Recalled/Assigned: Frankie Corrado Called Up from the Chicago Wolves

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
"x isn't good enough" to me describes a lack of talent. Ebbett and Alberts come to mind, Bieksa and Edler do not.

its relative. thats why i used the qualifier good enough. edler isn't good enough to play ryan suter minutes, but he's good. corrado isn't good enough to play edler minutes, but he's talented.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Corrado is in this teams top 6 next year. He clearly has the ability.

So did Tanev, when he spent much of the year in the AHL last year.

Gillis loves stashing NHL-ready depth in the minors to play 'big minutes'. Really, i think it's just his way of extending the 'depth chart' with quality. Fill the NHL roster with 8 defenceman (2 of whom are spare vets) and have that extra defenceman or two in the minors (Corrado) ready for call-ups when injuries are there, and present an opportunity to get him into the NHL lineup.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
So did Tanev, when he spent much of the year in the AHL last year.

Gillis loves stashing NHL-ready depth in the minors to play 'big minutes'. Really, i think it's just his way of extending the 'depth chart' with quality. Fill the NHL roster with 8 defenceman (2 of whom are spare vets) and have that extra defenceman or two in the minors (Corrado) ready for call-ups when injuries are there, and present an opportunity to get him into the NHL lineup.

Except next year the cap drops $6-million and having a capable ELC player in the top 6 is going to be necessary, unless we go with Alberts or someone like that full-time in the top 6.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
It'll be interesting to see what happens in 2014-15 with Corrado. He probably spends most of next year in the AHL, and likely for much of 14-15 too.

Yeah, I'd agree with SC. I think he is in the starting line up next season and may just be the first prospect in a long time to never play a partial or full season in the AHL.

Although they were meaningless games, he played some solid minutes in his 3 reg season games, along side Edler. They showed good chemistry and if that carries forward to next season, ice time would not be as much of a worry. Also, he might be able to get some time in on the PP when the new coach goes back to a traditional 2 D PP unit.

Also, can't forget his great and much debated contract. He provides value to the team surpassing what he costs, important in this upcoming/castrated salary cap season.

And Gillis did say he was not going to sign these journey men players because he thought there were young players in our system who will be able to step up next season. I think Corrado is that player.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
corrado has already shown a significant offensive upside that tanev will probably never match, too. i agree that corrado will probably stick next year

i mean we've all seen disappointing training camps so never say never but i think the chances are better than 50% that he's a regular in 2014

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
corrado has already shown a significant offensive upside that tanev will probably never match, too. i agree that corrado will probably stick next year

i mean we've all seen disappointing training camps so never say never but i think the chances are better than 50% that he's a regular in 2014
Might be a necessity given the size of his contract in a low cap year.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
i mean we've all seen disappointing training camps

That would probably matter less for him since he's already played meaningful games and will have more of a reference than camp/junior/AHL for a decision to be made.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
eh, i dont think it will be. The Best ELCS save like 3-5m. corrado will probably be like 1m of benefit at best

considering the canucks have been fielding competitive teams down anywhere from 6m to 16m in injuries i dunno if 1m is going to make or break them

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
That would probably matter less for him since he's already played meaningful games and will have more of a reference than camp/junior/AHL for a decision to be made.

he could pull a theo peckham and come to camp out of shape and fat

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
Depends on how the team moves forward. Are we in for a re-tool or is the goal to fit as much of the current team under the cap for next season?

I hope it's the former.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
eh, i dont think it will be. The Best ELCS save like 3-5m. corrado will probably be like 1m of benefit at best

considering the canucks have been fielding competitive teams down anywhere from 6m to 16m in injuries i dunno if 1m is going to make or break them
Assuming that Aquini is willing to fork over a sizeable amount of money in buying out Ballard *and* Booth's contracts - you might be right. As well as being able to deal Luongo without taking a garbage contract (or picking up some of his salary) in return.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Assuming that Aquini is willing to fork over a sizeable amount of money in buying out Ballard *and* Booth's contracts - you might be right. As well as being able to deal Luongo without taking a garbage contract (or picking up some of his salary) in return.

ive been pretty vocal about it, booth isnt going anywhere unless they re-sign roy at a great deal

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley

There are only a few teams with any kind of cap crunch and a third of the league with 18.5m+ in cap space. Somebody is going to take those guys on for nothing if it comes to that.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
ive been pretty vocal about it, booth isnt going anywhere unless they re-sign roy at a great deal

I don't think Roy is going to re-sign if AV is still coach of the Canucks.

There are only a few teams with any kind of cap crunch and a third of the league with 18.5m+ in cap space. Somebody is going to take those guys on for nothing if it comes to that.
You might be right about Booth but Ballard? AVs use of him (whether justified or not) I would imagine has eliminated any interest of other teams acquiring him even for nothing (given the size of his contract).

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Had to ice the best line-up at all costs. Without Corrado's 13 minutes tonight, Canucks might never have almost got the extra point. 20 minutes away from a loser point :(

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Had to ice the best line-up at all costs. Without Corrado's 13 minutes tonight, Canucks might never have almost got the extra point. 20 minutes away from a loser point :(

:laugh: Honestly, I doubt it will make much difference in the end. I see Corrado playing in the AHL next season with occasional call-ups to the big leagues. Then finally getting a full season the year after. That would allow us to get a good bridge contract.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Honestly, I think he has shown that he's good enough to be on the third pairing regularly next year. Smart NHL management teams take advantage of good young players on ELC's so that they can maximize value and use that extra money elsewhere(*cough* secondary scoring *cough*). Every few hundred thousand saved makes a difference. The great thing is that Corrado is a RHD as well.

Assuming that Edler isn't traded, I'd like to see this next year:

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Tanev
Garrison-Corrado

Spread the minutes pretty evenly, Garrison/Edler/Hamhuis/Bieksa can still play the majority of mins on PP/PK/4on4 situations and be the "top 4".

hockeywoot

Oct 29, 2010
China
Kid's great.
What a steal of a pick!

He could crack the roster.
Has the tools.
Needs to get stronger though.

Yossarian54

Oct 12, 2011
Perth, WA
:laugh: Honestly, I doubt it will make much difference in the end. I see Corrado playing in the AHL next season with occasional call-ups to the big leagues. Then finally getting a full season the year after. That would allow us to get a good bridge contract.

I think we'll get a good 2nd contract anyway, as barring a complete meltdown, he's going to be 5/6 on the depth chart for the next 2 years.

If Corrado does stick, do you think Andersson could be used as the ELC injury call-up?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad