GDT: FREE AGENCY 2015 | Day #2 - What will today bring?

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
But it can turn into a first for our 7 year rebuild. We won't be competing till then anyways :sarcasm:

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
As long as Cody Franson isn't signed(to a different team) I won't sleep too good.

Hyperglide

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Yes. With us paying 1.5 of it for 7 years. So 6.5

If Kadri gets 5 mill. It'll be 1.5 less than Phil which is laughable

Not to nitpick but it's $1.2 million. 15% of 8 is 1.2. Pittsburgh is essentially paying him $7 million a year. And with the cap going up that's barely going to affect the Leafs. The retained salary will barely register especially with all the ELC's we have coming up through the pipeline after next season.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
So Spaling is last yr contract, Parenteau and Arcobello are 1 yr contract, while Winnik and Hunwick are on 2 yrs deal. All deals are 2.3mil or less. plus Polak on his last year contract. Think it will be another good deadline day next Feb.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
We have no room for Franson unless we plan on moving Dion or Polak, which doesn't appear to be the case.

#BringBackSanto

buttman*

Not to nitpick but it's $1.2 million. 15% of 8 is 1.2. Pittsburgh is essentially paying him $7 million a year. And with the cap going up that's barely going to affect the Leafs. The retained salary will barely register especially with all the ELC's we have coming up through the pipeline after next season.

7 years is a long time. Ask Chicago, Boston and others how important 1.2 is.

ANDI P IS CUTE

Oct 7, 2009
Windsor On
I can almost guarantee Bozak will be gone soon. Check out the roster. Simply no room or future for him. Sign Santorelli if we can find a taker for Lupul (doubt it).

JVR-Kadri-Parenteau
Lupul -Holland-Arcobello
Komarov-Spaling-Panik
Winnik-Carrick-Frattin/Bailey

Phaneuf-Robidas
Rielly -Polak
Hunwick-Gardiner
Granberg

in what world is Winnik a 4th line player on this team? He was one of the best players for us last year.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Lucic got turned into 2 first rounders.

Guess you ccould say Kapanen is 1 first rounder, we're not guarateed the second 1st rounder though.

Lol good job shanny and co.

did the details change? because last I heard the 1st was just Lottery protected meaning if they miss the playoffs it just gets pushed from a 2016 1st to a 2017 first? which means were still gaurenteed a 1st round pick.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
did the details change? because last I heard the 1st was just Lottery protected meaning if they miss the playoffs it just gets pushed from a 2016 1st to a 2017 first? which means were still gaurenteed a 1st round pick.

basically both picks are lottery protected. so if the Penguins miss the playoffs twice. we only get a 2nd.

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
This management terrifies me a lot, they don't know how to handle themselves. I just hope we fire someone as soon as we get big time non value for another roster player.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Kessel and our coaches were the biggest problem with the Leafs. We had to trade Kessel and there weren't many teams who he could be traded to... but we still got some good players in return and we didn't have to take on a bad contract.

But we don't have to trade any of our other players. I'm happy keeping Phaneuf, Bozak, JVR, Kadri, Lupul, etc. We don't need to retain on anyone else. Kessel's contract was bad. Phaneuf's contract is pretty good. Bozak's is good. JVR's is great. Lupul's is bad, but it could look attractive after this season.

I would trade any of them if the right deal came around... but I'd be in no hurry to trade anyone else. We can wait for the right deal to come along... or I'm happy taking this team into next season. Now that Kessel is off the team, I'm happy (so long as we don't sign Franson).

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I know the odds of this are super low but wow....how did we just hand that kind of super pick protection to the Pens?

I would think due to the fact that they don't really have that much prospect wise (they traded Dupres, there's Maata/Pouliot, they just traded Kapanen, and they don't have a bunch of picks). [All of that came from Pierre McGuire].

Now, I am not sure why BOTH are super protected (I would have been like the 1st, yes, and if it's a lottery winner, give me your other one, no questions asked), however, from things I've heard about Penguins ownership (potential) changing, + current ownership not super happy, (add to that how the Penguins who did have a bad 2nd half almost missed the playoffs and their pick was 16th, and it could have been UGLY) - it truly does not surprise me that Rutherford had it done. We see it done all the time (again not uber-super protected - but at the same time not a lot of people have Pittsburgh's issues).

I would hope when we're that good that we're trading 1st rounders, that we have the foresight to super-protect the picks too.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
This management terrifies me a lot, they don't know how to handle themselves. I just hope we fire someone as soon as we get big time non value for another roster player.

I like what this team is doing in terms of drafting and their mentality, but the way way this Kessel trade went down and the price we paid has convinced me this all-rookie management group isn't as infallible as we all thought. An experienced GM took advantage of us. And that's a scary thought going forward.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
I like what this team is doing in terms of drafting and their mentality, but the way way this Kessel trade went down and the price we paid has convinced me this all-rookie management group isn't as infallible as we all thought. An experienced GM took advantage of us. And that's a scary thought going forward.

In all fairness, it was THE perfect storm to handcuff the Leafs into a bad return.

1. Kessel's overpaid, contract not valuable
2. Only 1 team on his NTC list wanted him, which was Pittsburgh, who are cap strapped.
3. Pittsburgh's only viable cap dumps, Scuderi and Kunitz, both had NTC's with Toronto not on them.

Basically, we could only trade him to Pittsburgh and our only option was to retain. While I still do think the return was bad, there are at least some mitigating circumstances.

All in all, this is definitely a strike against them, but not the gigantic black mark some think it is. I'm still willing to give them trading Bozak and Phaneuf as chances at redeeming themselves. If both are underwhelming, then I'll begin to have serious doubts.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Kessel and our coaches were the biggest problem with the Leafs. We had to trade Kessel and there weren't many teams who he could be traded to... but we still got some good players in return and we didn't have to take on a bad contract.

We didn't have to take on a bad contract because we retained salary. I'd be way happier (well, less upset) with this trade if we had taken on some big cap dumps instead.

Not only was the trade bad, we don't get to move on from the badness for seven ****ing years.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
Look at how much our prospect pool has improved since the beginning of the 2014 NHL draft... If it keeps going like this I wouldn't be surprised if we're in good shape in 3-4 years, rather than 8.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
We didn't have to take on a bad contract because we retained salary. I'd be way happier (well, less upset) with this trade if we had taken on some big cap dumps instead.

Not only was the trade bad, we don't get to move on from the badness for seven ****ing years.

Both of Pittsburgh's cap dumps (Scuderi and Kunitz) had NTC's and didn't want to come here.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013

$8M is worse "badness" than $1.2M of "badness" over seven years.

Kessel fit with last year's plan, but not this year's nor going forward. If a guy doesn't fit and would potentially only get worth less, the time to let go is now. This was a buyer's market with few buyers. The results could easily have been worse.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
basically both picks are lottery protected. so if the Penguins miss the playoffs twice. we only get a 2nd.

But we also don't give up our 2nd in that scenario, so it's basically a 1st or two 2nds. It's not even worth thinking about Pitts missing the playoffs twice, and if Kessel did make them worse I'd feel bad enough for them that it wouldn't bother me too much.

How about THIS scenario for creating outrage though:

- Leafs finish last, so the pick going to PIT is #31
- PIT wins the cup, so the pick we get is #30

Kessel helps lead them to the cup and in return we move up one spot. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad