GDT: FREE AGENCY 2015 | Day #2 - What will today bring?

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
But we also don't give up our 2nd in that scenario, so it's basically a 1st or two 2nds. It's not even worth thinking about Pitts missing the playoffs twice, and if Kessel did make them worse I'd feel bad enough for them that it wouldn't bother me too much.

How about THIS scenario for creating outrage though:

- Leafs finish last, so the pick going to PIT is #31
- PIT wins the cup, so the pick we get is #30

Kessel helps lead them to the cup and in return we move up one spot. :laugh:

PIT got their second back (that we got in the Winnik deal). We still have our 2016 second.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
PIT got their second back (that we got in the Winnik deal). We still have our 2016 second.

Oh good point, I forgot. In that case the scenario needs to be tweaked slightly:

- Penguins miss the playoffs in 2016, no picks exchanged that year.
- Leafs finish last in 2017, so the pick going to PIT is #31
- PIT wins the cup in 2017, so the pick we get is #30

Just a bit more far fetched.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
I know the odds of this are super low but wow....how did we just hand that kind of super pick protection to the Pens?

With the new lottery format no team is ever going to trade an unprotected 1st again unless they have no choice (e.g. they have no pick the following year).

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
The pick going back is Pitts own 2nd round pick, the one Leafs got from the Winnik trade.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
I'm more upset about the solid draft pick we sent their way. Rutherford had us eating from the palm of his hand.

In five or six years if Pittsburgh hasn't won a cup (which they won't with their terrible depth and mediocre goaltending), and Kessel is past his prime and still eating up $6.7M in cap space while not being a very effective player, and Kapanen and Harrington are solid players in their prime everyone is suddenly going to say this was a good deal for the Leafs. Seems like a pretty balanced trade when you look at it that way - PIT looks like the winner for five years, TOR looks like the winner for five years. That's without factoring in the picks.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
With the new lottery format no team is ever going to trade an unprotected 1st again unless they have no choice (e.g. they have no pick the following year).

pretty much this. I have been saying this all day. I don't know who would do it now. (may I all remind everyone we were shocked that Rutherford didn't do it LAST year with the Edmonton pick and it nearly bit them in the butt? And we expected the exact same results?).

Again - the only small modification I personally would have made was - if they missed the playoffs twice in a row - the 2018 pick was automatically ours. sort of like the Babcock pick, but in reverse. that one is the one thing I'm curious about - however considering how complicated it sounds in explaining it, it's not like that's something you pull out of your butt before you call Central Processing at the NHL offices.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
In five or six years if Pittsburgh hasn't won a cup (which they won't with their terrible depth and mediocre goaltending), and Kessel is past his prime and still eating up $6.7M in cap space while not being a very effective player, and Kapanen and Harrington are solid players in their prime everyone is suddenly going to say this was a good deal for the Leafs. Seems like a pretty balanced trade when you look at it that way - PIT looks like the winner for five years, TOR looks like the winner for five years. That's without factoring in the picks.

Well that's what Dubas was saying. They didn't do this trade to win today. It's for the future.

If Phil wins a cup in 5 years. yay.

If we're trending in the right direction and Kapenen and Harrington (in ANY capacity, ie: in the system, traded for better prospects whatever) is a part of that, then we're winning.

that's not adding what Spaling brings, the 1st (potential) brings, (can be traded up or down, or packaged) it might suck now (for some people) but it could end up being really, really good.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Oh good point, I forgot. In that case the scenario needs to be tweaked slightly:

- Penguins miss the playoffs in 2016, no picks exchanged that year.
- Leafs finish last in 2017, so the pick going to PIT is #31
- PIT wins the cup in 2017, so the pick we get is #30

Just a bit more far fetched.

I still don't think that's correct.

We get their 3rd round 2016 pick... they get their own 2016 second back. Then we get their 1st or 2nd 2017 pick.

edit... nevermind... this is wrong

Last edited:

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Conditions from Fanager:

Conditions:
*If Pittsburgh qualifies for the 2016 postseason, Toronto will receive 2016 PIT 1 and the Penguins will receive 2016 PIT 2.

*Should Pittsburgh miss the 2016 playoffs, Toronto will INSTEAD receive 2017 PIT 1; and Pittsburgh will receive 2017 TOR 2

*If the Penguins were to miss the postseason the next two years, Toronto would receive 2017 PIT 2 and Pittsburgh would not receive a draft pick.

basically. Rutherford did not want to have no first round picks, and a mid range 2nd.
And I am gathering Toronto, which is in the process of gathering a crap tonne of picks, will not mind giving up a 2nd, because they can get some back.

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
Conditions from Fanager:

Conditions:
*If Pittsburgh qualifies for the 2016 postseason, Toronto will receive 2016 PIT 1 and the Penguins will receive 2016 PIT 2.

*Should Pittsburgh miss the 2016 playoffs, Toronto will INSTEAD receive 2017 PIT 1; and Pittsburgh will receive 2017 TOR 2

*If the Penguins were to miss the postseason the next two years, Toronto would receive 2017 PIT 2 and Pittsburgh would not receive a draft pick.

basically. Rutherford did not want to have no first round picks, and a mid range 2nd.
And I am gathering Toronto, which is in the process of gathering a crap tonne of picks, will not mind giving up a 2nd, because they can get some back.

Total bull s***.

carko32

May 14, 2014
Slovenia
Conditions from Fanager:

Conditions:

So the best case scenario for us is that penguins enter the playoffs as 8th seed in 2016, like this year, and are kicked out in first round, so we pick 16OA or 17OA, and send them their 2nd rounder, so 46/47OA. Sounds ok for me.

tooncesmeow

May 3, 2013
Melbourne, FL

AFAIK the 1st would go to Toronto if Pittsburgh makes the playoffs, which would be before the draft lottery. So if Pittsburgh makes the playoffs, it'd go to Toronto so this could feasibly happen.

>Toronto sucks ass and finishes last
>Pittsburgh's pick (Owned by TOronto since they made the playoffs) wins lottery
>Toronto picks #1 and #2.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
AFAIK the 1st would go to Toronto if Pittsburgh makes the playoffs, which would be before the draft lottery. So if Pittsburgh makes the playoffs, it'd go to Toronto so this could feasibly happen.

>Toronto sucks ass and finishes last
>Pittsburgh's pick (Owned by TOronto since they made the playoffs) wins lottery
>Toronto picks #1 and #2.

Only the non play-off teams enter the lottery.

NCoRe

Dec 30, 2007
Seinäjoki
I have a gut feeling that were going to sign Bergenheim in the next 48h. I still think we could try n sign Richards similar deal yo Hodgson and give him a chance to resurrect his career. Still the Marlies is the team to watch next season.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Well that's what Dubas was saying. They didn't do this trade to win today. It's for the future.

If Phil wins a cup in 5 years. yay.

If we're trending in the right direction and Kapenen and Harrington (in ANY capacity, ie: in the system, traded for better prospects whatever) is a part of that, then we're winning.

that's not adding what Spaling brings, the 1st (potential) brings, (can be traded up or down, or packaged) it might suck now (for some people) but it could end up being really, really good.

We could be trending in the right direction and have Phil be a part of that. If Phil in 5 years is better than Kapanen and Harrington, then we're losing. The pieces we gave up were better than the pieces we got. Keeping Phil does not preclude us from moving in the right direction. Phil could easily still be a top line winger at 31 while Kapapen being a 2nd liner and Harrington is a bottom 4 defenceman would be considered a success.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Yeah, the condition doesn't really matter.

Pens will be in the playoffs barring a MAJOR incident of some sort.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad