar

Nov 29, 2011
Mtl
The Stamkos issue has another facet I find many are neglecting. The what if factor.
He has to have it in his head. Anyone in his position would. I know i sure would.
What if he signs in Montreal and they win the cup. Bringing the Cup back to Montreal in specific, and Canada in general, makes him an instant National celebrity and an even bigger one in Montreal.
Endorsement deals would be thrown at him like crazy.
Same if he signed in TO and brought them the Cup, only probably more so.
Talk about putting your stamp on hockey history.

As for endorsement, if what was rumored about potential contracts with companies where Teachers Retirement plan has invested, this would be quite a game changer for the cap management of NHL teams.

Source/Idea: http://theleafsnation.com/2015/12/8/report-stamkos-to-leafs-possible-could-involve-indirect-payment

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal

69127038.jpg

Yay :yo:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
If it means improving on Flynn or Byron I'm totally fine with a cheap contract.

I'm not quite sure Matt Martin is a better player than Paul Byron if you completely disregard agitation/physicality/enforcing.

Dichow Stopper

Former ChuckyToGally
Aug 9, 2004
Not the addition we are all waiting for but Martin would definitely improve our 4th line.

With that being said, he will sign for at least 2M$ per IMO.

CapSpace

Caufield is lit
Nov 25, 2013
Near Montreal
Looks like Pirri, Colbourne, Wiercioch will not be qualified. Should we show interest in any of them ? Maybe Brett Connolly will it the market too.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

I havent facepalmed so much over a habs gm's work since the days of Houle.

No matter what Bergevin does this summer, if he cant get ONE bonafide top 6 forward, we won't get to the SCF. He should then get fired if Molson has any wits.

Still obsessed with grinders, yet we need a top 6 and someone to take the load on Subban's left side.

I'll wait a bit, but this isn't looking good at all.

Pretty sure I'd do a better job than he does.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Looks like Pirri, Colbourne, Wiercioch will not be qualified. Should we show interest in any of them ? Maybe Brett Connolly will it the market too.

I'd be fine with Colbourne taking on the 3C spot if we can get rid of Desharnais somewhere else, but I don't think the Flames plan on letting Colbourne walk, coming out of a 44 points season...

As for Pirri and Wiercioch, no interest whatsoever from me.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Anyone else interested in Hamhuis on a short term deal? I think he'd be a great partner for Subban.

HeShootsHeScores

Mar 17, 2009
You go all in or you don't. Hire all the rats. screw talent. Psychological war every game. Hire giant Bordeleau and habs might qualify has a legit wwe stable.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Since coming back from work, I've read that the Habs are talking with Weise and Martin. What the **** do we need more god damn 4th liners for? Why are they even talking to them? This is insanity lol.

Anyone else interested in Hamhuis on a short term deal? I think he'd be a great partner for Subban.

He's not going to go anywhere but the west. That was also the condition of him waiving his NTC at the deadline (ultimately wasn't dealt). He wants to stay in the west.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
3.0M for Martin
3.0M fo for Weise

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Shaw
Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Gallagher
Martin - Danault - Weise
Byron - McCarron - Mitchell
Flynn/Andrighetto

Grind these guys.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
I wouldn't mind this if the Habs good rid themselves of some of the other bottom 6 players. I'd much rather Martin than having Weise back and MT thinking he's a top 6 and belonging on the PP again. :nod:

Certainly would love to add Martin and drop Byron. But Martin will likely be $2m+ which would be (another) insane signing.

Weise if welcome back as well on a short term at under $2.5m. Even that would be silly but Gallagher, Shaw, Weise would be good RW depth.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
At the right prize I would be quite happy with getting Martin. He's one of the best in the league at what he does and he's young. He'd be a vast improvement over most of our bottom 6 options, which we can easily discard.

prairie hab

Jul 4, 2007
SK
I havent facepalmed so much over a habs gm's work since the days of Houle.

No matter what Bergevin does this summer, if he cant get ONE bonafide top 6 forward, we won't get to the SCF. He should then get fired if Molson has any wits.

Still obsessed with grinders, yet we need a top 6 and someone to take the load on Subban's left side.

I'll wait a bit, but this isn't looking good at all.

Pretty sure I'd do a better job than he does.

Say what you want, but last year's team had no "push back" to them. Losing Prust who was adored in the room hurt tbe psyche of the team. Sure Prust was a bonehead at times and took stupid penalties and really slowed down, but guys play better when they know someone will have their back. Our 4th liners were all fast-skating lightweights....
Byron, Flynn, Mitchell - decent penalty killers but they don't aggravate, bring energy, intimidate or set a physical tone. Guys like Shaw, and an interest in Martin show that Bergevin wants to adjust the identity and culture. Nothing wrong with that if they can contribute as well if not better than the existing bottom-sixers.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Martin won't come cheap.

Sure, he's a great 4th liner, but going after him basically means you agree to go into next season without addressing the top 6 winger issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad