Injury Report: Franzen will miss the Olympics

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think it's incurance companies who will pay bigger part of the salary...

Depends, most insure the first 6 or 7 years. Now in Franzen's case his contract value goes down sharply in the years this will probably impact anyway. But I doubt that full length of that contract is insured, that was a part of why they were dying on a hill even if people hated that, it was pretty important from an insurance point of view with the owners.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I guess we're all a bit biased with Nyquist, but looking at him objectivly.... Compare Nyquist to Canada's third line players... it's like men against a boy.
Canada's 3rd line players are not available as injury replacements for Team Sweden. Gus is probably the best option available taking into account skill, chemistry, current performance etc.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Getting Gus to Olympics would be awesome. More experience of games at highest possible level.

I'll take that "trade" for Mule any day.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
At this point, they should just hold everyone back. Sure it's larger ice and the likelihood of injuries are slimmer, but they need to just rest and get everyone healthy.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
This is great news. Hopefully Datsyuk is next to drop out, but I really don't see that happening.

Last edited:

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
What? How is it not good news? You want Franzen to play for his National team with concussion like symptoms? It's good news that he now gets to rest and get healthy, and not have to worry about the Olympics.

By that logic, why are you hoping for Datsyuk to drop out? How do you know that he's hurt to the point where he shouldn't be playing in a week and a half or whenever it is the Olympics start?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
What? How is it not good news? You want Franzen to play for his National team with concussion like symptoms? It's good news that he now gets to rest and get healthy, and not have to worry about the Olympics.

It means his concussion symptoms have returned and are severe enough to take him out of the Olympics. How long was Eaves out with his concussion? Pronger's career is essentially over except for the paperwork. Ditto Marc Savard. At some point it could become a question of not when he gets healthy, but if he gets healthy.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
By that logic, why are you hoping for Datsyuk to drop out? How do you know that he's hurt to the point where he shouldn't be playing in a week and a half or whenever it is the Olympics start?

I think if datsyuk dosent play in any DRW games before the break but suddenly becomes healthy enough to play the very next day in sochi then we have a problem.

if he is back and healthy and playing for us then he deserves to go and play in the olympics, to this I agree with KH.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think if datsyuk dosent play in any DRW games before the break but suddenly becomes healthy enough to play the very next day in sochi then we have a problem.

if he is back and healthy and playing for us then he deserves to go and play in the olympics, to this I agree with KH.

I can't hold it against Datsyuk if he goes and plays injured. I didn't hold it against Yzerman in '02, I just can't do it now. It's a rare opportunity, it's in his home nation, and he's the captain. It's literally a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I can't hold it against Datsyuk if he goes and plays injured. I didn't hold it against Yzerman in '02, I just can't do it now. It's a rare opportunity, it's in his home nation, and he's the captain. It's literally a once in a lifetime opportunity.

I would definitely hold it against him, and be extremely upset, and question his commitment to the Wings. The Red Wings are paying him 6.7 million dollars this year to play hockey, team Russia isn't. I never in a million years thought I would say this, but I actually hope NHL players no longer go to the Olympics. This year we are fighting for our playoff lives and dealing with a large amount of injuries. I will not be happy if Datsyuk misses x amount of games for the Wings, only to go play for team Russia. This is just my opinion, not everyone will agree with it, but if he is too injured to play for the Wings, then he should be too injured to play for Russia.

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
I didn't hold it against Yzerman in '02, I just can't do it now.

I know a number of people who did.

Not making a judgement here; just pointing out that this sort of speculation and resentment with regard to NHL players and the Olympics is not a recent phenomenon.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada

I'm hoping for Datsyuk to drop out because frankly I don't give a **** about the Olympics. I'm a Red Wings fan, not a Team Canada fan (I'm Canadian). I would take a Wings Cup over a Canada Gold medal 100 out of 100 times. Again, this is just my opinion, but I watch 82 Red Wings games a year because they are who I cheer for. I don't care about International hockey.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I would definitely hold it against him, and be extremely upset, and question his commitment to the Wings. The Red Wings are paying him 6.7 million dollars this year to play hockey, team Russia isn't. I never in a million years thought I would say this, but I actually hope NHL players no longer go to the Olympics. This year we are fighting for our playoff lives and dealing with a large amount of injuries. I will not be happy if Datsyuk misses x amount of games for the Wings, only to go play for team Russia. This is just my opinion, not everyone will agree with it, but if he is too injured to play for the Wings, then he should be too injured to play for Russia.

I'm not big on the Olympics, and I wouldn't mind going back to sending the kids. I don't think they sell the game much in the states, either, especially when the networks tape delay games 12 hours as if we don't have the internet to know what's going on. Datsyuk's given us a lot of good years, though. And these olympics are likely a huge deal to him. I'd rather he be playing for the Wings, but feeling the necessity to suit up for his country is just entirely understandable to me.

I know a number of people who did.

Not making a judgement here; just pointing out that this sort of speculation and resentment with regard to NHL players and the Olympics is not a recent phenomenon.

I'm sure more than a few were, and are, around here. :D This isn't something I expect much agreement on, though. I almost want to be angry if Datsyuk plays and is out longer or ineffective for us, but I just can't do it. Just like I couldn't do it with Yzerman. We pay his salary, but he's given a lot to us over the years. For me, they've earned the benefit of the doubt.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
On the flip side I am pretty sure Z is killing his back for us over the last month and change. I don't know that he got back to 100%, he got back to being healthy enough to lay it all on the line for the Wings. Needed a break and is throwing himself right back in, not that I need to admire him anymore:laugh:, but man what a leader.

Amrcn Ftbll

Quincey 4 prez 2k16
Jan 22, 2014
ypsi
I can't blame datsyuk either. I'm sure it's an entirely different feeling playing for your country than playing for a team in a city and a country you didn't spend the majority of your life in.
It sucks for us, but for him personally it has to be a huge deal. He's probably never going to play in the olympics after this with his age, and this year he gets to be captain.
Plus winning a medal for russia would definitely be a huge boost for him mentally, which could absolutely help the wings in the long run.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Canada's 3rd line players are not available as injury replacements for Team Sweden. Gus is probably the best option available taking into account skill, chemistry, current performance etc.

Based on current performance, then Backlund is maybe the best option.

Chemistry wise (which seem important to Mårts), Nyquist is way ahead of Backlund of course, but you also got Johansson (chemistry possible with Bäckström).

Skill should be put in context on team needs...perhaps Hörnqvist (good on redirects, right handed) is a player type that might replace Franzens player type.

So one of Hörnqvist, Nyqvist, Johannsson and maybe Backlund it will be. Not really sure whom I'd like too see, maybe DRW already got enough players in the Olympics now...

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
I can't blame datsyuk either. I'm sure it's an entirely different feeling playing for your country than playing for a team in a city and a country you didn't spend the majority of your life in.
It sucks for us, but for him personally it has to be a huge deal. He's probably never going to play in the olympics after this with his age, and this year he gets to be captain.
Plus winning a medal for russia would definitely be a huge boost for him mentally, which could absolutely help the wings in the long run.

I can imagen that both Datsyuk and Z feel pressure from both the Wings and from the national team. They are probably well aware that people expect them to play, both in Detroit, Russia/Sweden.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

I don't ever consider it good news to hear a Red Wings player is injured to the point where they won't be back for a considerable amount of time.

This isn't "good" news by any stretch of the imagination.

shultzyfeelinirie20

Jan 30, 2012
Michigan
Franzen? what happens to him?

if he can no longer play what happens to his contract/caphit and what do the wings do to fill his void? he has that cap friendly hit and is good for those 20plus goals and is clutch in the playoffs if hes done will it hurt us that bad?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad