Player Discussion Frederik Gaudreau

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
He’s performing even worse than Rask did with Kap - Zucc. Dude should not be seen as a long-term solution for this team. He’s a bottom 6 forward and those spots should be filled with ELCs and vets on sub-$2M contracts.

This team isn’t going to be competitive if you keep giving anyone with NHL-level talent $3M.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yet another victim of losing Fiala? He was pretty ordinary for the first half of last year, but then he seemed to turn a corner when Boldy came up. I mean, he was no Boldy or Fiala, but he actually seemed to develop some offensive chops for a while there.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
He’s performing even worse than Rask did with Kap - Zucc. Dude should not be seen as a long-term solution for this team. He’s a bottom 6 forward and those spots should be filled with ELCs and vets on sub-$2M contracts.

This team isn’t going to be competitive if you keep giving anyone with NHL-level talent $3M.
A month ago you were happy with Hartman as a long term solution there when his career said that was not a long term solution either.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Yet another victim of losing Fiala? He was pretty ordinary for the first half of last year, but then he seemed to turn a corner when Boldy came up. I mean, he was no Boldy or Fiala, but he actually seemed to develop some offensive chops for a while there.

That's what having multiple scoring threats will do to a guy.

Kaprizov-Hartman-Zuccarello
Boldy-Gaudreau-Fiala

Isn't perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better than

Kaprizov-Gaudreau-Zuccarello
Greenway-Ek-Boldy

And considering we could have had the top lineup at the expense of just Dumba?

I'm sure the locker room is super fun/sunshine/rainbows right now though.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
A month ago you were happy with Hartman as a long term solution there when his career said that was not a long term solution either.
I’ve never supported the idea of Hartman being the long-term solution as a #1C, what? In a perfect world he’d be the 3RW. He’s actually proven he can work on the Kap - Zucc line though and he should remain there while we’ve got him for 2 more seasons and there being no viable replacement. If they can get Hartman re-signed cheap, great.

Gaudreau is an okay 3C and a good 4C. He may be worth $3M to some team, but that’s not a team that I think competes for a Cup. Competitive teams find budget players like Gaudreau and Hartman on their current contracts.

Reactions: TaLoN

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
That's what having multiple scoring threats will do to a guy.

Kaprizov-Hartman-Zuccarello
Boldy-Gaudreau-Fiala

Isn't perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better than

Kaprizov-Gaudreau-Zuccarello
Greenway-Ek-Boldy

And considering we could have had the top lineup at the expense of just Dumba?

I'm sure the locker room is super fun/sunshine/rainbows right now though.
Whats really annoying is that Boldy has shown up and been significantly stronger this year, and is now really effective at winning board battles which would've made that line even better. It was obvious as hell that Boldy and fiala had chemistry....I'm talking top 10 duo's in the NHL type chemistry. We could've had that for years.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Whats really annoying is that Boldy has shown up and been significantly stronger this year, and is now really effective at winning board battles which would've made that line even better. It was obvious as hell that Boldy and fiala had chemistry....I'm talking top 10 duo's in the NHL type chemistry. We could've had that for years.

The other hidden factor here is that signing Fiala to an 8 year contract would have insulated us for FOUR years if Kaprizov decides he wants to actually win when his contract is up.

At this point, if Kaprizov does leave, we are f***ed.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
The other hidden factor here is that signing Fiala to an 8 year contract would have insulated us for FOUR years if Kaprizov decides he wants to actually win when his contract is up.

Guerin didn’t want to anger our Jack Adams finalist by keeping Fiala around.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Sorry, my bad. I thought you were one of those who thought Hartman was irreplaceable on the top line entering the season. Ignore me. ;)
I think I was in the camp that said that his prior year earned him the right to start there this season, since there wasn't a clear better option available. But that has nothing to do with being ok with him being the long-term solution there.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

Top 5 picks for 2-4 years would do this team a lot of good at that point. They are not going to win until they figured out a solution at center.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Gaudreau has a role up there, less goals against for Kap & Zucc after he became 1C.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Gaudreau has a role up there, less goals against for Kap & Zucc after he became 1C.
When does the 1C actually have to contribute like they are supposed to? He fit better on a scoring 2nd line because his actual play level (3rd line) is at least closer.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
“Whats really annoying is that Boldy has shown up and been significantly stronger this year, and is now really effective at winning board battles which would've made that line even better. It was obvious as hell that Boldy and fiala had chemistry....I'm talking top 10 duo's in the NHL type chemistry. We could've had that for years.”

The Fiala mistake will probably prevent Guerin from dressing a legit SCF contender. We all knew it was dumb. It’s been made worse by the lack of contributions from Rossi, Dewar, Beckman, etc. Perhaps most alarming is that the secondary scoring Guerin was counting on to step up had already overperformed in ‘21-22 with career years across the board. Counting on a repeat from those guys, much less an increase in production, was naive to say the least.

I don’t think there was a lot of love for Fiala in the FO, but I also wonder if the fact he is an explosive wing was the main factor. Guerin sent away Zucker as soon as he could and I wonder if they feel Fiala’s value will similarly plummet when he loses a step.

The only saving grace here is that Faber looks like an amazing fit with Brodin longterm

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The only saving grace here is that Faber looks like an amazing fit with Brodin longterm

He is a good but not spectacular defenseman in college, and has yet to touch NHL ice. Kinda early to call that a saving grace. But yeah, looks like if he pans out he could anchor a second pairing with Brodin for a while.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Fred has only 10 points this year, after putting up 44 and 38 in the two years previous. I thought he was a useful middle sixer in the past with speed, some FO ability, good two way play, and amazing SO skill as a bonus.
This year he looks slower, and ineffective. Is playing like Jost … might be a bit harsh, but there it Is. I don’t know if he is playing injured, or turning 30 has turned him into a pumpkin, but his poorer play is one of the many little things that has hurt the team this year. Hard to envisage him playing with us 4-5 years now.

Reactions: BagHead

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i'd rather have an open roster spot for a hungry young player. freddy is just an avg at best bottom 6 player. please never bring up the name rask again.

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
Made sense to extend him with the thought process of moving on from Foligno and Hartman getting too much term, then our GM gave Foligno a blank cheque and Hartman gave us another discount. Doesn't help that his biggest fan is no longer his head coach.

The AAV is teetering on whether its worth to pay to dump as it is fairly small, probably just waive him if/when we need the roster spot. Wouldn't be opposed to a shorter-term higher-AAV swap this off-season, maybe Pageau from NYI? Not sold a 1-year problem like Ryjo makes sense for another team to swap rather than just buy out.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
The contract is cheap enough and long enough he’s bound to hit a decent stretch of play at the same time another team is looking for depth. He should be tradable at some point. I would not pay to be rid of him.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Hopefully Guerin can move this guy, and replace him with the cheaper, younger, Dewar, and hopefully, Marat, and Bankier in the future.
If Russo is right, however, Dewar is the guy Guerin is looking to move, not FG.

Makes about as much sense as a rat f***ing grapefruit.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
Hopefully Guerin can move this guy, and replace him with the cheaper, younger, Dewar, and hopefully, Marat, and Bankier in the future.
If Russo is right, however, Dewar is the guy Guerin is looking to move, not FG.

Makes about as much sense as a rat f***ing grapefruit.

I assume it's because Dewar has some semblance of value, while Gaudreau is negative value with his current play and term.

And don't forget the 15 team no-trade list, because of course the underperforming bottom-6 guy has one of those.

Reactions: BagHead

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I assume it's because Dewar has some semblance of value, while Gaudreau is negative value with his current play and term.

And don't forget the 15 team no-trade list, because of course the underperforming bottom-6 guy has one of those.
:laugh:

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023

There must be a way to bury him in the minors? A conditioning stint to get his game back?
He must be hurt in some way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad