Injury Report: Franzen out with concussion symptoms (Update Post #51)

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
We are starting to see the Griffins are NOT ready for NHL minutes!

Disagree. I'd say the majority of our callups are pretty close to ready for prime time. Even Jurco looked pretty good in his first ever sniff at the NHL, eating up almost 17 minutes of ice time.

It takes time for kids to get acquainted with the accelerated pace of the game at its top level, as well as the increased size and conditioning of the players. If there's any bright spot to all these injuries to be found, it's that our top prospects are getting a good idea of what they need to improve upon to really compete at this level and be successful

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
There is a silver lining in this easy December schedule.... I'm just having a hard time finding it.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
when everyone is healthy

MOOzFPP.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Doubt he has a concussion issue. More concerned with a eye issue like a scratched cornea or something of the sort.

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
As long as we're in a playoff spot, I'm not that worried about injuries this time of the season. With the olympics coming up, 30< players like Z, D and Franz will benefit from having some time off. It's when the playoffs starts everyone needs to be healthy. And the fact that a lot of young players are getting the chance to play is also great for the future. Plus finishing lower in the standings gives a higher draft position. Maybe we'll even have capspace to aquire a big name at the trading deadline with all the LTIR money saved?

Number 9*

As long as we're in a playoff spot, I'm not that worried about injuries this time of the season. With the olympics coming up, 30< players like Z, D and Franz will benefit from having some time off. It's when the playoffs starts everyone needs to be healthy. And the fact that a lot of young players are getting the chance to play is also great for the future. Plus finishing lower in the standings gives a higher draft position. Maybe we'll even have capspace to aquire a big name at the trading deadline with all the LTIR money saved?

Dude if they don't start winning there will be no playoffs! They're double horseshoe lucky they're in East right now! Don't ignore the fact that they are 15-20 and are LUCKY the loser point is in play.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Dude if they don't start winning there will be no playoffs! They're double horseshoe lucky they're in East right now! Don't ignore the fact that they are 15-20 and are LUCKY the loser point is in play.

Really? If the "loser point" wasn't in play, that means those shootout losses would just be ties...which means all of those teams that collected shootout wins against us would have fewer points.

Number 9*

Really? If the "loser point" wasn't in play, that means those shootout losses would just be ties...which means all of those teams that collected shootout wins against us would have fewer points.

Sugar coat this mess how ever you want! They're 15-20 and darn LUCKY they moved to the East this year!

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden

Safe to say there wont be time off for those players though

NyquistIsMyGod*

I guess Riley Sheahan will be the one coming up. I wonder who gets the #3C spot, he or Glendening.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Sugar coat this mess how ever you want! They're 15-20 and darn LUCKY they moved to the East this year!

I think people have issue with you ignoring the current point system.

Saying they are 15-20 is disingenuous.

I could say they have EARNED points in 24 of 35 games played. That is why they are in a playoff position.

I don't think you need to say 15-20 to make your point.

they are 15-11-9 for a total of 39pts

9th place in the east is 18-9-5 41pts

Detroit would be 10th in the West; and they are 6th in the east.

So your main point is true, the east is much weaker. People are going to disagree with how you quote the stats. So expect responses that are upset with you when u try to turn figures around. The point is valid.

But i could say we have collected points in over 66% of our games… we will def make the playoffs if we keep this up…. That will surely rub everyone the wrong way LOL.

Either way, our team is hurting on injuries. We are going to be lucky to KEEP a playoff spot in the east at this point.

I am mostly sad that I have to watch the Red Wings lose on HBO 24/7.

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013
There is a silver lining in this easy December schedule.... I'm just having a hard time finding it.

My silver lining is watching that POS Malkin get hurt against us honestly. Call me mean or brutal, but that made my day.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Helm. Andy. Glendening. Emmerton. Sheahan. Ferraro. Abdelkader in the past. I'm just really sick of the train of uncreative centers this organization has produced. This organization has produced just one 40+ point center in the past decade - Filppula. That's simply not enough.

Believe it or not that's better than some teams. #1/2Cs come from the 1st round & most #1Cs come from the top 5 or even 3 of the draft. Once you get to where the Wings pick it's not likely that the most skilled/BPA is a center as an center with an ounce of projectability is taken in the top 15 or top 20 of the draft. Does it make sense to take the C who's top end is that of a #2/3C or take the Dman/Winger that has top six upside or top 4 upside.

I'm not trying to defend their drafting record as it is poor in the mid 2000s but it's not as easy as you make it seem, especially when you aren't picking top 10. There may be only a handful of centers that project to be #1/2C that are picked outside of the 1st round every year & most of them have pretty big holes in their game. If you're able to pick one up a #1/2C in the later rounds it's pretty much the equivalent of winning the lottery.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
They are getting some time off right now, was what I meant. 82 game season + olympics would otherwise take it's toll on them even worse

Ja exactly. These are professionals, very successful ones at that. This new head-shot protocol is a nice way to give players time to stretch and rest without facing criticisms.

It works to mix things up and enjoy watching the younger guys. I was overjoyed to watch Jurco with Alfie and Dats, on the PP. This is the depth of the DRW no one even knows who will do what. Nyquist entered his first game this year and we won. Let's use this as an opportunity to see who we've got that brings success.

If we're meant to win the Cup this season, then we will. Being pissed about it now is a waste of time. This is the actual start of the season, Winter is near and the entire north is frozen. Ice-hockey is part of the celebration of nature in the north, it is for FUN! May the best team win. The Red Wings are going to be alright.

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
This organization has produced just one 40+ point center in the past decade - Filppula. That's simply not enough.

Just as true as the notion that the Devils havn't produced one single 40 starts a season-goalie in almost two decades. Dats and Z have been enough, just like Brodeur has been for the Devils. How many #3C scored 40< p the last ten years?

NyquistIsMyGod*

Opening night 6.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Abdelkader
Franzen-Weiss-Alfredsson

Thank god for the kids stepping up.

fimoknete

Jun 4, 2006
Roesrath, Germany
Just as true as the notion that the Devils havn't produced one single 40 starts a season-goalie in almost two decades. Dats and Z have been enough, just like Brodeur has been for the Devils. How many #3C scored 40< p the last ten years?

i guess he is pointing more to the time after dats and zetta. i dont see a legit number 1 center in this organisation at all.
this poor guy would have face all the crosbys, ovechkins and malkins of this league. i dont think nyquist can handle this

Probert

Feb 27, 2008
Boston, MA
I like how there was no call on the play. Do we need to just hire a bunch of goods line Boston has? :shakehead

Absolutely not. I think Boston has clearly shown that a team cannot win unless it is 100% dedicated to skill/finesse, and the Wings' players should continue to take it and like it from guys like Gudas while making the opposition pay the price on our resulting PP. :sarcasm:

Boy the Wings are an injured mess right now, thank goodness we have some talented kids in GR.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Helene St. James ‏@HeleneStJames 1h
#RedWings F Johan Franzen (blow to head Sunday) having concussion symptoms, so no timetable on his return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad