Confirmed with Link: Franson 1 year $3.3 mil (sides avoid arbitration)

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
And here is the problem. He played bottom pairing minutes in 2013, so he was on the ice less often to make less terrible plays. His play was just as bad, there was just less of it.

I disagree. Making plays with the puck like passing is a strength of Franson's game. As much as people hate him he makes the best tape to tape passes from the D. Including both Gardiner & Rielly. For a team that actually plays a brand of hockey that's about puck possession Franson would be a real asset... Honestly what was their to like about the team game Carlyle had this group play? I think everybody would agree nothing so if that's the case don't you guys think we can't make a real judgment of the players since they were set up to fail? We rip the teams defensive game yet we ignore to include that collectively the team played way too much in the D zone. You know what happens when that's the case? Well once again I'll post this quote.

"The game’s changed. They think there’s defending in today’s game. Nah, it’s how much you have the puck. Teams that play around in their own zone (say) they’re defending but they’re generally getting scored on or taking face-offs and they need a goalie to stand on his head if that’s the way they play,†said Sutter.

Does this not describe the past 2 years of Carlyle hockey?
Why are we hating on this guy when collectively the team game sucked? Only one guy (NOT INCLUDING GOALIES) thrived last season and that was Kessel. He was the only guy on the team Carlyle didn't try to control his game from behind the bench like he was playing a video game. Kessel didn't even get micromanaged out of the defensive zone that's the weakest part of his game... THAT'S WHY HE HAD A GOOD INDIVIDUAL YEAR.

Donald McRonald

Interested observer
Sep 13, 2009
United Nations
Franson can be a valuable asset to this club if deployed in a third pairing role.
I can see the defensive situation getting more complicated with this signing. One year for 3.3 is fair I'd say. The leafs are going to have to play seven D this year.

Sir Yeti

Jul 15, 2014
Franson can be a valuable asset to this club if deployed in a third pairing role.
I can see the defensive situation getting more complicated with this signing. One year for 3.3 is fair I'd say. The leafs are going to have to play seven D this year.
I think Franson will be traded shortly after this. He doesn't fit in the top four right now with Phaneuf, Reilly, Gards and Robidas. At 3.3 I don't think they use him on the bottom pair with Polak. Most likely Granberg gets brought up or I would even like to see Finn brought in to give him NHL experience in a limited role.

The real question here is what do they try and get back or who do they package him with. The obvious answer is Reimer IMO. So......
Franson + Reimer to ???? Winnipeg, Minnesota....

Lets take those two teams and what would you ask back from those teams?

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
Good signing. Reasonable cap hit for a player who should get traded by the deadline. Hopefully he nets at least a 4th rounder because he will not factor in leafs' long-term plans.

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
I think Franson will be traded shortly after this. He doesn't fit in the top four right now with Phaneuf, Reilly, Gards and Robidas. At 3.3 I don't think they use him on the bottom pair with Polak. Most likely Granberg gets brought up or I would even like to see Finn brought in to give him NHL experience in a limited role.

The real question here is what do they try and get back or who do they package him with. The obvious answer is Reimer IMO. So......
Franson + Reimer to ???? Winnipeg, Minnesota....

Lets take those two teams and what would you ask back from those teams?

Oh god... I don't know if those teams would have any need/interest in those two guys. I think both still have potential but there's a lot of warts and this fan base has chewed them up and spit them out so not sure how they're perceived in the rest of the league

Sir Yeti

Jul 15, 2014
Oh god... I don't know if those teams would have any need/interest in those two guys. I think both still have potential but there's a lot of warts and this fan base has chewed them up and spit them out so not sure how they're perceived in the rest of the league

True, hard to get an accurate depiction of the perceived value unless you can sit in on a GM conversation. I think a team would take a chance on potential but doubt there is much of significance coming back. Franson takes a lot of crap but he is an offensive d man that was playing with Gards most of the year who also isn't know for his defensive acumen either.

TheThrill81*

It doesn't matter if he plays on the 1st pairing or 3rd pairing, his cap hit is irrelevant since it's a 1 year deal and both sides did it to avoid arbitration. How much the Leafs truly value him will be determined next off-season.

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I don't know why everyone has turned on this guy so quickly.

He was frustrating but do we expect a Norris calibre defenceman out of someone who played bottom-4 minutes his entire career? I mean... the ENTIRE group of 6 on the backend on any given night was good for an atrocious giveaway every other shift anyway. Sometimes confidence in a player, or lack thereof, leads to even worse play, which is something I suspect happened with Franson.

Call me crazy but I really like what Franson brings to the lineup and I think some stability with new assistant coaches can really help him. I hope they don't move him and treat him fairly... he's gotten the short end of the stick around here for a while now.

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Watched some highlights of his play from the only playoffs this team has played in the past decade and he was dynamite.

This is one of those instances where Leaf Nation loses patience and the pack mentality kicks in and chases out a valuable piece.

You're sitting there crying about why MacA, Kulemin and Grabovski left as UFAs but are begging for this guy to be waived because he had a tough season, not unlike anyone else. It's mind boggling.

Also, he's key to the PP. Very good player to have playing bottom pair minutes and racking up points.

And I believe him when he says he doesn't want to leave, either. Doesn't sound like Bolland who mumbled that this is where he wants to be or something... Franson actually cares about putting on that Maple Leaf. He showed it last season when he took a $2M deal to stay with the club and again today when he took a bit less to avoid arbitration hearings so that the relationship with Nonis & Co stayed civil. I have a lot of respect for that.

Again, I really hope they don't trade him.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
Franson put up a good amount of points in an awful year for him and the team really, I don't love Cody but its a no brainer to take a 1 year at that hit.

I'm thinking we will see something like this if we keep him:
Phaneuf-Robidas
Gardiner-Franson
Rielly-Polak

Franson needs to earn that top 4 spot though, 1st PP shouldn't be automatic either with Rielly/Gardiner in the mix. I hope he does well and leafs move him at the TD for more than a 2nd.

TheThrill81*

Franson put up a good amount of points in an awful year for him and the team really, I don't love Cody but its a no brainer to take a 1 year at that hit.

I'm thinking we will see something like this if we keep him:
Phaneuf-Robidas
Gardiner-Franson
Rielly-Polak

Franson needs to earn that top 4 spot though, 1st PP shouldn't be automatic either with Rielly/Gardiner in the mix. I hope he does well and leafs move him at the TD for more than a 2nd.

If he earns a top 4 spot and does well, why should the Leafs trade him? It would be more beneficial to keep Franson. But I guess everyone is having an orgasm over next year's draft, so trade the entire roster for picks! And when you have no players left, trade management! :sarcasm:

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Franson is a good player, just last summer he was considered a 'keeper' along with Lupul by the same people that trash both players now.

He's going to have a training camp this season as well as having a new system to work in, way too early to count him out.

Tyler Biggs*

It's not a bad contract. Franson could have a bounce back year and be very tradeable from Christmas to the trade deadline, especially if some team gets into injury trouble.

It also gives the Leafs the luxury of not rushing Granberg. Another 30 or 40 games playing big minutes in the AHL, probably won't hurt Granberg. You can see he is close to ready, but we have hurt prospects before by rushing them. I would have no problem with easing in Granberg over the course of the year so that he is a regular by trade deadline. Because Granberg is still waiver exempt, you can move him up and down from the AHL as needed.

officialmark*

Franson is a good player, just last summer he was considered a 'keeper' along with Lupul by the same people that trash both players now.

He's going to have a training camp this season as well as having a new system to work in, way too early to count him out.

Exactly.

Renegade

Jun 23, 2013
Pickering, ON
I like this signing because it's only one year. People forget just how good he was in 2013. Great offensive skills and solid defensive game if he's played properly. This contract gives him one last shot to redeem himself, if not, he gets traded.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

You keep track of who says what from year to year?

My opinion has never changed(right?). I was never a fan of Franson since the 1st time I saw him.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I like this signing because it's only one year. People forget just how good he was in 2013. Great offensive skills and solid defensive game if he's played properly. This contract gives him one last shot to redeem himself, if not, he gets traded.

I'm okay with this.

It is a 1 year deal, and makes him moveable and flushable.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'm okay with this.

It is a 1 year deal, and makes him moveable and flushable.

One more contract that can be peddled at the deadline for some delicious 2015 draft picks if/when we are at the bottom of the standings.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Franson what an absolute joke, Nonis is a disgrace.

lol what option did nonis have? once arbitration was set his only options were to settle or go to arbitration. all in all i think nonis did good on this one. a little more then i would have liked but only 1 year. good signing. you better believe franson is going to kill it in a contract year.

Would you have rather it went to arbitration and would have likely got more?

there was that risk which is why im glad franson/leafs could get something worked out. why put the control in someone elses hands when you can make the decision yourself.

He would have rather waived him for nothing

not an option

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad