Franzen vs Hartnell: Who will be remembered as the better player?

Who will be remembered as better player?

• Total voters

Boreal01

Nov 3, 2013
Toronto, Ontario
Peak goes to Franzen for his 08 and 09 playoff runs although Hartnell had the best individual season in 11-12

Career wise it's easily Hartnell, could have been Franzen if he didn't struggle with concussions but both he and Hartnell were still producing at reasonably high levels towards the end of their careers so it's difficult to say for sure

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Might be Swedish bias but I honestly very rarely have any reason to think about Hartnell so it's Franzén by default but mostly because his multi goal playoff games, post career concussions etc keeps him fresh in memory.

Not saying he was actually the better player(even though I might be inclined to believe so) but for me I will just remember him more, which might not be what you ask but it's still my answer. Franzén is also starting to fade though, very few players that stay fresh in memory a decade or so after their peak.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Took Franzen for both as Hartnell is a hard guy to remember and most players (perhaps wrongly) are often remembered for their peaks more than anything esle.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Eh since the question was "remembered as" I went by memory and said Franzen for both.

Looking at both player's careers though, yikes. Hartnell was much better than I remembered. He should lead the career aspect.

As for peak, Franzen demolishes Hartnell in the playoffs so I'd still go with him but it's much closer than I thoughtt

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
As a Wings fan, I firmly believe both Tampa teams would win in a 7 game series against the 08 Wings

Well, Tampa this year was over the salary cap by double digit millions. I would hope that the 2021 Lightning would stand a fighting chance.

08 Wings GPG - 3.13
21 Lightning GPG - 3.23

08 Wings GAPG - 2.24
21 Lightning GAPG - 2.625

Wings 72 goals in 23 playoff games, 40 surrendered.
Lightning 75 goals in 23 playoff games, 44 surrendered.

The Wings also held the puck for ludicrous amounts of time. Speed is a hell of a lot less important if you possess the puck. 23 playoff games and the 07-08 Wings faced about 150 less shots than the 20-21 Lightning did. They took and completely neutered the Chicago Blackhawks, the Pittsburgh Penguins, and several other strong offensive teams.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Grittier, more depth, younger, faster, better goal tending.

That's not a slight on the 08 Wings, I think they're a top 5 team of the Cap Era, but I do think they've become a bit overrated.

Hm. I can’t agree. Especially on the depth point of view.

Goaltending you probably have an argument. Although Osgood rocked a .930 SV in the playoffs.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Hartnell’s stats look WAY better. Idk how Franzen is dominating?

Because Franzen at his very best (Colorado series, San Jose series) was an unstoppable f***ing beast. Career wise, I agree Hartnell looks better. But Franzen's peak is better.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Hm. I can’t agree. Especially on the depth point of view.

Goaltending you probably have an argument. Although Osgood rocked a .930 SV in the playoffs.

The Wings faced way less shots. Osgood gave up 30 goals in 19 games on 430 shots. Vasy faced 699. This is why the Wings would win pretty much every series against Tampa. They controlled games.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Have to go with the Sith Lord here.

nZtLjRy.gif

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Took Franzen for both as Hartnell is a hard guy to remember and most players (perhaps wrongly) are often remembered for their peaks more than anything esle.

This has me scratching my head.

Scott Hartnell was pure WWF. One of the most entertaining players of the last generation. And he has like double the career points of Franzen.

I am wondering if the bulk of people who voted Franzen career over "Hartnall" career acted like this was about some other bloke.

Reactions: GreeningOil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad