Free Agency 2015

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
Barret Jackman, would add some more snarl and send the advanced stats people running for the Tobin bridge.

I think they will make a run at Stewart and Franson, not be able to afford them and settle on St, Louis and Jackman. Size at forward would become a big issue if they get St.Louis

I'd be good with Jackman.

InterimGM

May 6, 2015
I know nothing about advanced stats and am very happy about it. When they can measure intensity and intimidation and when they don't try to convince me Phil Kessel is a good hockey player and can help a team win a cup let me know and I will pay attention, until then I will give them the same respect I give to all the Bill James's and stat geeks who have never played a game in their lives just sit and analyze. None.

That's called blissfully ignorant. Kudos.

The second part, I'd actually guess a ton of people well versed in the 5th grade math you consider advanced stats are better than you at sports too. Which has to be depressing.

InterimGM

May 6, 2015
I would prefer he does not. :laugh:

I'm not going to say that, because everything I prefered they didn't do outside of the Lucic trade they've done.

So I hope they sign Stewart and Beleskey to ridiculous contracts, and I hope they trade Rask for futures.

pfw19

Oct 1, 2009
Wisconsin

He makes 4.5M for 2 more years. I'm pretty sure I'd pass, but I'm still on tilt from all the moves this weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Bickell nearly lost the Hawks the playoffs in that OT when he couldn't even get the puck in deep and tried a slapshot on goal from center ice. He turned it over and an odd man rush was the GWG.

expy

Nov 2, 2010
Pierre LeBrunVerified account
‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
Hearing that the San Jose Sharks have acquired Martin Jones from the Boston Bruins

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Same here... Franson and Frolik... went over the list yesterday and these are the two I want here.

I heard Frolik wants to be a Hab.

I am convinced Martin St Louis is headed here.

I can't even believe this but right now that would be a huge huge huge signing for us, we all know that would be very short contract and it would stop us from doing anything stupid :help:

and we would have some crazy money next offseason, kelly, lucic, MLS+ cap going up we'd have some shopping money= easily over 10M :laugh: but what crazy signings we would do with that :help:

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
That's called blissfully ignorant. Kudos.

The second part, I'd actually guess a ton of people well versed in the 5th grade math you consider advanced stats are better than you at sports too. Which has to be depressing.

Well I'm 48 so I would hope they would be better at sports than me now, also I don't live in mom's basement with a poster of Bill James and fantasy hockey books.

Stat geekery seems to be working great for the Red Sox, why watch the game when you can look at a advanced statistical analysis, seems like a great idea :shakehead

Now let's bring that concept to hockey where stats mean even less and zone possession, shots attempted and shots not taken probably make more sense to you because you have never been hit by a defenseman in your life and can't skate three feet without holding onto a chair, probably with a computer on it to tell you what's wrong with your skating.

As soon as advanced stats can tell me when a forward turns out of the corners because he doesn't want to be hit, when a defenseman rushes a pass because he knows he is going to get hit or when a soft, skilled player who thrives vs other soft teams but chokes vs physical teams that target him then I will put stock in them. Until then I will look at them as the world of geeks who couldn't play sports and just wanted so badly to be involved in some way they had to invent a way to try to fit in.

InterimGM

May 6, 2015
Well I'm 48 so I would hope they would be better at sports than me now, also I don't live in mom's basement with a poster of Bill James and fantasy hockey books.

Stat geekery seems to be working great for the Red Sox, why watch the game when you can look at a advanced statistical analysis, seems like a great idea :shakehead

Now let's bring that concept to hockey where stats mean even less and zone possession, shots attempted and shots not taken probably make more sense to you because you have never been hit by a defenseman in your life and can't skate three feet without holding onto a chair, probably with a computer on it to tell you what's wrong with your skating.

As soon as advanced stats can tell me when a forward turns out of the corners because he doesn't want to be hit, when a defenseman rushes a pass because he knows he is going to get hit or when a soft, skilled player who thrives vs other soft teams but chokes vs physical teams that target him then I will put stock in them. Until then I will look at them as the world of geeks who couldn't play sports and just wanted so badly to be involved in some way they had to invent a way to try to fit in.

Here's the problem. You seem to make it sound like Advanced Stats = Anti Physicality. That's wrong and no surprisingly, ignorant on your part. Perhaps the player Advanced Stats loves the most is Patrice Bergeron. Is he any of the mocking things you describe? No. And like I said, the snarly Barrett Jackman does well with advanced stats. As does Zdeno Chara. There are plenty of soft players advanced stats doesn't approve of as well. It's not really all that big on Ryan Spooner for example. So you can spare me your uninformed indignation.

The Red Sox have won 3 World Series in the last what, 12 years using that stuff. How'd they do in the previous 12 (x 7)?

Also, I've been hit by more defenseman than I care to admit. I wish I were faster on my skates so that would happen less personally, but I don't turn away from s***. But again, all you really know about me is that I can comprehend 5th grade math.

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
Guys I'd really like: Jackman or Fehr (but we wont get either)

Guys who I like and they could get: Richardson, Slater, Irwin

Guy I'd take a shot on: Paajarvi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad