Free Agency 2015

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
Around 48 hours away from the opening of free agency and I haven't seen a thread yet, so I thought I'd create one.

Feel free to discuss/predict what you think the Bruins' needs/wants/plans are this week.

Keep the cap in mind, when discussing trades/signings. The Bruins can be over the cap by as much as 10% before the season starts.(71.4m ceiling + 7.14m)

That said, I thought our D needed upgrading, even before our draft day trades. I think it's even more critical now. G is set and our forwards can mix/match/slot in as needed.
D is my target.... Green/Sekera are the cream of the crop. My darkhorse is Matt Irwin from the Sharks. He has a solid shot, big body and can get dirty in the corners. I think there could be value there.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
Not a great class.

MSL I'd like, but don't see the sales pitch of coming to the B's as attractive to him.

Franson... good size, shot, fits the need of established top4 RHD but I think he cashes in on 5X5 which I think whatever team lands him will regret.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
I'd go hard after MSL on a one year deal, though I doubt he comes.

I'd pretty much be focusing on the shorter term UFAs who come off the books sooner. Assuming we don't make a big trade this team is going nowhere but if we can sign a couple short term vets and get into the playoffs anything is possible with Tuuka.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Franson and Frolik please. I'm worried about how much they'd cost though

Huge no to Franson,

Chara-Franson-Seids-McQ would not look nice and he gets longterm +5M contract.

DK46

Jun 21, 2012
Hanwell, NB
The blueline needs more than before now that Hamilton is gone.

Here are some of the defensemen available:

Sekera
Green
Martin
Franson
Jackman
Erhoff
Oduya
Hedja
Zidlicky

Underwhelming class of free agents.

Wingers:
Cole
MSL
Glencross
Beleskey
Stafford
Frolik (plays C too)
Williams
Stewart

Tlusty - Has played C but I think he plays wing as well.

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
I'd go hard after MSL on a one year deal, though I doubt he comes.

I'd pretty much be focusing on the shorter term UFAs who come off the books sooner. Assuming we don't make a big trade this team is going nowhere but if we can sign a couple short term vets and get into the playoffs anything is possible with Tuuka.

Same, he could teach Pasta a lot about using his speed and being elusive. I am really interested to see what grinder or enforcer we sign. I love St.Louis, and he can still skate with the best of them.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
Green makes the most IMO.

A) Right hand shot
B) Can play big minutes
C) Can help with the PP

While he isn't a strong defensive dman; I think Claude can use him properly like he does with Krug.

That would make us a better offensive dman from the backend.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Frolik fits well with this team and would be awesome to watch on the Bergeron line. Fast, skilled, two way game, plays the PK, and isn't afraid to take the body. He's still in his prime and fits in age wise with the rest of the core. I think 4.5 over 3-4 years will get him here.

Altamira

Sep 20, 2013
Massachusetts
If this is a "rebuild" then I hope they don't sign anyone for multiple years and big money. Let the kids play, get the cap straightened out and hopefully the new look scouting staff can hit on some of these draft picks.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
I actually wouldn't mind Chris Stewart now with Lucic gone. Doesn't fit the up tempo mold however. Good skater, but far from an energy guy. One of the younger free agents at 27. He's not Lucic. Not even close, but he can fight and play in your middle six. I find the odd scrap entertaining.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Oduya, Franson and Sekera are the only D-men I'm really interested in, but they'd all likely cost way too much. Maybe Ehrhoff. It's important to get a D-man that can be reliable defensively but also move the puck. **** no to Mike Green.

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
Go and sign Mike Richards for dirt cheap. You can easily get him on a 1 year deal for 1-1.5 mill, he's not the scorer he once was but he's still a tough, nasty SOB and would be a great fit on the wing with Spooner and Pastrnak to show them the ropes on how to use their size effectively.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I actually wouldn't mind Chris Stewart now with Lucic gone. Doesn't fit the up tempo mold however. Good skater, but far from an energy guy. One of the younger free agents at 27. He's not Lucic. Not even close, but he can fight and play in your middle six. I find the odd scrap entertaining.

Yeah Id sign him for half what Lucic would cost.

Hopefully he doesn't get bid up too high. 3 years 10 mil is what I offer.

Bruzin

Jan 13, 2003
Berlin
Visit site
Frolik fits well with this team and would be awesome to watch on the Bergeron line. Fast, skilled, two way game, plays the PK, and isn't afraid to take the body. He's still in his prime and fits in age wise with the rest of the core. I think 4.5 over 3-4 years will get him here.

Agreed. Frolik is perfect for that line. He is a left-handed shot, but he prefers playing RW. Plus, that would bump Smith down to the third line, which might take some pressure off of him.

Sekera would be great, but he's going to get a huge contract. Oduya might be a good fit. Avoid: Franson.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Not a great class.

MSL I'd like, but don't see the sales pitch of coming to the B's as attractive to him.

Franson... good size, shot, fits the need of established top4 RHD but I think he cashes in on 5X5 which I think whatever team lands him will regret.

MSL on a one year deal would be great for us, stops us from doing any stupid signings and we would have ton of cap available next offseason, Kelly+Lucic's cap hit+ MLS off the books and cap going up.

You say to MLS that we are going to be "very active" at the deadline and with our assets we are going to get a real good player, top6/top4 guy to help us win.

Trade for Yandle and his 2.8M cap hit to replace Hamilton's offense, I have no idea how this team could be a playoff team without a strong offensive blue liner when we with Hamilton were 23rd in scoring.

Yandle is in his prime and helps us to limit seids minutes which will be huge without any topD help, then sign MLS for 1 year deal and go crazy at the deadline/next offseason. Look at the UFA group at the deadline and get a player you want to re-sign after the season with that 10M+ cap we would have available.

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
My prediction. Stewart and Green, matching 5 year, 5.5m each .

If this happens, I might need to buy a straight jacket.

Even Caps fans admitted that Greens best days are long gone.

I'm afraid of what's going to happen on July 1st.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad