Freddy ranked 9th in NHL.com's list of top 10 goaltenders

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
IMO a touch high, I have him around 10-15, but not far off.

Bob and Holtby at 1 and 2 though? If I could have any goalie on the Leafs, next year only, Bob wouldn’t make my top 3, and Holtby wouldn’t make my top 5.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Best goalie we've had since Belfour. Period. There's a reason everyone around the league says we aren't good in our own end, because we haven't been. Looking to see if we can get the shots down a bit this year. Come playoffs though, Andersen has no more mulligans, he has to take the next step...don't see why he won't if he is handled properly and we aren't running around in front of him. Freddie isn't the elite of elite, but he's good enough to win with imho.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
f*** yes he tanked well! (I like Freddy, a lot. when he's on his game he's one of the best, just gotta get him started earlier somehow.)

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Best goalie we've had since Belfour. Period. There's a reason everyone around the league says we aren't good in our own end, because we haven't been. Looking to see if we can get the shots down a bit this year. Come playoffs though, Andersen has no more mulligans, he has to take the next step...don't see why he won't if he is handled properly and we aren't running around in front of him. Freddie isn't the elite of elite, but he's good enough to win with imho.
Dude's putting up with shot totals guys like Cujo faced in St Louis back in teh day. I'm sure some stats nerd will correct me (actually he's only facing 95.318574867500000) of what Cujo faced but whatever.

With an average D we're in the mix.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
Freddy is a very good goalie. When he's on he looks nearly unbeatable.

But he does have too many WTF moments, doesn't get enough help from the Toronto D and was probably overplayed last year.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Freddy certainly plays like and is forced to play like a top 10 goalie at times.

He saves the Leafs defense that gives up the 3rd most shots/scoring chances in the league and it forces Freddy to steal games, which he does.

Andersen 3.86 GAA/g and .898 sv% in the playoffs would put his top 10 status in jeopardy for me. That goals against average and sv% placed him 16th in both categories among the 16 playoff teams.

Last edited:

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
No way Hellebuyck or Rask are better then Andersen. One has one season under his belt that was above average, and the other buckles just as much under pressure as Andersen. I'm ok with the other though. Andersen should ranked #7 on that list.

Reactions: DanM

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I love how Helle was trash last year in the Peg, and has less of a track record than Freddy, but is rated that high.

Some people lol

No way Hellebuyck or Rask are better then Andersen. One has one season under his belt that was above average, and the other buckles just as much under pressure as Andersen. I'm ok with the other though. Andersen should ranked #7 on that list.

FYI ...

Hellebuyck was named a 2017-18 Vezina Trophy finalist as the league's top goaltender, finishing 2nd to Pekka Rinne for the award.

He also finished 13th in Hart Trophy balloting as NHL Most Valuable Player, as well as was named the the NHL 2nd All-star team after winning 44 games.

2017-18 All-Star Teams
1st Team
T.Hall ** C.McDavid ** N.Kucherov ** D.Doughty ** V.Hedman ** P.Rinne

2nd Team
C.Giroux ** N.MacKinnon ** B.Wheeler ** S.Jones ** P.K. Subban ** C.Hellebuyck

How does Andersen compare?

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
FYI ...

Hellebuyck was named a 2017-18 Vezina Trophy finalist as the league's top goaltender, finishing 2nd to Pekka Rinne for the award.

He also finished 13th in Hart Trophy balloting as NHL Most Valuable Player, as well as was named the the NHL 2nd All-star team after winning 44 games.

2017-18 All-Star Teams
1st Team
T.Hall ** C.McDavid ** N.Kucherov ** D.Doughty ** V.Hedman ** P.Rinne

2nd Team
C.Giroux ** N.MacKinnon ** B.Wheeler ** S.Jones ** P.K. Subban ** C.Hellebuyck

How does Andersen compare?

I know where he finished, and Andy was 4th in voting.

I am not saying Helle was not good last year, but Anderson has been doing it a few more years.

Andy was good in Anaheim for the ducks and for the Leafs after. Before last year Helle was trash per every Winnipeg poster. Helle having 1 great year does not beat a tender who has been better longer.

Now if he goes out and does it again, I will agree with you pretty easily. That's all I am saying.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017

I like Rask, but Helle is what bothers me.

This is the same Helle that was sent to the minors, and the same Helle that Jets fans wanted out. He has one above average season, and he is all of a sudden a top goalie?

Yeah, I don't think so. If he has another year like last year, than it's more of a case.

Reactions: Elephanto

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
I like Rask, but Helle is what bothers me.

This is the same Helle that was sent to the minors, and the same Helle that Jets fans wanted out. He has one above average season, and he is all of a sudden a top goalie?

Yeah, I don't think so. If he has another year like last year, than it's more of a case.

Agreed, remember when Steve Mason won the calder and everyone thought he was going to be a top goalie? I’d really like to see at least another consistent season before I declare him one of the best in the league.

Reactions: DanM

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
That's about right.

Freddy is severely undervalued by Leafs fans. He's certainly the type of goalie that a legit team can ride to the cup.

He's a notoriously slow starter and he battled some injuries last year (missed some time prior to playoffs) so I'd argue we didn't see peak Andersen last season.

Reactions: saltming

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Agreed, remember when Steve Mason won the calder and everyone thought he was going to be a top goalie? I’d really like to see at least another consistent season before I declare him one of the best in the league.

Agreed

Or Andrew Raycroft who also won that award, and we all know how that story ends.

Reactions: Elephanto

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Helly has to prove it to me for a couple more seasons before he is rated that high.

One great season doesn't mean hes in the top 5 sorry not in my books. Where's Crawford on this list? Or Price?

I guess its all about what have you done for me lately with that list. But I would take both of those goalies before Helly in a heartbeat.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Dude's putting up with shot totals guys like Cujo faced in St Louis back in teh day. I'm sure some stats nerd will correct me (actually he's only facing 95.318574867500000) of what Cujo faced but whatever.

With an average D we're in the mix.

Yeah, it's always annoying when "nerds" use "facts". Real men just say whatever they want to be true.

Reactions: The Rat King

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
What? No reimer?
:sarcasm:
Its strange he isnt on the list. I mean 31 teams dont want him as a starter, end of season callapses, and outperformed by a 40 year old Loungo.
Yet stats show he has comparable stats to Freddy, it represents that the numbers dont show the entire picture, and teams fail with Reimer in net.

Last edited:
Reactions: saltming

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Did you mean to put a :sarcasm: at the end of your post?
I am not a person who easily dismisses the disaster of the last playoffs. Say what you want about Reimer but great goalies don't end up with a sub 900 sv% over 7 games.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I am not a person who easily dismisses the disaster of the last playoffs. Say what you want about Reimer but great goalies don't end up with a sub 900 sv% over 7 games.
I think for his career Freddie has a .912sv% but I'm guessing.
What about the Washington series? He had some good games there too

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Its strange he isnt on the list. I mean 31 teams dont want him as a starter, end of season callapses, and outperformed by a 40 year old Loungo.
Yet stats show he has comparable stats to Freddy, it represents that the numbers dont show the entire picture, and teams fail with Reimer in net.
Don't forget too when Loungo went down last year Reims the great lost the starting gig to the third string minor league goalie. Money.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Helly has to prove it to me for a couple more seasons before he is rated that high.

One great season doesn't mean hes in the top 5 sorry not in my books. Where's Crawford on this list? Or Price?

I guess its all about what have you done for me lately with that list. But I would take both of those goalies before Helly in a heartbeat.

funny thing is Holtby the number 2 rated goalie in the world according to this list, lost his starters job by the end of the regular season as Grubauer started games 1 and 2 vs Columbus in the playoffs while Holtby sat on the bench, but price went from the unanimous #1 goalie in the world to not even in the top 10 in 1 injury plagued season?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad