Injury Report: Franzen will miss the Olympics

Aug 6, 2012
It would really hurt losing him, but wouldn't hurt us cap-wise. We'd just do what Boston and Philly are doing with Savard and Pronger. Keep him on LTIR till his contract is up.

Amrcn Ftbll

Quincey 4 prez 2k16
Jan 22, 2014
ypsi
I really really hope it doesn't come down to that but head injuries are scary. He's a great goal scorer and a big guy and we could always use that on the team.

I might also be biased because he's a really nice guy and I don't wanna see him have to never play again, though.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
It means his concussion symptoms have returned and are severe enough to take him out of the Olympics. How long was Eaves out with his concussion? Pronger's career is essentially over except for the paperwork. Ditto Marc Savard. At some point it could become a question of not when he gets healthy, but if he gets healthy.

Which sucks for him..but from a business perspective it's hardly the worst news for the Wings. It would be difficult to move his contract either way (especially given that Holland wouldn't want to anyway) and this may take that decision from him.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Holland hoping Franzen will start practising next week.

That's good news!

Would love to see the Mule-Z-Nyquist line again this season. May not happen, but boy those 3 are dynamite together.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
It's good that he's at a point where he might practise again. I won't hold my breath, though. His symptoms could easily come back.

Brandel*

Ansar Khan @AnsarKhanMLive

Franzen said he feels much better. Has skated twice. He thinks he'll be ready for first game after break next Wednesday.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
And also Weiss is ready to go...?

So we would have:

Gus - Dats - Abdelkader
Jurco - Sheahan - Tatar
Mule - Weiss - Alfie
Miller - Helm - Andersson

Zetterberg LTIR
Bertuzzi healthy scratch
Cleary healthy scratch

Sammy waived
Eaves waived
Tootoo waived

Amrcn Ftbll

Quincey 4 prez 2k16
Jan 22, 2014
ypsi
I truly hope he comes back and stays back, I'm going to the game on the 7th and I'd love to see him.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
And also Weiss is ready to go...?

So we would have:

Gus - Dats - Abdelkader
Jurco - Sheahan - Tatar
Mule - Weiss - Alfie
Miller - Helm - Andersson

Zetterberg LTIR
Bertuzzi healthy scratch
Cleary healthy scratch

Sammy waived
Eaves waived
Tootoo waived

Switch Mule and Abdelkader and that lineup is pretty solid.

Also would prefer Glendening over Andersson as a winger on line 4. But no biggie there.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Switch Mule and Abdelkader and that lineup is pretty solid.

Also would prefer Glendening over Andersson as a winger on line 4. But no biggie there.

I also don't think Babcock is going to put Helm on the 4th line.

If he's not going to be centering the 3rd line its more likely he'll be centering Line 2.

Babs considers him the best 3rd line center in the league, there's no way he'd demote him to 4 for a guy coming off a serious injury who was playing terrible before.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I think it's an understatement to say that we will need him badly for the rest of the season. He was on a career numbers pace before going down on IR. If Datsyuk can capture lightning in a bottle 2011 playoffs style, and the youngins can continue to be as relevant as they have been... We could still have a dangerous team. Losing Zetterberg is beyond devastating.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I also don't think Babcock is going to put Helm on the 4th line.

If he's not going to be centering the 3rd line its more likely he'll be centering Line 2.

Babs considers him the best 3rd line center in the league, there's no way he'd demote him to 4 for a guy coming off a serious injury who was playing terrible before.

Yeah, maybe not. Really depends on what type of shape Weiss is in coming back from injury. I mean I'm fine with either Sheahan or Helm as the 2nd center in Zetterberg's absence, though I do think Sheahan brings a little more to the table offensively IMO.

Also do think it's telling Babs has chosen at times to play Sheahan higher in the depth when injuries have hit IIRC. Though Helm has done really well on the 2nd line too earlier this season. So Id be fine with either one, as long as they get some good wingers to work with.

Ideally though Weiss's surgery makes him look like a whole new man and he can grab that spot and give us a boost. But I'll hold my breath on that one.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
I think it's an understatement to say that we will need him badly for the rest of the season. He was on a career numbers pace before going down on IR. If Datsyuk can capture lightning in a bottle 2011 playoffs style, and the youngins can continue to be as relevant as they have been... We could still have a dangerous team. Losing Zetterberg is beyond devastating.

We. Haven't. Lost. Him. Yet.

shultzyfeelinirie20

Jan 30, 2012
Michigan
if weiss and Franzen can come back and play well we will be in good shape i truely believe that Weiss will be a new man it might take him a few games but i think he should end the year pretty well with us and get back on track

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad