Celebrity Death: Fred Willard 86

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
I saw him at some batting cages in LA maybe 12 years ago. Dude was in the 70mph zone with nothing but these swimsuit lookin short shorts and tennis shoes on. He was absolutely crushing it on the baseball front and really seemed to be enjoying his life. RIP

Any chance the batting cages were in the Valley (?)
Seeing him pedalling in to my old place in Encino, I assumed he lived in the Encino Hills (or nearby). Like u state, he seemed to be enjoying a grounded life, and was immersed in his community, not trying to isolate from it (like some celebrities)..

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
For the last year or two he's done some bits with the Jimmy Kimmel show and the character he was playing would always have shaky hands and he didn't look well. It's too bad he'll be missed.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Anyone who wants to see a master at work needs to watch Best In Show. Most of the dialogue in the movie is improvised, which is why Fred Willard steals the #### out of every scene he is in.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Anyone who wants to see a master at work needs to watch Best In Show. Most of the dialogue in the movie is improvised, which is why Fred Willard steals the #### out of every scene he is in.

I'm watching it right now for the first time in nearly 20 years. Besides being surprised that it's that old, I'm surprised that Willard doesn't show up until halfway through and is in it for only a half hour, yet he steals the movie and is what most people (including me) remember best about it. Knowing that his lines are mostly improvised makes his scenes even funnier this time around. Whenever he speaks, I can't take my eyes off of the British actor who's sitting alongside him and trying his hardest not to laugh.

Last edited:

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
This was the last show I saw him on, I think You Should Leave (I recommend it, it's on Netflix). I thought even for 80 he looks really bad, turns out he flubbed his age for acting purposes and was actually 86, meaning he was 85 when shooting this, which makes more sense.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
This really sucks to hear. Not surprising given his age, but I wish this had received more media attention. The guy was a comedic legend on the screen. He's funny in everything and was in EVERYTHING. One of my favorites.

RIP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad