Recalled/Assigned: Frankie Corrado Called Up from the Chicago Wolves

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
We're talking about 2 years from now. The circumstances could be completely different and the cap is likely to go back up by then.

As well, despite how gloomy our prospects look - it's not like the series is 0-3 yet. You put out the best lineup out there and hope for the best.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
If making it out of the 1st round depends on a 19 year old rookie playing 12 minutes in his 6th NHL game...Besides, with the cap going down significantly, at $599K per year, an ELC contract like Corrado's for a RHD is a gift not to be wasted even if its only 1 year of 3. If its the SCF then you do it otherwise its poor asset management IMO, unless you're desperate...

I think everyone was willing for us to go out and spend a pick on depth defenseman and fourth line upgrades, so why would we not play Corrado when the penalty is a possible loss of a million dollars of the cap 2 years from now

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
corrado was 4-0 in chances last night and alberts was 5-1. i honestly think hes the reason that san jose's forward depth hasn't killed us this series and while i understand and agree with the philosophy we've talked about earlier in the thread, i think he's probably too valuable to not use, unless tanev's ready. barker alberts or joslin alberts would be getting creamed even in these super soft minutes

Yeah, but in 12 minutes I just don't see it being worthwhile, not with the team on the verge of being turfed here. Might as well put Ballard in for his last few games as a Canuck.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Yeah, but in 12 minutes I just don't see it being worthwhile, not with the team on the verge of being turfed here. Might as well put Ballard in for his last few games as a Canuck.

AV would just as soon put on the Canucks jersey and come out of retirement before he puts Ballard back in if injuries were that numerous.:laugh:

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
I've been damn impressed with Corrado. It just goes to show you how much of an embarrassment Team Canada's coaching staff was to not have him on the team. Playing all of those favourites probably cost them a podium finish.

Only a few nhl games near the end of the season and all of a sudden he's playing in a playoff game. He obviously got knocked down by Torres pretty hard in the first game, but it was unexpected. Also, it's Torres. He can knock down anyone. Aside from that, I've been impressed though. So steady. It's too bad Edler and Bieksa don't seem to think they have to play a consistently as tanev or corrado.

Last edited:

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
I've been damn impressed with Corrado. It just goes to show you how much of an embarrassment Team Canada's coaching staff was to not have him on the team. Playing all of those favourites probably cost them a podium finish.

Only a few nhl games near the end of the season and all of a sudden he's playing in a playoff game. He obviously got knocked down by Torres pretty hard in the first game, but it was unexpected. Also, it's Torres. He can knock down anyone. Aside from that, I've been impressed though. So steady. It's too bad Edler and Bieksa don't seem to think they have to play a consistently as tanev or corrado.

they play against different players, in different minutes

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Confirmed: Canucks will burn Corrado's first year of his ELC tonight. Will be interested to see how this plays out moving forward.

King of the ES*

Confirmed: Canucks will burn Corrado's first year of his ELC tonight. Will be interested to see how this plays out moving forward.

Incredible waste. He's not even playing well.

serge2k

Sep 16, 2006

I'm gonna guess it will have little significant long term effect.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
True. Still, there is definitely a consistency to the young guys that Bieksa and Edler have yet to master.

thats kind of like saying tom sestito is more consisent than ryan kesler. sure? but i'm sure ryan kesler could be as consistent if he wanted to also be tom sestito. i dont think he does

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
thats kind of like saying tom sestito is more consisent than ryan kesler. sure? but i'm sure ryan kesler could be as consistent if he wanted to also be tom sestito. i dont think he does

If Sestito was consistently good and Kesler was wildly erratic then it would be the same.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
If Sestito was consistently good and Kesler was wildly erratic then it would be the same.

edler and bieksa aren't wildly erratic though. they do good things and they do bad things commensurate with their skill level. its not their fault people have a Platonic Edler and Platonic Bieksa in their heads for comparison

its kind of like saying halak is inconsistent because he can't do what he did against the penguins and caps year in, year out. it's not that hes inconsistent, its that his standards of comparison are out of whack and he's not that good.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
edler and bieksa aren't wildly erratic though.

Agree to disagree. They both have the ability to be the best or worst player on the ice game to game or sometimes shift to shift. Tanev and Corrado aren't going to be the best in any games, but they aren't going to be the worst either. We'd be much better off with Edler and Bieksa being good most of the time rather than awful to great.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Agree to disagree. They both have the ability to be the best or worst player on the ice game to game or sometimes shift to shift. Tanev and Corrado aren't going to be the best in any games, but they aren't going to be the worst either. We'd be much better off with Edler and Bieksa being good most of the time rather than awful to great.

neither edler or bieksa go from The Best to The Worst in a game though, they go through stretches in their career where they get out matched and stretches through their career where they do really well. circumstance has a lot to do with this

tanev and corrado can very easily be the worst player in any game. they're 22 and 20 and play against super soft competition. corrado had some pretty tough shifts against kane and i think tanevs struggles against top end competition are fairly well documented. there's a reason they're on the 3rd pair and its because they arent good enough. yet.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
neither edler or bieksa go from The Best to The Worst in a game though, they go through stretches in their career where they get out matched and stretches through their career where they do really well. circumstance has a lot to do with this

tanev and corrado can very easily be the worst player in any game. they're 22 and 20 and play against super soft competition. corrado had some pretty tough shifts against kane and i think tanevs struggles against top end competition are fairly well documented. there's a reason they're on the 3rd pair and its because they arent good enough. yet.

Edler and Bieksa are better players, no doubt. They play much tougher competition. Their games are also much more erratic imo. When they make good decisions, they play well. They make a lot of bad decisions.

Tanev, and to a lesser extent Corrado, have shown consistency to their game. They make good decisions a larger percentage of the time. When they struggle, it tends to be with physical ability. They get outmuscled etc. I agree, they aren't good enough to play those minutes yet. When they are I suspect they'll be more consistent players than Edler and Bieksa.

Garrison and Hamhuis are great examples of this. Edler has a ton more talent than either of those guys, but he's much less effective because he's so inconsistent.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Edler and Bieksa are better players, no doubt. They play much tougher competition. Their games are also much more erratic imo. When they make good decisions, they play well. They make a lot of bad decisions.

what i mean is that they're against players that make those bad decisions Really Painful. there are plenty of games where edler goes 9-3 in scoring chances but people only remember him for the latter and games where tanev goes like 0-5 but everyone remembers how that chance was actually ben eager backhanding it into the logo or whatever

bieksa has had a legit bad year, but edler has for the past month or so been legitimately a positive player, but nobody recognizes this.

Tanev, and to a lesser extent Corrado, have shown consistency to their game. They make good decisions a larger percentage of the time.

they usually have more time and less impact when making those decisions. not that calmness isnt a part of their game, but it wasnt very long ago that people claimed elder had ice in his veins. when he was the de facto second pairing behind a lights out bieksa/hamhuis he killed it. now that the first and second pair get pretty similar even strength matchups, he struggles from time to time.

tanev is never going to get Edler Minutes and corrado is almost certainly going to end up being a better player than bieksa

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
what i mean is that they're against players that make those bad decisions Really Painful. there are plenty of games where edler goes 9-3 in scoring chances but people only remember him for the latter and games where tanev goes like 0-5 but everyone remembers how that chance was actually ben eager backhanding it into the logo or whatever

bieksa has had a legit bad year, but edler has for the past month or so been legitimately a positive player, but nobody recognizes this.

they usually have more time and less impact when making those decisions. not that calmness isnt a part of their game, but it wasnt very long ago that people claimed elder had ice in his veins. when he was the de facto second pairing behind a lights out bieksa/hamhuis he killed it. now that the first and second pair get pretty similar even strength matchups, he struggles from time to time.

tanev is never going to get Edler Minutes and corrado is almost certainly going to end up being a better player than bieksa

That's an understatement. He's been better the last month but pretty bad for a calendar year and inconsistent his whole career. He rarely "killed it" behind Bieksa and Hamhuis.

The quality of their minutes makes it easier on the young guys, their mistakes are less glaring. Still, I just don't see them prone to throwing the puck up the middle or completely blowing an assignment like Bieksa and Edler are.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
It'll be interesting to see what happens in 2014-15 with Corrado. He probably spends most of next year in the AHL, and likely for much of 14-15 too.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
The quality of their minutes makes it easier on the young guys, their mistakes are less glaring. Still, I just don't see them prone to throwing the puck up the middle or completely blowing an assignment like Bieksa and Edler are.

you just havent seen them against elite competition for more than a few shifts at a time. i think the point is probably academic until that happens

look, the underlying point of this entire conversation is that i feel people use inconsistent to describe a phenomenon that is much more easily ascribed to talent/playing ability. a lot of times you hear "x isn't consistent" when "x isn't good enough" would be more appropriate.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
you just havent seen them against elite competition for more than a few shifts at a time. i think the point is probably academic until that happens

look, the underlying point of this entire conversation is that i feel people use inconsistent to describe a phenomenon that is much more easily ascribed to talent/playing ability. a lot of times you hear "x isn't consistent" when "x isn't good enough" would be more appropriate.

"x isn't good enough" to me describes a lack of talent. Ebbett and Alberts come to mind, Bieksa and Edler do not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad