Player Discussion Frederik Gaudreau

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Don't look now, but this is Freddy's final year of his 1.2M contract. He is, if not our #1C, at least our #2C. It is known that Evason loves him. FG is 29 yo(30 yo in May), and will be in line for a nice raise(4 x 4M at least?) this summer, while we are a team that will have close to a 15M cap penalty for each of the next two years, will have to pay Boldy, and are looking pretty mediocre even with Gaudreau.

Do we move Gaudreau, locker room be damned, or re-up him? With his relatively tiny cap hit, he would be easy for almost any team to absorb, so we don't have to wait till the TDL. I would think that he would have sneaky good value for playoff teams needing quality depth.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Gaudreau's a good utility player and I'd assume he'll be willing to stick around at a reasonable cap hit and term. I haven't looked at numbers recently, but losing Steel and Jost should provide whatever cap space is needed.

Who the **** is playing center above Gaudreau is a pretty neat question, but that's not his fault.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
4x4 seems steep. He's not worth that, but it's hard to quantify what he is worth because Foligno got 3.3x1 and Gaudreau plays higher up the lineup than Foligno.

3x3ish still seems decent enough for Gaudreau, even if I wish it wasn't necessary.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Freddy G is on pace for 27p... He's a nice utility bottom-6er, but not someone you spend much money on. $2m x 2 maybe up to $2.5m is about all I'd pay him.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Freddy G is on pace for 27p... He's a nice utility bottom-6er, but not someone you spend much money on. $2m x 2 maybe up to $2.5m is about all I'd pay him.
Thats' Nico Sturm money, before the cap increase. This will be Gaudreau's only chance to make some good money- he should fire his agent if he signs a contract for less than 15M.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Don't look now, but this is Freddy's final year of his 1.2M contract. He is, if not our #1C, at least our #2C. It is known that Evason loves him. FG is 29 yo(30 yo in May), and will be in line for a nice raise(4 x 4M at least?) this summer, while we are a team that will have close to a 15M cap penalty for each of the next two years, will have to pay Boldy, and are looking pretty mediocre even with Gaudreau.

Do we move Gaudreau, locker room be damned, or re-up him? With his relatively tiny cap hit, he would be easy for almost any team to absorb, so we don't have to wait till the TDL. I would think that he would have sneaky good value for playoff teams needing quality depth.
HOLY f***

*Apologies for the initial reaction but that is absolutely insane.

Last edited:

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Thats' Nico Sturm money, before the cap increase. This will be Gaudreau's only chance to make some good money- he should fire his agent if he signs a contract for less than 15M.

He's a Nico Sturm quality player...

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
He's a Nico Sturm quality player...
He is clearly not. And i like Nico.

HOLY f***

*Apologies for the initial reaction but that is absolutely insane.
Well, what do you think he is worth, as a UFA, in a year when the cap is going up by about 3M?

We are in living in a world where Tyson Jost makes 2M, Jordan Greenway 3M, and the salary cap has gone up significantly since those deals were signed.

Last edited:

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Gaudreau is a pretty ideal depth center, excellent defense and frees his line mates up to play a little looser, for a team that will be relying on ELCs and breaking new players in over the next 5 years, I think he would be a great asset to keep around. I would like to see him re-signed, but the cap hit matters a lot.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
I’d just assume fire him into the sun at this point as long as it means Dean doesn’t have the opportunity to put him anywhere near players that matter.

More than he’s at now is a mistake. Higher AAV than Foligno, Greenway, and Hartman is nonsensical.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Well, what do you think he is worth, as a UFA, in a year when the cap is going up by about 3M?

We are in living in a world where Tyson Jost makes 2M, Jordan Greenway 3M, and the salary cap has gone up significantly since those deals were signed.

1 for 1 trade with the same contract I'd take Sturm every time. He's younger, bigger, faster, more physical, has a better shot, and wins more FOs.

Haula is on a $2.4m contract, Domi and AA are $3m in CHI. Freddy G isn't better than any of them. Instead of overpaying a 30yo 4th liner, use that money and sign a better player, but the coach and GM seem to love him, so some stupid overpay is probably in order.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
4-5 years, $2-2.5M per year.

If he wants more, he can go find it somewhere. You can't pay him too much because every other move that we should be making should be looking to push him down the lineup. We should only pay him what we'd be comfortable paying him if he was our #4C, his time as our #1C and #2C be damned.

Reactions: Soldier13Fox

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I really like Gaudreau, but the most I'd give him is about $2.5M per year on a 4 year contract. He'll be 34 years old when it ends. I think he's earned that much term and money, but not more than that. I wouldn't want to sign a guy of his skill to a contract past 35.

Jesus comma Brodin

Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota

$2.25M with term.

I’m so confused, he’s a 4th liner on a good team. He was clearly carried by his linemates last year and cannot do a thing on his own.

Reactions: AKL

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
$2.25M with term.

I’m so confused, he’s a 4th liner on a good team. He was clearly carried by his linemates last year and cannot do a thing on his own.
I'd say he was an excellent compliment to his linemates last year, rather than was carried by them, but I certainly agree with the rest of your point. He's no longer in the situation he was last year, unfortunately, so I don't expect the same results.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'd say he was an excellent compliment to his linemates last year, rather than was carried by them, but I certainly agree with the rest of your point. He's no longer in the situation he was last year, unfortunately, so I don't expect the same results.
I have a hard time calling someone a 'compliment' when they're so clearly the 3rd best player on a line, but maybe that's just semantics.

Jesus comma Brodin

Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
I think its fair to say he was a compliment to that line, but I also feel like anyone with a pulse could have produced with that line, but it isn't like he hurt that line by any means.

But he's currently pacing 18 points playing with Kaprizov and Zucc and getting PP time in every game. Some of that is matchup based due to his linemates and some of it is that he's just not a talented player, nor he is worth even a sniff of anything north of $2.25M.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
I really like Gaudreau, but the most I'd give him is about $2.5M per year on a 4 year contract. He'll be 34 years old when it ends. I think he's earned that much term and money, but not more than that. I wouldn't want to sign a guy of his skill to a contract past 35.
I like him too - he's an extremely useful bandage player. If a player goes down, you can throw Gaudreau on any line center or wing. If a key player has to go to the box, throw in Gaudreau. He can play 2nd PP or any PK unit. Can jump in an offensive line or a defensive line as a stop gap. This is extremely useful for any coach

Problem is, keyword is bandage. If he kept up closer to a 35point pace, I would be willing to go 3x3 contract.

But that said - keep in mind our cap situation and he's trending downwards. If I was GM, I would negotiate hard for a 2.5mil max saying we are tight on cap and he's not going to get the same ice time on any other team since Evason isn't coaching there.

Reactions: BagHead

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I think its fair to say he was a compliment to that line, but I also feel like anyone with a pulse could have produced with that line, but it isn't like he hurt that line by any means.

But he's currently pacing 18 points playing with Kaprizov and Zucc and getting PP time in every game. Some of that is matchup based due to his linemates and some of it is that he's just not a talented player, nor he is worth even a sniff of anything north of $2.25M.
Yeah, that's kinda what I was getting at. He was a compliment because of the chemistry he had with Fiala specifically, and Boldy secondarily. I don't think he has that chemistry with Kaprizov and Zuccarello, and I wouldn't pay him to be a 40 point forward.

Reactions: Jesus comma Brodin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad