Frazer MacLaren lately

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
What was up with MacLaren getting pummeled by Kassian the last game. That was not cool, the guy just hasn't been the same this year. I used to really like him and the toughness he provided last year but he just hasn't been the same at all. He used to be an effective 4th liner, not a bad skater pretty decent actually and could beat anyone's ass. I thought this guy would be a decent 4th liner and be able to chip in an odd 3-5 goals a year.

Pretty disappointed in him so far this season, is he nursing an injury? I don't know but he has been a let down

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Did he get pummelled? The fight was hardly worth a second viewing but from what I recall McLaren went down quickly and it looked like that was partially due to losing his footing.

In any case, I'm not one opposed to keeping him a healthy scratch.

Wasn't he the one that broke his finger or something earlier in the season? Maybe that could be why he's not engaging often.

Shaun_W_W

Jan 7, 2007
I thought he slipped on a puck or something. You're right though, last year he looked like a solid 4th liner and dominate fighter but this year he doesn't even look like he should be on an NHL roster.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
That fight on Saturday was complete bull ****. Neither McLaren nor Kassian wanted the refs to intervene and stop the fight. Which for whatever reason they were trying to do, despite both being willing combatants. Stupid zebras. McLaren was forced to engage up close too fast for his liking, and it lasted all of five seconds. ****ing refs need to stop treating players like children and let them go at it when two players are rearing and ready to go.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
What was up with MacLaren getting pummeled by Kassian the last game. That was not cool, the guy just hasn't been the same this year. I used to really like him and the toughness he provided last year but he just hasn't been the same at all. He used to be an effective 4th liner, not a bad skater pretty decent actually and could beat anyone's ass. I thought this guy would be a decent 4th liner and be able to chip in an odd 3-5 goals a year.

Pretty disappointed in him so far this season, is he nursing an injury? I don't know but he has been a let down

I laughed at the ref chasing mclaren And kassian, doing his best to get between them. After the fight, you can read mclarens lips, he says to the ref "what were you doing?".

I think it's pretty clear that the refs have been told to get between staged fights this year.

Oh and mclaren didn't lose, but I agree he's easy to knock off balance.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Should he be playing every night? No and he's not. The way he's been used this season has been fine. Obviously not a regular, but a good guy to have around when extra muscle is required.

thunderhawk905*

The refs interfering and causing traffic before the fight, had nothing to do with what happened during he fight. McClaren has been less than impressive this year and I agree that it has a lot to do with balance and being the easier opponent to take down...

My Sweet Shadow

Sep 5, 2008
Sioux Lookout, ON

Definitely wasn't a "pummeling"...it wasn't much of a fight in general; neither of them got in any real punches before he lost his balance.

Really? MacLaren just returned after missing 8 games with a shoulder injury.

deleteme24

Leafs for cup
Sep 20, 2009
Leafs Nation
Looks like we even haven't won a fight at all this year. Orr and Mclaren really disappoint me, but so did Devane, Bodie, etc..

Last year it seemed like we would kick anyone's butt, but this season is a lot different. Doesn't change the momentum of the game as much I think.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Top of the list for being Waived, IMO.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Best part of the Kassian/MacLaren fight was right before it when McLaren totally ignored the play around him to try and instigate. Thank god it wasn't in the defensive zone.

Last edited:

Saul Goodman

Attorney at law
Dec 12, 2009
Toronto
Looks like we even haven't won a fight at all this year. Orr and Mclaren really disappoint me, but so did Devane, Bodie, etc..

Last year it seemed like we would kick anyone's butt, but this season is a lot different. Doesn't change the momentum of the game as much I think.
A lot of teams took notice last year and aren't engaging Orr and McLaren nearly as much this year. Coaches realized getting those 2 involved just swings the momentum our way. It also doesn't help that we don't have a guy like Komarov finishing every check and chirping the other team all night.

Metal God

Aug 12, 2010
Toronto
Pummeled?

To me it looked like the refs were in his way, he tried to get around them while they kept interfering. Threw him off imo.

You could see him giving to the refs after the fight. Looked like he was complaining about them in the way.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
He sucks. Period. He's a detriment to the team when he's on the ice. Pathetic that we resigned him. Should never see the ice.

Frelimo

Jul 6, 2012
Toronto
A lot of teams took notice last year and aren't engaging Orr and McLaren nearly as much this year. Coaches realized getting those 2 involved just swings the momentum our way. It also doesn't help that we don't have a guy like Komarov finishing every check and chirping the other team all night.

I agree we miss Komarov but the guy barely chirped, if ever, which I think made him even more of an agitator. He would hit you, and then when you try to engage he'd just skate away and say nothing.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
Again in Leaf land, fans judge players by their stats. If it wasn't for McLaren in Orr being in that lineup Sens, including Neal would have been all over the Leafs. All it takes is the mere presence of players. Some of you guys don't get it and never will.

He was never pummeled, he slipped after both players were trying to get space from the stripes. Again, get a grips of yourselves.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Again in Leaf land, fans judge players by their stats. If it wasn't for McLaren in Orr being in that lineup Sens, including Neal would have been all over the Leafs. All it takes is the mere presence of players. Some of you guys don't get it and never will.

He was never pummeled, he slipped after both players were trying to get space from the stripes. Again, get a grips of yourselves.

Orr can stay but with the emergence of Bodie, McLaren isn't needed.

Agree with the "pummeled" part, I don't think a punch landed.

Wami

Chicken Lyfe'
Mar 8, 2013
He's really dropped the ball this year, injuries haven't helped his case, but there is something definitely off. I think he is a glue type guy though, seems to always be hanging out with the guys and part of the core social group. Teammates would probably be pretty bummed to see him go.

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
With guys like Broll and Devane who can fight and play hockey, the fourth line will be able to play more than 10m a game w/o costing us. However, they will have to build a rep first in order to deter others from taking runs. Probably one of orr or mclaren will stick around as the old guard until the new guard is initiated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad