Injury Report: Frederik Andersen UPD - Practiced Monday

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Just getting up slowly after a head hit is enough to pull a player out for further testing. if he passed the test he would be able to come back. Here's a list of reasons a player gets pulled.

"The new protocol requires that the player be evaluated by a physician if he exhibits any of the following:
Loss of consciousness
Motor incoordination/balance problems
Slow to get up following a hit to the head
Blank or vacant look
Disorientation
Clutching the head after a hit
Visible facial injury in combination with any of the above
The physician will perform the evaluation in “…a quiet place free from distraction†(i.e. not the bench), and will use a standardized assessment tool – the NHL SCAT 2 (sports concussion assessment tool)."
from http://obia.ca/new-nhl-concussion-guidelines-lets-get-the-doctor-involved/

It is weird though. It seems any medical personnel placed in that role or any official can put players into protocol, but it also says the suspected player may not return until approved by his team's doctor. I don't know if that's an oversight in wording and any of the doctors can pass him, or if it really means only the players team doctors can approve it. It seems like a pretty big loophole if there's a dozen people who can pull a player out of a game, but only the team doctor, that doesn't travel with the team all the time, can ok them to come back.

All goalies have a blank or vacant look.

Keato

Apr 9, 2016
Winnipeg, MB
I would really like it if we could find out what is going on earlier than Monday. Not gonna happen, but it would make sleeping easier.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
I believe mcbackup can do this if need be.

2q1v508.gif

2zexj0n.jpg

Rick74*

Oct 7, 2016
London, Ont

Dude...he has played pretty well since coming here for a guy that doesn't get to play on regular basis and incase you didn't realize their is a direct correlation between the Leafs defensive play versus how well the goalies perform. Andersen included.

If the Leafs are strong defensively in front of McBackup, he will be just fine for a few games.

RELAX.

I'd certainly rather take my chances with him than bring in a new guy who doesn't have a clue about our defensive tendencies and as such will likely **** up coordinating with our team once or twice before settling in.

Last edited:

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
Watching both those hits...Not saying I'm right but during the "Kane" hit. Gionta #12 for the sabre slashes Andy on the glove side wrist. Not once but twice pretty good. The first one is a tomahawk overhand across the glove hand. May be a Ubi they are looking at his wrist after discomfort after the 1st.

And for the record. I'm tired of all you doomsayers. We can do this

Not sure my self if it happened on the Gionta play, but this guy is a total goalie hacker. He's done this throughout his career. Iirc he ran Reimer on a dirty net drive and elbowed him in the head causing him to miss time. Seen him do it on other occasions. Anyway it's just frustrating.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I highly doubt Buffalo cheated by getting their doctor to pull Andersen guys :laugh:...they take an oath that would prevent this

Hoping Andersen is alright, he's been doing wonders for my fantasy team.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I highly doubt Buffalo cheated by getting their doctor to pull Andersen guys :laugh:...they take an oath that would prevent this

Hoping Andersen is alright, he's been doing wonders for my fantasy team.

You ever see any given Sunday lol

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
In the end will presume the Leafs will try everything they can to stabilize things. The best option is Andersen being ok to get back in the net on Tuesday. Fingers crossed it isn't serious enough to make him miss more time than he has.

Otherwise....yeah consider all options. Even if the playoffs aren't an option getting a goalie to help out for the next 8 games has value considering the need for points down the stretch. Not the first option, but one that probably has to be explored.

A lot riding on how Andersen is doing.
I would really like it if we could find out what is going on earlier than Monday. Not gonna happen, but it would make sleeping easier.
That's for sure.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
If it's a concussion, no way he returns that quickly.

Even a "mild one" requires a symptom free progression through a variety of tests and that takes days of not weeks.

Even if so, there is no need to jump to conclusions and say that the Leafs are done. Let's see how they do.

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
If andersen is out for a while they should trade for bishop lol. LA is done.

Give them a 3rd or 4th to recoup some assets and save our season.

Last edited:

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
If andersen is out for a while they should trade for bishop lol. LA is done.

Give them a 3rd or 4th to recoup some assets and save our season.
We won't be trading for a goalie so we can pack up that idea
My bet is, he plays on Tuesday night.

He will have to be symptom free for a week. My bet would be that he doesn't play until Saturday or the game after that (buffalo again)

RASHBEEP

Sep 18, 2010
Leafs had a poor defensive game yesterday. They've been much better during the winning stretch, so if they get back to that they'll be fine with Mcelhinney or Sparks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad