Frazer MacLaren lately

cynicism

Aug 13, 2008
He's useless, even by goon standards. That he draws a six figure salary is a disgrace.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Waste of a roster spot IMO. Waive him
We have enough toughness with Clarkson, Gleason, Bodie

We could put together a 4th line that actually contributes, and play Orr only when needed

Pinto

Kings of the North!
Aug 28, 2003
Port Dover, Ontario
With guys like Broll and Devane who can fight and play hockey, the fourth line will be able to play more than 10m a game w/o costing us. However, they will have to build a rep first in order to deter others from taking runs. Probably one of orr or mclaren will stick around as the old guard until the new guard is initiated.

That's exactly what I see happening actually. I think Orr will be here until Broll or Devane (or hopefully both) show they are ready.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
FML's going to knock someone out in a few weeks and we'll all go back to loving him

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
Pummeled? lmao Kassian threw 2 weak punches at his helmet then he slipped

I don't know what lately would even imply considering he's missed like 10 games in a row before Saturday

He was actually very effective when the 4th line was something like D'Amigo-Holland-Mclaren a few weeks ago but of course Carlyle only played them like 5 minutes

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Terrible terrible player.

I can't say I agree with this...

Anyone being paid under $1M/season shouldn't be expected to put up Crosby numbers... what exactly do you want from guys on that kind of contract?

His job is to hit the opposing team, and end the shift with an offensive zone faceoff.

It's not like they need him to score 40 goals a season to justify the paycheck...

If he can also manage to lure a better player into off-setting minors or, ideally, a fight and then it's 5 mins without a better player for the other team, that's a good move as well...

Heck, if the Leafs are getting crunched then just fighting a guy laying a lot of the hits and keeping that player off the ice for 5-10 mins is a good play.

Maybe a good +/- but that's harder to gauge.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
Not sure if he's planning on winning a fight this year. Last season he was a destroyer for us. Not sure what happened. Could be just bad luck.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Is one big fight a year worth keeping him around?

Of course not, but with his cap hit and the fact that his presence alone helps in keeping our guys safe (I think this aspect is put up on a pedestal around here, but it is still true) makes it hard for me to hate him. It's hard to find your groove as a player when you're getting under 10 minutes a night every couple of games.

If we really need the cap space he can be the first one to get waived. If nobody picks him up then his cap hit is off the books.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
Pummeled? He didnt even get punched I dont think. dont know why the refs stepped in

Pretty much this.... Guy has the balance of a deer on ice and as many have already stated why the ref stepped in I have no idea. It was a nothing fight unless people want to give the slip as a win to Kassian ?

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
A.
The refs interfering and causing traffic before the fight, had nothing to do with what happened during he fight. McClaren has been less than impressive this year and I agree that it has a lot to do with balance and being the easier opponent to take down...

B.
Again in Leaf land, fans judge players by their stats. If it wasn't for McLaren in Orr being in that lineup Sens, including Neal would have been all over the Leafs. All it takes is the mere presence of players. Some of you guys don't get it and never will.

He was never pummeled, he slipped after both players were trying to get space from the stripes. Again, get a grips of yourselves.

Hmm, two very different views. I'm going with B. ;)

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
He just isn't the same as last year. Plus nobody fights us this year, so he seems useless.

PureTruculence

Jan 23, 2014
He didn't get pummeled, simply lost his footing. Stupid zebras were trying to break it up too.

The only thing I am pissed about is that he stole a fight from Orr lol. It was his first game back in a while though, it would be hard to catch your stride in one game back especially getting 4th line minutes.

Leaf Shaker

Aug 25, 2005
You call that a fight, let alone pummeling?

Sounds like an excuse to pick on someone cause cannot find anything else to be bitter about.

thunderhawk905*

Again in Leaf land, fans judge players by their stats. If it wasn't for McLaren in Orr being in that lineup Sens, including Neal would have been all over the Leafs. All it takes is the mere presence of players. Some of you guys don't get it and never will.

He was never pummeled, he slipped after both players were trying to get space from the stripes. Again, get a grips of yourselves.

Neal wasn't all over the Leafs because he was too busy scoring 2 goals and potting an assist.

Orr/McLaren were irrelevant in the game, let's face it. Yes, you're right all it takes is the mere presence of "players" sometimes to calm things down, but at the same time when the other team isn't engaging in that type of play...they are essentially useless. Atleast having both of them in the lineup.

cynicism

Aug 13, 2008
I can't say I agree with this...

His job is to hit the opposing team, and end the shift with an offensive zone faceoff.

It's not like they need him to score 40 goals a season to justify the paycheck...

If he can also manage to lure a better player into off-setting minors or, ideally, a fight and then it's 5 mins without a better player for the other team, that's a good move as well...

Heck, if the Leafs are getting crunched then just fighting a guy laying a lot of the hits and keeping that player off the ice for 5-10 mins is a good play.

Maybe a good +/- but that's harder to gauge.

1. He doesn't do that. He can't hit guys because he's slower than a snail in molasses. Because he can't skate he can't forecheck, which means no offensive zone faceoffs.

2. No, but he does need to play an effective shift to justify his salary. He can't even do that.

3. When has he ever drawn penalties? Teams are specifically not engaging the goons, making him and knorr useless and harmful.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
Neal wasn't all over the Leafs because he was too busy scoring 2 goals and potting an assist.

Orr/McLaren were irrelevant in the game, let's face it. Yes, you're right all it takes is the mere presence of "players" sometimes to calm things down, but at the same time when the other team isn't engaging in that type of play...they are essentially useless. Atleast having both of them in the lineup.

I guess you and many others forget the context of the game. Sens at that point didnt need to play that game, they were winning. It was us trying to drum up some emotion and guess what. It worked!

We won. End of story. Move on and when someone is coming down your back you will be glad to know Orr and McLaren are their to watch your backside.

Wheels

Aug 22, 2004
We won. End of story. Move on and when someone is coming down your back you will be glad to know Orr and McLaren are their to watch your backside.

When was the last time you saw Orr or McLaren fight someone so that another guy on the Leafs wouldn't have to drop the gloves?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad